Late pickup for car hire?

I recently arranged a hire car for a trip to Tenerife. Unfortunately I booked the pickup for 7am instead of 7pm so we turned up 12 hours late to be told that as we were late, the car is no longer available and the hire was cancelled with no refund. Is this normal?
I'm thinking that as we've paid for a car for the week, it should be available to pick up at any time in the hire period and it's unacceptable for them to hire the car I've paid for to someone else. Where do I stand in this?

Thanks
Mike.

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I recently arranged a hire car for a trip to Tenerife. Unfortunately I booked the pickup for 7am instead of 7pm so we turned up 12 hours late to be told that as we were late, the car is no longer available and the hire was cancelled with no refund. Is this normal?
    I'm thinking that as we've paid for a car for the week, it should be available to pick up at any time in the hire period and it's unacceptable for them to hire the car I've paid for to someone else. Where do I stand in this?

Thanks
    Mike.

have you read the t and c

from Alamo usa

Airport Rental Locations in the US and Canada:
    Vehicles will be held for 24 hours from the scheduled time of pick-up, for any delayed flights.

IF you arrive after that a car isnt gteed and any rental would be at the rack rate, which is likely to be much more than a prebooked rate
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wouldn't expect them to hold a car for 12 hours unless you had contacted them to say you'd be late.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure