Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, can someone point me in the right direction for making claims against Etihad. As it is a non-EU airline and my flight was from a non EU airport to a non-EU destinations; what are my rights and which authority can I approach for a complaint if Etihad in uncooperative? Many thanks for any hints or tips.

Your flight would have needed to have been departing from an EU airport for the EU compensation to apply.
    Nothing can be claimed for a non-EU departure on an non-EU airline apart from possibly from your travel insurance
  • pleb50
    pleb50 Posts: 1 Newbie
    i need some advice ,just came back of my holiday,day before due back checked my e mails had one from ba saying flight cancelled sorry for inconvenience!managed to get things sorted after a panic,i am now trying to claim expenses i incurred,can i clain any compensation for inconvenience of flying as we had to fly from one airport to another to then get a flight home to heathrow,and we were meant to be at Gatwick,also lost a days wages no one seems to want to help on that ,its not my fault we couldnt go to work,just need some advice on how i stand:(
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pleb50 wrote: »
    i need some advice ,just came back of my holiday,day before due back checked my e mails had one from ba saying flight cancelled sorry for inconvenience!managed to get things sorted after a panic,i am now trying to claim expenses i incurred,can i clain any compensation for inconvenience of flying as we had to fly from one airport to another to then get a flight home to heathrow,and we were meant to be at Gatwick,also lost a days wages no one seems to want to help on that ,its not my fault we couldnt go to work,just need some advice on how i stand:(

Depends why the flight was cancelled - but if it wasn't for "extraordinary circumstances" you are likely due a fixed aount of compensation - from 250 up to 600 euros per person, depending on how far you flight was. Go onto their website - I think you can make a claim electronically. FAQs on page one of the thread have the detailed background, but BA seem to be one of the few airlines paying up without being silly - so give it a try.
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I made a claim on Qantas for a delayed flight. They confirmed that my wife and I were entitled to compensation of 600 euros each, a total of 1200 euros. They said that they would have to pay me in Australian dollars (AUD), not Euros, and pay me via my credit card, which was fine because I get an excellent exchange rate AUD to GBP on my Halifax Clarity credit card. So far so good.

I received AUD$1597 on 1st July 2013 which was 6.47% less than the AUD$1707.47 I was expecting based on the exchange rate on xe.com of 1.42289 AUD to the euro on that day of receipt.

On querying this anomaly Qantas first of all said they used the exchange rate showing on their computer on 1st July 2013. Then they changed their minds and said they used the exchange rate as of the date of the flight 11th February 2012.

My question is, what date is the EU compensation based on? Is it the date of the flight or the date that compensation was made?

If there is no set date in the compensation rules, can the airline decide for themselves which date to use regarding currency conversion?
  • Hi
    I need some advice from the forum regulars. Can a combination of finnair v Lassooy and folkers v Air France ruling be used on this scenario :

Non eu airline flies from uk to non eu destination final destination. There is a connecting flight at a non eu airport where the flight from uk arrived 30mins late but there is overbooking on this connecting flight so denied boarding has happened , next connecting flight is over four hours late so arrival at final destination is 4 hours late.

All flights are with same non eu airline.

Many Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    tilla_tech wrote: »
    Hi
    I need some advice from the forum regulars. Can a combination of finnair v Lassooy and folkers v Air France ruling be used on this scenario :

Non eu airline flies from uk to non eu destination final destination. There is a connecting flight at a non eu airport where the flight from uk arrived 30mins late but there is overbooking on this connecting flight so denied boarding has happened , next connecting flight is over four hours late so arrival at final destination is 4 hours late.

All flights are with same non eu airline.

Many Thanks

If it was a ticket booked through to the final destination, I think you have a strong case.
  • mazcaz
    mazcaz Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi all

I was on a flight from LHR to ATQ back in 2010. I was on a Air India flight.

It was a return ticket booked through a travel agent.

The flight to ATQ was okay, only delayed by a hour or so. Three weeks later on the return flight i had a delay at ATQ for over 19 hour on route to LHR.

So leaving the EU was okay, but returning was a big delay. With Air India not being a EU airline, and the delay not happening from the EU,

Can i still make a claim.

Thanks
  • CobyBenson
    CobyBenson Posts: 188 Forumite
    mazcaz wrote: »
    Hi all

I was on a flight from LHR to ATQ back in 2010. I was on a Air India flight.

It was a return ticket booked through a travel agent.

The flight to ATQ was okay, only delayed by a hour or so. Three weeks later on the return flight i had a delay at ATQ for over 19 hour on route to LHR.

So leaving the EU was okay, but returning was a big delay. With Air India not being a EU airline, and the delay not happening from the EU,

Can i still make a claim.

Thanks

Nope, sorry.
  • Hi

We flew home from Bangkok last year with BA and were told that the flight was over sold. They were looking for volunteers and we agreed.

They put us up in a hotel, compensated us £250 each and putuus on the same flight 24 hours later.

Are we entitled to claim extra compensation as the amount they offered uswwas below the guideline amount.

Thanks
  • No, not if you volunteered to give up your seat.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback