Which mattress? (merged threads)

Comments

• thank you so much for your answer! so what is the best after pocket spring mattress???
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thank you so much for your answer! so what is the best after pocket spring mattress???

I think more and more people are going for pocket sprung and memory foam, this is certainly what I am leaning towards, however I'm not an expert on it, Sure Tim will be around soon to advise though.
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    what do you guys think of memory foam mattresses?
    i have a superking size bed and a memory foam mattress at first it was great, now the sides of the mattress feels like it is sucking you in! like you are gonna sleep on the slacks,its very uncomfotable but the middle is still fine! (crazy explanation i know!)
    i only got it 5 months ago, i wonder if i have any rights since the description says it has a 15 year guarantee?

What make and model is it?

If it is still under guarantee then get it replaced.
  • Tim_Deegan
    alictait wrote: »
    I think more and more people are going for pocket sprung and memory foam, this is certainly what I am leaning towards, however I'm not an expert on it, Sure Tim will be around soon to advise though.

Pocket sprung and memory foam is by far the best option for support.

On another subject, I just stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights, and the mattress was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. So I had a look to see what it was:
    It was made by Layzee Beds. It was twin sprung, topped with latex. The hotel were probably charged a fortune for it, and to be honest they were ripped off. So if anyone is tempted, don't bother.
  • geo139
    geo139 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi, i've been looking at getting a new small double mattress, i found http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/MemoryPedic_Reflex_Pocket_Mattress.htm

Do you think it would be worth getting that, or a similar priced open spring mattress?

I'm not sure if the RRP is worth looking at or if its there to make the retailer look like its giving a good deal.

Cheers for any help!
  • Tim_Deegan
    geo139 wrote: »
    Hi, i've been looking at getting a new small double mattress, i found http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/MemoryPedic_Reflex_Pocket_Mattress.htm

Do you think it would be worth getting that, or a similar priced open spring mattress?

I'm not sure if the RRP is worth looking at or if its there to make the retailer look like its giving a good deal.

Cheers for any help!

You do know that the springs aren't proper full size pocket springs don't you?

They are the smaller cheaper reflex foam encapsulated type. Also the foam on the top and bottom of the mattress is reflex foam, and not memory foam.

Personally I think you would be better off with a good quality open coil sprung mattress.
  • povster wrote: »
    Emailed onlinebeds.com today and got the qoute for £379 + £15 delivery for La Romantica Madrid Mattress (which is not listed on their website)

Good job I checked the spec with them as turns out its only memory foam ONE SIDE!! Not 2" both sides as listed on bedlum-beds (£415)

Please beware anybody thinking it is the same its not! And I'm not sure why/how??

I've obviously been a bit slow and didn't realise that Tim's site was Bedlum Beds:embarasse I have now emailed Bedlum Beds to confirm that the Madrid is actually two-sided, as I can't see it not being, as it fully advertised on his website as two-sided, particularly as he given such honest and independant advice on this site. I can only assume Online Beds are still dealing with the older model, hence why they are selling it cheaper? Anyway when they get back in touch to confirm I'll let you know straight away. (Obviously Tim can't reply to our request on this forum, cause I'm sure some do goodie would accuse him of advertising his own website)

The quest for a mattress continues..........................
  • Hi everyone, not sure if I'm posting this properly as I'm a complete newbie but I hope I'll be forgiven if I've got it wrong.

Anyway, we've seen a mattress (after a lot of searching) that we think fits our requirements at an affordable price 'Snug Super coolmax 500 double' (£219.00), it has a top layer of 2" 55kg/m3 of visco memory foam and a 2nd layer of 6" reflex support layer which is 'high resilience reflex polyurethane open cell base foam'. But after reading the faq's on the website we are now unsure. There was a question about weight restrictions and the answer was that people upto 14 stone should go for their 'Snug super' mattresses 50-60kg/m3 and people up to 18 stone should should go for their 'Snug supreme' mattresses 75-80kg/m3. I have looked on many other websites to see if they mention weight restrictions but couldn't find any. So I was wondering if anyone knew if this was just a ploy to get customers to buy a more expensive mattress or if it is true?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,:cheesy:
  • Tim_Deegan
    anniemay wrote: »
    Hi everyone, not sure if I'm posting this properly as I'm a complete newbie but I hope I'll be forgiven if I've got it wrong.

Anyway, we've seen a mattress (after a lot of searching) that we think fits our requirements at an affordable price 'Snug Super coolmax 500 double' (£219.00), it has a top layer of 2" 55kg/m3 of visco memory foam and a 2nd layer of 6" reflex support layer which is 'high resilience reflex polyurethane open cell base foam'.

It's the memory foam that is open celled
    anniemay wrote: »
    But after reading the faq's on the website we are now unsure. There was a question about weight restrictions and the answer was that people upto 14 stone should go for their 'Snug super' mattresses 50-60kg/m3 and people up to 18 stone should should go for their 'Snug supreme' mattresses 75-80kg/m3. I have looked on many other websites to see if they mention weight restrictions but couldn't find any. So I was wondering if anyone knew if this was just a ploy to get customers to buy a more expensive mattress or if it is true?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,:cheesy:

It does sound like a marketing ploy. 55kg is really too low, and won't give very good support. 75-80kg is too high, and has a very slow recovery rate which means that it can be difficult to change position in bed.

The ideal density is 60-70kg per m3.
  • Thanks for the reply, I think I need to look round some more but its sooo confusing and stressful as we can't afford to make the wrong choice, if we don't get it right we will be stuck with it for quite a while and we've both got bad backs already.

Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport