New BBQ - Calor Propane

Hi. Am new to the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

The nice weather over the bank holiday has encouraged us to replace our old BBQ for a new gas one. I have 2 virtually full Calor bottles of propane from a while back, the red ones, but the regulator on the new BBQ is only suitable for the patio gas bottles.

Rather than spending money on new Patio Gas bottles, can I just swap the regulator on the BBQ with a 37mbar one for propane? Also, would anyone be able to recommend a product that allows the propane bottle to be easily attached and detached from the BBQ without needing a spanner every time.

Would rather not have to shell out for another bottle of gas when I have two in the garage. Any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as I am aware, Patio Gas is actually propane so swapping regulators shouldn't be a problem.

If you Google quick release LPG fittings, you should get a few options.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As above, the regulator may have a adjustment for different pressures. There are some that are quick release versions.
    I only use propane here due to low winter temps.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • Thanks for the replies. I have read here on MSE and elsewhere that patio gas is just a marketing gimmick, selling you less for more. In fact, the user manual does say that although designed for patio gas bottles, it will run on propane or butane, with the correct regulator of course.

I do have a propane regulator that’s set at 37Mbar, which has to be attached and detached with a spanner every time, not ideal for a BBQ. But after a quick look on google I can see you can buy a connector which is easy to disconnect. I’d just need to buy another length of pipe to go from the reg (which stays on bottle) and then links to the pipe that’s already attached to the BBQ, if I understand correctly. :)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Amuza wrote: »
    Rather than spending money on new Patio Gas bottles, can I just swap the regulator on the BBQ with a 37mbar one for propane?

I did this yesterday - our BBQ has a propane regulator (quick fit) connected to a "patio gas" bottle, which was nearly empty.
    With folks coming for a BBQ, and not really wanting a divorce, :D I went to town to get another bottle.
    Sadly nothing was available so went to see DD2 who gave me a bottle of butane - I simply swapped the regulator and a good BBQ was had by all.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You 'simply' take the Patio gas regulator off the pipe on BBQ and replace with the propane one you have.
    Existing hoses may well be crimped on to regulators and they will need removing. Most diy will fit worm-drive jubilee clips to hold hose onto the regulator.
    Use a little soapy water to check for gas leaks (and to aid fitting the hose).

You can get 'quick release gas connectors' that will, with a little extra gas hose, help with quick fitting and removal. The 'female' has an auto stop valve so should be fitted to the hose from the regulator and the male on the BBQ hose. The normal BBQ gas hose size is 8mm if you find them in different sizes.

The alternative is to buy and fit a new 'hand wheel propane regulator' that doesn't need a tool. (It has a rubber tip that the handwheel compresses to make a seal.)

If you are at all unsure of doing the above safely then don't. Pay a LPG qualified gas safe technician to do it properly!
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Propane stops boiling (producing gas) at -42 deg c whilst Butane stops boiling at -1 deg c. Patio gas is usually Butane ( blue bottle) where as Propane is red. Most barbecues are used in the UK when the temperature is way above -1deg c so Butane is the norm for BBQ's. Propane can be used as long as you change the regulator, I've never come across a quick release propane regulator.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    nickcc wrote: »
    Propane stops boiling (producing gas) at -42 deg c whilst Butane stops boiling at -1 deg c.
    Correct but Butane is actually u/s below about 8C as the bottle gets colder than the ambient temperature when the gas is used.
    (As any caravan owner will tell you).
    Patio gas is usually Butane ( blue bottle) where as Propane is red.
    No. UK Calor Patio Gas is in green bottles and it is is propane. https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/all/gas-bottles/patio-gas-bottles.html
    I've never come across a quick release propane regulator.
    Sheltered life? https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/essentials-patio-gas-clip-on-regulator.html is the common one.
    Here's an example of the handwheel style I suggested (not the cheapest source, but a BBQ place) https://thebbqshop.co.uk/propane-regulator-with-handwheel-bbq-spares
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    Correct but Butane is actually u/s below about 8C as the bottle gets colder than the ambient temperature when the gas is used.
    (As any caravan owner will tell you).

Just checked the weather forecast and can see the temperature is planned to fall below 8C after about 11pm tonight, and again on Friday & Saturday from about the same time.

Will be sure to get in a couple of midnight BBQs whilst this cold weather is still here - wouldn't want to miss out on the advantages propane affords us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure