PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Floss wrote: »
    What brand is it?

It's Animal Warehouse own brand, I don't know if they trade in the UK
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Its very 'freeing' I have found decluttering, and realise I really don't need to have all this junk around me :)

The last two boxes will be done and dusted today ,its mostly old paperwork which will be shredded and recycled Then its onwards to the spare room :) definitely a woman on a mission this week:)
    making do with whats in the cupboard Soup from the freezer and probably a salad or sorts for dinner tonight last nights one was delicious tonight I think its probably going to be tuna and sweetcorn from the tin stash mixed with mayo and a good grating of black pepper it will do with salad for tonight and probably tomorrow as well and a couple of tins will be used up from my stash so a make do and a minimise in one go there :)

Mending I have two edges to knit for one of my charity blankets ,so I will do that tonight while watching TV
  • Hi. Is it okay if I join you all?

Decluttering is definatately on my agenda, I moved for the first time in 17 years in August so there's already a lot of unnecessary stuff gone. Plenty still to go however and if I can decrease.any debt with it then all good.
    I have put new stiff on soles on my work shoes and a bit of shoe glue to add some life.
    I did get caught out last month however, my 2 and half year old Bosch washing machine died and I got it repaired- £50, the guy wasn't a hundred percent sure he'd fixed it and said if it went again it was the motor which would cost £160 in parts alone. 3 washes later and I had to buy a new machine the week before Christmas..oh well, I tried. :)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Still working on the crochet blanket so far it's removed 6 balls of wool from my stash
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A corner to corner works well with knitting. Basically cast on two increase one stitch at the beginning of every row till you get a triangle half the size of the square then you knit it a row for the centre after that knit 1 k2tog k it to the end of every row till you only have two left then k2 tog to finish. Make all your squares the same size till you have enough to make a blanket the size you want. I hope that makes sense.

That's how I do mine; I have quite a few squares knitted that are now on the "waiting to be sewn up" pile plus a lot more oddments to make yet more squares.
    Hi. Is it okay if I join you all?

I did get caught out last month however, my 2 and half year old Bosch washing machine died and I got it repaired- £50, the guy wasn't a hundred percent sure he'd fixed it and said if it went again it was the motor which would cost £160 in parts alone. 3 washes later and I had to buy a new machine the week before Christmas..oh well, I tried. :)

Welcome to the thread :hello: and bad luck on the washing machine front. :(

Making do with existing food stocks for as long as I can this month - there's plenty to go at! :o

Yesterday I "mended" the bathroom sink that seemed to be taking an age to empty. I found a bottle of plug unblocker powder stuff in the cleaning box and there was just enough in it for one treatment. Sink now unblocked and empty bottle minimised to the recycling bin.

Will be taking down the decs/cards/tree tomorrow and am hoping I have some spare bulbs as the tree lights decided to conk out on NYD. :(
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • THIRZAH wrote: »
    If you have any M&S clothes in your donation Scarlet don't forget to ask Oxf*m for a M&S voucher.
    Thanks Thirzah, I'd forgotten about that
  • Hiya everyone and a very happy New Year to you all :D

Misstra - you are an absolute STAR for re starting this thread! It has seen me through so much over the past few years and must have saved me tons of cash. It has also been the source of much encouragement, understanding and great ideas! Thank you, and all my 'old' friends on here!:A

So what for 2018

1) go back to setting monthly goals for NSDs! So this month I ve been kind to myself and set a goal of 20/31.
    2) keeping on meal planning
    3) Minimising: challenging myself to get rid of 30 things a month

So far:
    MAKE DO: got a large salmon for £11 just after Christmas and froze it in fillets - so this evening's tea was salmon, rice and Thai peas (cant remember which chef it was that gave me the idea for these - Nigella??). So thai peas are: Cook sufficient ordinary frozen peas for 4 people and add 1/2 teaspoon of green thai curry paste and 4 teaspoons of sour cream or creme fresh. Using a stick blender or similar reduce to the consistency of mushy peas - v yum! And livens up peas no end!

MEND - while folding up the washing noticed that the hem of some trousers (£1 in a chazzer sale F&F) had come down and so sewed that up lickity split!Need to get to work on 'mending' my plants as they are all having babies - i.e.a massive repot for many of them is due!

MINIMISE - I have two large bags in my bedroom destined for a chazzer - they have some 30 items in them from December's declutter:
    1 set of necklace and earings which were a gift I didnt like
    4 posh tops I was hanging onto for years and have never worn bar once!
    5 tops that dont fit me
    1 pair of socks and 1 t-shirt to rags as they were too tatty to wear anymore - if I was honest
    5 books - read but no desire to keep
    1 duplicate diary - again a gift
    8 hangers (the clip sort - which I no longer want to use)
    4 hair ties/scrunchies
    11 random forks (still left with 2 sets of 4!)
    That was easy!!!
    Must go and finish current book which can then start the January pile of 30!
    Anyone else want to join in the challenge?
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’ll join again, please.

We’ve decided we want to move house this year, and a guesstimate shows we need about 5 times more money than currently in our savings account, so it’s time to tighten those belts!

Tonight I made carrots, potatoes and meatballs for dinner; the veggies were a bit sad (bought at least 2 weeks ago) and the ground meat was a day past it’s sell-by date. I made custard from longlife milk and custard powder.

While watching Death in Paradise I mended my woollen sweater, a legging, tights, a dress-up or fancy dress (bridesmaid dress from the bhs sale, which my dds use for formal and festive occasions, and for dressing up. The dresses hold up incredibly well and wash weel, too), and my new-to-me woollen cardi (the neck bit was leaving the body of the cardi).

About this woollen cardi: it was handed down to me by my Aunt (who is 86, and has my size and impeccable classic taste), and I love it, but it had a bit of a ‘poor and neglected’ feel to it. I bought a small wool shearer machine, and spent 90 minutes on Boxing Day shearing the cardi. My Mum told me not to bother, but I persevered and it looks really good now. It’s nice and light and waaaarrrmm.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'll join again this year and will try and post more often but just by reading the thread I make do, mend and minimise more. I am going to declutter 2018 items in 2018.

Minimizing so far this year includes cutlery, magazines and old clothes.

Mending - I've seen a button back on DS2 coat and have shortened 2 of the 4 pairs of trousers that DH wants shortened. Will do the others when he can be bothered to try them on so I can get the length right.

Make do- with food from stores. Also using up toothpaste samples that were in the cupboard and nobody has complained yet that the tubes are too small.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have mended a rip in dd1ks skirt, a rip in a legging, and 2 pairs of thick tights.

Eating down the freezer: I found and ate a few slices of Easter bread (from April 2017). It was still fine.
    Last night I made small sausage rolls from large frozen sausages cut in 3, wrapped in defrosted pie dough. Great success with our young guest and my dds.

I noticed we have a few bits and pieces of veg and 2 spoonfuls of pasta in the fridge and the pantry, so I will make a pint of soup tomorrow.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure