PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Method
    Place 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder
    and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Make a well in the middle and add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Combine by gradually imixing the flour into the olive oil and water, adding some extra water if you need it. You can use a food processor to do this if you wish.

Place dough on a floured surface and knead wll until smooth and elastic, approx 5 - 8 minutes

Roll or shape into a circle, top with your fav pizza sauce and add toppings. Cook in a medium oven until base is done.

Eat and enjoy!!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They're really nice stuffed though you can make them plain if you want. This is a slow cooker recipe but you can casserole it in the oven if you wish.

The stuffing

1 medium onion
    3oz fresh white breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    Pinch of thyme
    1 egg
    Salt and pepper

To start with You could slit the tops of the hearts open, cut off the veins and hollow out the innards to make room for the stuffing and then leave them to soak in cold water for an hour or so while you make the stuffing as follows...

Finely chop the onion and add it to the breadcrumbs and herbs, add a beaten egg, stir and then season to taste.

Now stuff the hearts when the time is up and close the tops using cocktail sticks.

Roll the hearts in plain flour.

Put them in your slow cooker or casserole dish and layer two sliced medium onions and two sliced carrots along with two sliced celery sticks over the top.

Heat up a pint of beef stock (that'd be two stock cubes worth if you have no ready made stock) and pour it in.

Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Casserole covered at gas mark 2 (150C 300F) for about 2-3 hours.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

• Servings: 2
    Level of difficulty: Easy
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Cooking Time: 40 minutes

You will need: Cook’s knife, Cutting boards

Ingredients
    500g pork belly, boneless
    2 tsp
    Salt
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    2 tsp brown sugar
    0.5 tsp coriander leaves
    0.5 tsp cinnamon
    4 cloves
    2 star anise
    2 small
    Onions, cut into wedges
    2 sweet potatoes, chunked
    4 tbsp
    Olive oil
    2 tsp Honey

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Score the pork fat with a sharp knife – this helps keep the pork crisp during cooking.

2. For the spice rub, tip the salt, peppercorns, brown sugar, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves and star anise into a mortar - pound with a pestle until the mixture resembles a fine powder.

3. Reserve 1/2 tsp of the spice mixture, for the vegetables and rub the rest over the pork - working it well into the score lines on the fatty side of the meat. Place the meat in a roasting tin and surround with the onion and sweet potato quarters.

4.. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and honey, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the spice rub. Roast for about 40 minutes, until the pork juices run clear when pierced. Remove from oven and leave the pork to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

I've just made this for tea today and a sneaky try at it says, it's blummin lovely ;)

• (serves 6 - 8)

2lb potatoes, peeled
    2Tbsp flour
    2tsp mustard powder
    2Tbsp finely grated onion
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 small eggs, beaten
    vegetable oil for frying

Soak the potatoes in cold water for 30mins, then drain. Grate into a bowl and drain off any starchy liquid, then add the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and stir well to mix.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mixture in spoonfuls and fry until browned on both sides.
    To Freeze: cool quickly. Open freeze until firm, then pack in a rigid container, seperating each layer with foil.
    Seal, label and return to the freezer.
    To Thaw and Serve: remove wrappings and place on a baking sheet. Reheat from frozen in a preheated moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for approx 30 mins or until heated through.

• Ingredients

1 block vanilla ice cream (Sliceable block is easier to manage)

Rice paper

1 beaten egg

desiccated coconut

Method

slice ice cream into pieces approx 2cm wide

Quickly wrap in rice paper, like you are wrapping a present

Seal edges with beaten egg

Return to deep freeze for a minimum of 24 hours or have prepared in advance for when you need them

When ready to make, heat a deep fryer on hottest setting

Dip ice cream parcels in beaten egg and roll in coconut

Drop into fryer for a few seconds until coconut is golden

serve immediately.

Each sheet of rice paper will wrap 2 slices of ice cream if you are using A4 size sheets. These are readily available from an Asian grocer/food store.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    A Dublin Coddle Recipe

no exact quantities, it always seems to work no matter what the proportions are
    you don't need much ham & sausage to flavour a lot of potatoes, but make sure you put in plenty of onions, the original recipe specified one large onion to 1lb of potatoes
    maybe a good one for the slow cooker? must try it soon

very good value when Lidl has its premium sausage, those little ham joints & their veg marked down :)

Ingredients

good pork sausages, cut into 1-inch pieces
    a piece of smoked ham
    water
    large yellow onions, peeled and diced
    potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced or in large cubes
    at least 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or more if you like it
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions

you can just chuck everything in the pot, but the browning gives a better flavour

slowly brown sausages in a large pot (use a little oil if needed)
    add onions & lighly sautee till transparent
    add potatoes, ham, & seasoning
    just cover with water (it will look & smell very un-promising at this point)
    bring to boil & simmer gently for about an hour, till the potatoes are breaking down
    remove ham, cut/tear into bite-sized pieces & return to pot
    check seasoning, add parsley
    serve like soup with thickly sliced bread
  • I know that these recipes are simple to do, but as in keeping with the tradition of Old Style I have posted these recipes from another thread, so as they can be accessed easily if someone needs a quick recipe. Hope this is ok squeaky!

Vegetable Soup
    1 onion chopped
    1 carrot chopped
    1 small leek chopped
    smal handful parsley chopped
    1 0z soup mix (lentils, split peas and barley)
    1 veg stock cube
    1 pint of water
    For the veg soup I'm assuming she can do this without instructions from me ;)
    Served with your granary bread.
  • Fish Pie
    1 piece white fish
    2 oz butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 pint milk (or skimmed powdered milk made up)
    2 potatoes

Method:
    Peel and cube potatoes and place in water to boil
    Steam white fish (a la school style, on a plate over the potatoes while you boil them)

White Sauce/ Cheese Sauce
    2 oz marg or butter
    2 oz flour
    500ml milk
    seasoning

Method:
    Make white sauce: Melt butter stir in flour until mix is thick then slowly add milk a bit at a time whisking continuously until all is added in and you have a thick creamy sauce. Let cook for a few minutes to ensure flour roux is cooked thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If making cheese sauce stir in 2 oz grated chees at this stage and allow to melt.

Remove steamed fish from Plate and flake, place in oven dish, add white sauce to cover. Don't use it all if you don't have to. Mash boiled potatoes and use a small knob of butter to cream them. Pile potatoes on fish mix, smooth over to cover fish. Ruffle potatoes with a fork. Place under grill to brown potato topping.

Serve with peas or other veggies you'd like, garnish with a small piece of parsley
  • Ingredients
    1 medium onion

1 head of broccoli, cut into florets, you can use frozen though I feel it goes 'watery'

1 pint of white sauce.
    (See HERE for a simple white sauce recipe)

2 large or 3 small chicken breasts

approx 3 oz breadcrumbs

1 bag of crisps ( use any except vinegary type flavours, I prefer ready salted or cheese and onion)

1 tablespoon veg oil

Method
    Preheat oven to 180 oc

Chop onion and soften in oil

Chop chicken into bite size chunks and brown off

Make white sauce

Boil or steam broccoli

When your chicken, broccoli and sauce are ready, you can now assemble the dish. Place chicken and broccoli in an ovenproof dish and cover in white sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Crush packet of crisps and sprinkle on top of bread crumbs. Place in oven and leave for approx 30 minutes to heat through. This dish can be prepared in advance and kept covered in the fridge or frozen.

For a cheats white sauce which takes moments to make, I use one tin of condensed soup, usually chicken or mushroom variety, and to that stir in on tub of elmlea cream. You can use fresh cream or milk, but I prefer elmlea for cooking with.

I have also been known to make this with mixed veg, corn, mushrooms etc instead of or as well as broccoli. It can be adapted to suit what you have or if using fresh, what's in season. You can also try experimenting with different soups if you are using the cheats sauce mix. It's nice made with tomato;)

Serve with potatoes, rice or pasta as a main dish, you can also make smaller portions and use this as a starter. yummy also eaten cold if you get peckish at 10pm :D
  • 1 tbsp oil
    ½ butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and very finely chopped
    ½ pint vegetable stock
    2cm/¾in fresh ginger, peeled and diced
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the squash for a few minutes, to colour.
    • Pour in the stock, and add the ginger and seasoning.
    • Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until tender, adding extra stock if necessary.
    • Blend until smooth (stick blender or transfer to jug blender) and serve.

I came across while looking for something slightly different to the roast squash and tomato soup that I normally make (ran out of tomatoes!) and is yummy!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure