Travelling On

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ooh KC, that makes you a millionaire! How exciting! :T

Round yellow thing has disappeared here again today :( hope it's still with you. Your gardening sounds very productive - little and often is a very satisfying approach, I find. Must do some myself today, as forecast tomorrow is rain again.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Oh, well done for doing it :T. Really interesting isn't it? Hopefully it will give you the confidence to loosen the purse-strings a little :).
    It really is about confidence, isn't it ... it certainly means being able to have a holiday every year :) Thanks Gally.
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Wow, 1 million! Guess that's pretty solvent?
    It's not a million *now*, earthgirl, I assure you - and since ex-council houses like mine, small 3 bedders that are 15 minutes walk from a train station, are going for £300k, the vast majority of my money is still tied up in the property I actually live in, which is why a potential downsize has been such an issue. The million bit is a projection, best case from various times in history, and who knows what might happen? Other projections from other time periods see me ending up with half what I have now. It's not real, its just a projection. But even half what I have now is a lot better than I thought would happen, I thought I'd be in a studio flat in a cheap part of Liverpool, to be honest with you.
    themadvix wrote: »
    Ooh KC, that makes you a millionaire! How exciting! :T
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: It might do! And its very exciting to think that with my mum's money, I've got enough to go on holiday at least annually, for instance. Thanks madvix.

I can't emphasize enough that this depends on day-to-day living expenses being at state pension levels.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    I saw the round yellow thing in the sky too. Hooray, does anyone think it will hang around formlong?
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope so :)
    I hope so too :beer: it's kind of around right now :)
    1 million is indeed pretty solvent :j :j
    pinkypig wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying the sun and your spreadsheet Karma:). Happy Thursday to you xx
    Thanks both! Happy Thursday, and Happy Friday :):):)

My laptop gave me a scare this morning - I'd set a reminder on my phone to back it up, with all this scanning I've been doing, and when I switched it on, all my files and folders had disappeared :eek: and so had the bookmarks on my browser ... horror doesn't begin to describe it (:D this has a happy ending, btw). Turns out my "User1" persona has just disappeared off the computer. No idea how. Eventually I went to the "Karmacat" persona and found all my documents :beer: so I got my external hard drive and backed everything up right away .... ran a security scan, and it tells me everything's fine, so I've no idea what happened. Just goes to show something ... never trust electronics, I guess! But wow. It was heartstopping for a moment there!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 6 April 2018 at 11:41AM
    We'll all be name-dropping like mad, KC, knowing someone who's a millionaire and a published author:j. And a published photographer too I seem to recall;). I hope everything turns out well for you, KC and you get to enjoy lots of wonderful memory-making holidays in the years to come:beer:.

The house-price postcode lottery never ceases to amaze and annoy me:eek:. In our neck of the woods our detached 4 bedroom house with 3 reception rooms, 24 foot long kitchen (which isn't a combined diner-type), almost half an acre of land and garaging for up to 4 cars would be hard pressed to achieve what your house would get. Admittedly it needs a bit of updating with electrical wiring, some work on subsidence cracks (which a surveyor has said are not crucial to the property's stability:j) and a new kitchen but otherwise it's a good, sound property with lots of potential which would be a good buy. I've made it sound a bit of a dump with all its defects:o but even equally big newer houses in tip-top condition rarely hit £300K round here. It doesn't help that we are over 3 miles from a main road and have absolutely no public transport except a very sporadic service on that road. The nearest train station is about 16 miles away:(
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    I hope so too :beer: it's kind of around right now :)

Thanks both! Happy Thursday, and Happy Friday :):):)

My laptop gave me a scare this morning - I'd set a reminder on my phone to back it up, with all this scanning I've been doing, and when I switched it on, all my files and folders had disappeared :eek: and so had the bookmarks on my browser ... horror doesn't begin to describe it (:D this has a happy ending, btw). Turns out my "User1" persona has just disappeared off the computer. No idea how. Eventually I went to the "Karmacat" persona and found all my documents :beer: so I got my external hard drive and backed everything up right away .... ran a security scan, and it tells me everything's fine, so I've no idea what happened. Just goes to show something ... never trust electronics, I guess! But wow. It was heartstopping for a moment there!

I'm so glad that your technology problem had a happy ending:T:j. I know only too well the scary, panicky feeling when something goes wrong with devices that we depend upon so much.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Goldie, I've just had a look through my subscriptions, and you're right, it seems to have disappeared :( it must be one of the ones that the mse bot deleted :(

I think its awful that Squirell's diary has just *gone*. I think it dated back to about 2010, and all that history just disappeared into the ether.

Unbelievably, my diary is 4 years old tomorrow.

I'm not so bothered about most of it, but the period April - December 2014 turned out to be a momentous period in my life as I was diagnosed with Meniere's and made the big decision about my retirement. I wouldn't like to lose all that, so I'm thinking of copying my posts into a word document for that period
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    We'll all be name-dropping like mad, KC, knowing someone who's a millionaire and a published author:j. And a published photographer too I seem to recall;). I hope everything turns out well for you, KC and you get to enjoy lots of wonderful memory-making holidays in the years to come:beer:.
    Thank you honey, thats very kind :kisses3: do remember, though, its one book, and one set of photographs :rotfl: even if I'm dying to write more. I definitely feel that I'm getting things more under control in the house, and even in the garden, so it won't be long now.

The house-price postcode lottery never ceases to amaze and annoy me:eek:. In our neck of the woods our detached 4 bedroom house with 3 reception rooms, 24 foot long kitchen (which isn't a combined diner-type), almost half an acre of land and garaging for up to 4 cars would be hard pressed to achieve what your house would get. Admittedly it needs a bit of updating with electrical wiring, some work on subsidence cracks (which a surveyor has said are not crucial to the property's stability:j) and a new kitchen but otherwise it's a good, sound property with lots of potential which would be a good buy. I've made it sound a bit of a dump with all its defects:o but even equally big newer houses in tip-top condition rarely hit £300K round here. It doesn't help that we are over 3 miles from a main road and have absolutely no public transport except a very sporadic service on that road. The nearest train station is about 16 miles away:(
    Good grief! Isn't it weird ... I've linked before to a house at the end of the road where I lived before I bought this one - nice (nicer than this) but it was £450,000. My house wasn't, I hasten to add - mine was a fixer upper that sold for a **lot** less. I've just had a look again at Rightmove, considering what I could move to, round here, if I **had** to move for financial reasons - there's a perfectly pleasant "over 60s only" 1 bed first floor flat, for half the price of this house. And in Liverpool, there are plenty at that price, in fairly decent areas too.

I'm pretty sure now I've been catastrophising :o sorry all! But it just goes to show how valuable that spreadsheet has been. Once again, I'm mightily impressed.
    I'm so glad that your technology problem had a happy ending:T:j. I know only too well the scary, panicky feeling when something goes wrong with devices that we depend upon so much.
    You've got it in one! Horrendous, though I still don't know where the "User1" account has gone. V odd.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I think its awful that Squirell's diary has just *gone*. I think it dated back to about 2010, and all that history just disappeared into the ether.

Unbelievably, my diary is 4 years old tomorrow.
    It's horrible, isn't it, Goldie. I was linked up to her blog at some stage, do you have the url?
    I'm not so bothered about most of it, but the period April - December 2014 turned out to be a momentous period in my life as I was diagnosed with Meniere's and made the big decision about my retirement. I wouldn't like to lose all that, so I'm thinking of copying my posts into a word document for that period
    I can see why, absolutely. I do like knowing that my diaries are *there* - and if the bot deleted them, I'd be rattled, I'm sure. Hope you can do it without too many problems.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad you're solvent KC :j :j Good job we all have a lot of practice with MSE style spending I say :D

Hope you manage to get out in the garden for a bit today if that's on your plan :j Sun shone here for a few minutes this afternoon :j :j Most exciting :D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    T
    It's horrible, isn't it, Goldie. I was linked up to her blog at some stage, do you have the url?

I've got the blog address still, if you'd like it PM'd, Kc. No new posts though. And Squirrel's not been active on here for almost 2 months :( x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    But even half what I have now is a lot better than I thought would happen, I thought I'd be in a studio flat in a cheap part of Liverpool, to be honest with you.

But wouldn't that make it the posh end at that juncture? ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure