Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    To qualify for the Marriage Allowance Transfer, you must have been in a married/civil partnered state for at least one day during the tax year concerned.

If that was the question buried in that post :)
    Yes it was - thankyou as I thought really, just wanted to check...
    Sorry know I babble a tad x

One thing I missed out. You must also be married/civil partnered to that same persion when the donor-to-be makes the election to transfer.
  • zeze.zezo
    Options
    this post is useful. thanks alot
  • scubajon72
    Options
    I am 74 and retired, my wife is 64 and disabled. My questions are: 1) Are benefits included as income in the claim? 2)My income is £14k+I receive AA at the low rate which brings my income to £17k+ . My wife is on the higher rate of PIP for both mobility and care but does not receive Government Pension yet. I have paid tax in the past on my pension but had a rebate last year(for reasons unknown!)Can anyone tell me if my wife can applyfor the MTA? cheers j
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scubajon72 wrote: »
    I am 74 and retired, my wife is 64 and disabled. My questions are: 1) Are benefits included as income in the claim? 2)My income is £14k+I receive AA at the low rate which brings my income to £17k+ . My wife is on the higher rate of PIP for both mobility and care but does not receive Government Pension yet. I have paid tax in the past on my pension but had a rebate last year(for reasons unknown!)Can anyone tell me if my wife can applyfor the MTA? cheers j
    As general rule of thumb, if you pay basic-rate tax and your spouse does not pay tax in any tax year then your spouse can apply for MA for that year.

If in doubt, apply anyway.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • elizhar
    Options
    I applied for the Marriage Tax Allowance as I thought I paid little, tax less than hubby, it says you will be informed if not eligible, fine, then we got a message saying ok and received £212 into hubby's account - good. Until I checked my tax return on Self Assessment site, as I gave up part-time job in November 2016 - I'm a Pensioner and was working part-time. Now find that the £212 is now being added to my next tax code, so the money went into my hubby's bank and now I will be paying that in extra tax on my next self assessment. I've checked with the Tax Rev. people and they say that is correct but no-one said that may happen. Thinking we were better off - now not - but maybe better next year as I've given up work altogether as it doesn't pay !!!:(
  • Consumerist
    edited 26 January 2017 at 4:41PM
    Options
    elizhar wrote: »
    I applied for the Marriage Tax Allowance as I thought I paid little, tax less than hubby, it says you will be informed if not eligible, fine, then we got a message saying ok and received £212 into hubby's account - good. Until I checked my tax return on Self Assessment site, as I gave up part-time job in November 2016 - I'm a Pensioner and was working part-time. Now find that the £212 is now being added to my next tax code, so the money went into my hubby's bank and now I will be paying that in extra tax on my next self assessment. I've checked with the Tax Rev. people and they say that is correct but no-one said that may happen. Thinking we were better off - now not - but maybe better next year as I've given up work altogether as it doesn't pay !!!:(
    You only get a benefit from the MA if one of you does not pay any tax in the year for which you are claiming. To get the maximum benefit (£212 for 2015/16) your income needed to be less than £10,600 - £1,060 = £9,540.

To get the maximum benefit (£220) for 2016/17, your income for the tax year will need to be below £11,000 - £1,100 = £9,900.
  • Telboy62
    Options
    Hi. I don't think this one has been covered, apologies if it has. I have just done my 2015/16 tax return online today ( left it late again). I transferred the allowed amount to my wife so i assume/hope they will send a cheque for that year. I'm unsure about 2016/17 though. Will they automatically send a cheque for the months from April 2016 to the present or do i have to apply for this tax year separately?
    Telboy.
  • Consumerist
    edited 26 January 2017 at 7:09PM
    Options
    Telboy62 wrote: »
    Hi. I don't think this one has been covered, apologies if it has. I have just done my 2015/16 tax return online today ( left it late again). I transferred the allowed amount to my wife so i assume/hope they will send a cheque for that year. I'm unsure about 2016/17 though. Will they automatically send a cheque for the months from April 2016 to the present or do i have to apply for this tax year separately?
    Telboy.
    For this and subsequent years they will adjust your tax codes to pay the allowance over each tax year. You may get a tax rebate when the new allowance is first applied this year (or else a lower tax deduction depending on your income).
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Just to clarify - if you have transferred the allowance to your wife, it will be your wife who receives the rebate or pays reduced tax.
  • Scunnybunny
    Options
    I applied for the allowance and my husband's tax code has increased and has the letter M at the end of it now but I never got a cheque for the backdated allowance I assumed it was included in my husband's tax code should I phone or email them ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback