Why do we pay council workers Pension ???

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Finally ...............Finally someone else agrees what a complete and utter pi55 take the public sector pension arrangements are with as i said many retiring at 55 and having more income from their pension than if they continued working. Us however will work till we drop to pay for them to have the lifestyle

If the pensions are so good why didn't you work in the public sector, and get one too? I worked mainly in the private sector, but I now work as a university lecturer, which is not strictly public sector, but I get a TPS pension. It is great pension, but it only just about bridges the gap between working in my profession (quantity surveying) and lecturing.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    johndough wrote: »

Blame Margaret Thatcher.

Will some people ever move on.

:easter_os
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    johndough wrote: »

Blame Margaret Thatcher.

d.

Blame Eve- she started it.:cool:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Finally ...............Finally someone else agrees what a complete and utter pi55 take the public sector pension arrangements are with as i said many retiring at 55 and having more income from their pension than if they continued working. Us however will work till we drop to pay for them to have the lifestyle Posted by Muscle750

Mr S and I both retired at 60, not 55, on the basis of our public sector pensions - a bit of civil service for him, a bit of LGPS for me - but the bulk of our pensions are from our joint 50+ years of service in the Armed Forces. We made our choices, you made yours.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    !!!!!!, some of you just don't get the reality of the Civil Service (and other Public Sector), do you? I posted this last month in response to a similar moan, but I could also add that anybody who works in any branch of the Public Sector pretty much deserves a medal, if only for having to put up with the moaners who have got the wrong end of the stick about how wonderful it is...you think it's so good, go get a job with them..

"when I came out of the CS into a similar role"industry" I got a 22% pay rise and enrolled into a DB pension with similar benefits (actually better, death in service is 4x salary, was only 3x in CS).... so my CS salary was way under the "going rate", my pension was not quite so good, so stop moaning about public sector schemes when they (and the salaries) are often inferior to those in Industry"

This is a real situation, so tell me now which is better???

Rant Over....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Because it was a contract taken out between the employee and employer. That's why it needs to be paid. Going forward I do expect it to go completely.

It is also a funded scheme as others have said, and like many other schemes suffered from government regulation which restricted growth.

The schemes are re-evaluated every three years and yes, many employers have to put in 20% contributions.

It is untrue that one third of council tax goes in pension payments. Salary bills are only part of what makes up the bill.
  • agentk
    agentk Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GunJack wrote: »
    !!!!!!, some of you just don't get the reality of the Civil Service (and other Public Sector), do you? I posted this last month in response to a similar moan, but I could also add that anybody who works in any branch of the Public Sector pretty much deserves a medal, if only for having to put up with the moaners who have got the wrong end of the stick about how wonderful it is...you think it's so good, go get a job with them..

"when I came out of the CS into a similar role"industry" I got a 22% pay rise and enrolled into a DB pension with similar benefits (actually better, death in service is 4x salary, was only 3x in CS).... so my CS salary was way under the "going rate", my pension was not quite so good, so stop moaning about public sector schemes when they (and the salaries) are often inferior to those in Industry"

This is a real situation, so tell me now which is better???

Rant Over....

Agree. Just started last week. LA Caretaking and cleaning split shifts 30 hr contract £7.79 hr anybody want to swap! Because i don't think i will be there long. Very different than my expectaions regarding work load.:eek:
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2017 at 10:39PM
    collectors wrote: »
    Hi, can someone say why do we pay council workers pension. I be-leave I'm right in saying that around around 1/3 "& rising"of what we pay in council tax goes to council staff like office workers, dustbin men & women & so on. I have no problem with the workers who signed up for this as i am sure i would have done the same, but why are our rates being used for this. I don't get a pension subsidized like this, why should these workers get it with a massive loss to our local areas help & maintenance. These workers get a state pension on top of this as well. Its certainly wrong.

By the same way the calculation that makes you "be-leave" around 1/3rd of Council Tax goes towards pensions I can demonstrate that absolutely none of your Council Tax goes towards pensions.

Do you think people would believe a figure of 0%? If not why do you believe 33%? Is it because you know 33% is correct (if so show us all how this is the case) or because someone told you it was true?
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    By the same way the calculation that makes you "be-leave" around 1/3rd of Council Tax goes towards pensions I can demonstrate that absolutely none of your Council Tax goes towards pensions.

Do you think people would believe a figure of 0%? If not why do you believe 33%? Is it because you know 33% is correct (if so show us all how this is the case) or because someone told you it was true?

I can't argue with either 0% or 33%, but I do understand that the LGPS pays the Basic Pension (based on length of service) but that any 'uprating' as a result of enhanced voluntary severance or ill-health are charged to the Council Tax.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Their pensions are deferred pay, part of their employment T&Cs.

Of course it would be cheaper if we just hanged 'em all when they reached pension age, but not absolutely all of them would deserve it.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport