PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning pans

13»

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Autosol metal cleaner is brilliant stuff too and you only need a little to get off old marks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My pan bought as a wedding present in 1962 are looking as good as when I got them They are stailess steel with a copper bottom I have three pans but only one lid left I daresay they will see me out now :):):)
    JackieO xx
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I hate washing up, so I bought non stick pans which are black on the outside. Doesn't matter about the crud on the bottom, I can't see it. ;) As long as the inside is clean where I put my food, that's all that matters to me. :D Can't be doing with spending hours at the kitchen sink scrubbing away. :(

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pigpen wrote: »
    thats what mine are though brushed steel with gas hob so you can't see your face in them but they are fine to clean with a brillo pad if need dictates. Though, I am covetting some copper pans.. they just look beautiful... I'd possibly just hang them on the wall and never use them!

I always use a bigger pan than I could get away with too.. so there are very few dribbles on the outside to burn on... just as a thought.. maybe size up a pan and the outsides are less grotty after cooking.

My nanna used to help me by washing my pots and she would wash them in near cold water and draw a circle in the dirt on the plate then put it on the drainer so it all needed washing again.. and my mil only washes the tops of plates and prongs of forks and not always well either.. I check them carefully before use..

with the cutlery I kind of do understand it

Back in the day, a lot of knives and forks had bone or wood handles and the blades and the tines were just glued in so you didn't dare get them too wet or else they fell apart.

Mum still has her mums bone handle knives and whilst they are the best for buttering bread, Ive had to remove them from the everyday cutlery as she was forever using them and then just leaving them on the side of the sink instead of washing them ( done my head in coming in from work and seeing up to 3 knives sat on the work top attracting flies )

All of that stuff went out of fashion with the advent of the dishwasher. I was @ an auction the other week and the most beautiful canteen of cutlery was up for sale, Beautiful mahogany casket with brass handles and hinges. It had a plaque on it celebrating the marriage of blah blah in 1923. It was stunning and complete . And all bone handles :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure