Help to Buy ISA guide

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    masonic wrote: »
    The value of the property is what matters, but next year you could use a LISA instead, which has a £450k limit rather than £250k.

You must have held the LISA for a full year before you can use it. Meaning the earliest you can use it towards a property purchase will be April 2018.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    colsten wrote: »
    You must have held the LISA for a full year before you can use it. Meaning the earliest you can use it towards a property purchase will be April 2018.
    Ah, ok I missed that bit!
  • jackevans
    jackevans Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 April 2016 at 9:28PM
    I have a quick question regarding letting out a property I've bought whilst using the Help to Buy ISA.

For example, I use the Help to Buy ISA and save £12000 and then get the state bonus of £3000 on top, leaving me with £15000. I then buy a flat and live in it for say two years and decide I want to let the property out whilst I work abroad, am I allowed to do this under the rules of the Help to Buy ISA as technically it's a regular mortgage and not a buy to let mortgage? (I'll inform the mortgage company also that I'm doing this). If I won't be able to let it out using the Help to Buy ISA, what savings account would you recommend?

Also can you only use the Help to Buy ISA as a form of deposit for the property? Or can you add say savings not in an ISA to the deposit of a property aswell? (Sorry only recently became an adult, all a bit new to me)

Thanks in Advance
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If your mortgage company agrees, you can let it out.
  • Question for any expert to answer:

If one has already got a buy-to-let mortgage on a property but want to save for their own home, can he/she qualify for this type of ISA?
    Thanks for your input.
  • Hi,

Might be an answered query already, but I'll still ask:
    I currently live on rent and I would wish to buy a house in the future. If I invest in a Help To Buy ISA, earning say 4% (Halifax or Santander), but a year down the line, my priorities change and I won't be able to buy a house anytime soon; in this case, can I close my HTB ISA? and will I earn the 4% interest on the amount I've invested? (I know I won't get the 25% bonus). #help

Carl.
  • carlwhite wrote: »
    Hi,

Might be an answered query already, but I'll still ask:
    I currently live on rent and I would wish to buy a house in the future. If I invest in a Help To Buy ISA, earning say 4% (Halifax or Santander), but a year down the line, my priorities change and I won't be able to buy a house anytime soon; in this case, can I close my HTB ISA? and will I earn the 4% interest on the amount I've invested? (I know I won't get the 25% bonus). #help

Carl.

Yes you can do this - you'll get the interest but not the bonus.
  • PrityShah wrote: »
    Question for any expert to answer:

If one has already got a buy-to-let mortgage on a property but want to save for their own home, can he/she qualify for this type of ISA?
    Thanks for your input.

No, as they don't meet the criteria of "must be a first time buyer, and not own a property anywhere in the world".

The declarations which the buyer needs to complete state "I do not own, and never have owned, any interest in land, whether in the United
    Kingdom or elsewhere"
  • Ed-1 wrote: »
    You can put in a maximum of £1200 in the first month then £200 per month thereafter. You don't need to. You then get a 25% bonus on the closing balance when you buy a house (up to a maximum of a £3000 bonus).
    Can i put in more than the £200 per month? Or a large lumpsum when i want to buy to bump up the % i will receive?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can i put in more than the £200 per month? Or a large lumpsum when i want to buy to bump up the % i will receive?

You can put in a maximum of £1200 in the first month then £200 per month thereafter. You don't need to. You then get a 25% bonus on the closing balance when you buy a house (up to a maximum of a £3000 bonus).

Can I be any clearer?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure