'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm about a third of the way through The Millionnaire Next Door and about the same amount through the latest Game of Thrones saga.

It's going to take me a while...
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Robi90
    Robi90 Posts: 101
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I feel like this thread was made for me.... damn those whsmiths deals! :rotfl:

I was at a colleague's house yesterday and shamelessly asked to borrow his copy of Big Little Lies. I enjoyed the tv series so hopefully I enjoy the book as well.
    [STRIKE]£799 - FD Personal Loan[/STRIKE] :beer:[STRIKE]£500/ £500 FD Overdraft[/STRIKE] :beer: [STRIKE]£5700/£5700 MBNA credit card[/STRIKE]:beer:
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Been away and managed to read 2 from my shelf - Doris Lessing The fifth child" and a newish Milan Kundera . Came back with 4 new books (but all excusable as study related, lol)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 25 April 2018 at 2:27AM
    Robi90 wrote: »
    I feel like this thread was made for me.... damn those whsmiths deals! :rotfl:

I was at a colleague's house yesterday and shamelessly asked to borrow his copy of Big Little Lies. I enjoyed the tv series so hopefully I enjoy the book as well.

One of my favourite books:j. Picked up on a whim from my mobile library van before the TV series was even heard of. I'm so glad I did. I didn't go on to watch the TV series as I've learned from experience that a dramatization often bears no resemblance to the book it was based on:(.
  • Currently reading Last Voyage of the Valentina by Santa Montefiore. It's the first I've read by her as I never thought her books were my sort of thing. I'm enjoying it a lot, I'm finding it hard to put down. This book was in a boxful that a friend asked me to drop off at the charity shop for her. When I got to the shop there was a notice on the door saying they didn't want any donations of books for the foreseeable future. Ditto the next shop I tried too:eek:. It's a very small town with just 3 charity shops. The 3rd one was closed on the day I went. I brought them home with me with the intention of dropping them off at the charity table in my supermarket on my next visit but found the charity stuff had all been removed since my last visit:(. Who'd have thought it would be so hard to donate well cared-for books?

My friend said I could have any of the books that I fancied so I'm reading my way through the boxful and OH will drop them into a charity shop in my nearest big town where they always want books:j
  • Robi90
    Robi90 Posts: 101
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Finished Big Little Lies which I really enjoyed. Going to read Breakfast at Tiffany's next as it's been on my shelf for a while.
    [STRIKE]£799 - FD Personal Loan[/STRIKE] :beer:[STRIKE]£500/ £500 FD Overdraft[/STRIKE] :beer: [STRIKE]£5700/£5700 MBNA credit card[/STRIKE]:beer:
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    After copious amounts of not reading I polished off Even Dogs in the Wild by Ian Ranking in less than a week.

It's a good Rebus novel. I have the follow-up to, well, follow-up with.

I'm still only halfway through GoT 4. It's never ending!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• mobo1980
    mobo1980 Posts: 368
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello , I am reading The liars chair by Rebecca Whitney , really need to pick up the pace with my reading I used to read a book in a few days now if I read one in under a month it's an achievement !
    I have a friend what gifts me books every time I see her I have a backlog of about 40ish :eek:

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello again!

Gosh, I'm doing well at the moment!

I polished off Rather Be the Devil by Ian Rankin in just over a day and I FINALLY finished the latest Game of Thrones installment called A Fest for Crows by George R R Martin.

The Rankin was very good. The GoT book literally never ended. It got good toward the end but lulled a bit in the middle with lots of explanations of battles etc. It could be the fact that I've read a lot of them in a short period of time, too. I'm debating whether I should even bother trying to read the sequel to this or have a break and move on to something entirely different, but the ending was good so it is tempting me.

There were genuinely points I thought it would never end, though...
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• Caspeia
    Caspeia Posts: 166 Forumite
    I need to join this challenge!
    I have a lot of unread books... so many that instead of reading some/getting rid of some when there was too much to keep in my cupboard, I got a custom built unit in my livingroom instead :o
    Even that is too full now and I had to buy a new TV stand that has cupboard space underneath. Ive spent hundreds of pounds just to store my books :o
    I would like to clear these so I could actually use them for storing the kids toys
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback