Share investment - need to reduce annual broker fees

I have some shares in the company I used to work for. I used to trade now and again and was originally with TD Waterhouse as a broker, they are now ii (interactive investor). The share price has taken a bit of a tumble recently. Not great, but not an emergency, I am happy to sit tight with them and take the dividend. TD used to operate on a nil fee basis if you had a certain portfolio balance. That was scrapped some time back and now ii want to charge £9.99 a month. If you trade fairly regularly they offset this against trading fees, but I doubt I will be trading for some time (I am planning for them to, hopefully, recover, and sell all of them then). I don't want to be paying the broker a £9.99 a month fee. I'm a bit out of touch with how you can hold shares these days. Can I disassociate myself with the broker and just have a 'share certificate' if they still exist, and then when I'm ready to sell, I can sign up to a broker for a one off trade? Not sure how dividend will work though as currently it channels into my account through the broker.

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Maz1963 wrote: »
    I have some shares in the company I used to work for. I used to trade now and again and was originally with TD Waterhouse as a broker, they are now ii (interactive investor). The share price has taken a bit of a tumble recently. Not great, but not an emergency, I am happy to sit tight with them and take the dividend. TD used to operate on a nil fee basis if you had a certain portfolio balance. That was scrapped some time back and now ii want to charge £9.99 a month. If you trade fairly regularly they offset this against trading fees, but I doubt I will be trading for some time (I am planning for them to, hopefully, recover, and sell all of them then). I don't want to be paying the broker a £9.99 a month fee. I'm a bit out of touch with how you can hold shares these days. Can I disassociate myself with the broker and just have a 'share certificate' if they still exist, and then when I'm ready to sell, I can sign up to a broker for a one off trade? Not sure how dividend will work though as currently it channels into my account through the broker.

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Assuming these are not held in an ISA these could be transferred to Hargreaves Lansdown who do not charge any fees for shares held in a fund and share account.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 25 April 2019 at 6:44PM
    For a fee they will be happy to send you a share certificate and then you will be the direct owner of the shares registered on the company share register, rather than the broker owning the shares through their nominee company and giving you an online electronic statement of your holdings. If you held the shares directly you would get cheques in the post for your dividend.

That would cost you £35+ vat on the current ii fee scales.

Alternatively you could transfer the holdings electronically to another broker, though it can take several weeks to process - during which time you won't be able to trade the shares. Then you could ask the new broker to give you a share certificate instead, and the new broker might have keener pricing. For example x-o co.uk used to be £15.

Either way, when you do come to sell the shares, if they're in paper form there will usually be a hefty premium for you to trade using paper shares and a telephone order rather than being able to click a button online to dispose of an electronic holding. Plus, if you've closed down your relationships with brokers, you would need to go through their onboarding / new customer requirements before being able to trade.

So, if the holding is large (say £10k+), then the daily negative price fluctuations while waiting to sign up with a broker and execute the trade of your paper shares, could easily be several hundred pounds (given a trivial 1% daily movement is worth £100).

For those sort of reasons I wouldn't bother moving to paper, but keeping an electronic account open with a broker which has a lower fee structure to hold the shares - and ideally, low account closure fees - could be worth looking at. Such as the aforementioned x-o co.uk, or IWeb / Halifax Sharedealing. Youinvest.co.uk will let you open an account for free and their custody fee is only 0.25% per year, capped at £30. HL mentioned by the above poster is free to hold but they charge £30 to close down your account so if you were going to sell up and withdraw all the proceeds within the next year they may not be best option.
    (I am planning for them to, hopefully, recover, and sell all of them then)
    Good to be confident :). I know it's not the thrust of your question but you did say "any advice"; the obvious point to make is that the company itself does not know your preferred exit point, and many fortunes have been lost by investors putting their head in the sand and saying "I won't sell until I get my money back, or at least the most recent high point that I remember the company reaching before..."
  • Maz1963
    Maz1963 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you, some useful advice. After scouting around on line, I've opened an account with Halifax Share Dealing, no opening or annual fee. I just complete and sign a form, send it to them, and they will transfer my holding across. I should have done this ages ago, but at least I've done it now!

bowlhead99 - I have a lot of faith in the organisation so I'm sure if I wait long enough … ! I'm a few k down, so happy to wait for the 'high point' as you call it to come round again! It will, I'm sure of it ….
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Assuming these are not held in an ISA these could be transferred to Hargreaves Lansdown who do not charge any fees for shares held in a fund and share account.

I'm in the middle of doing exactly that, have two long-term hold shares with iI in a share account , moving to HL with zero fee.
  • After a lot of research I to have just opened a halifax share dealing account & am really impressed how easy & user friendly it is. £12.50 per transaction & no on going fees so great for those wanting to hold shares for long term without regular deals. Best of luck !!
  • Maz1963
    After a lot of research I to have just opened a halifax share dealing account & am really impressed how easy & user friendly it is. £12.50 per transaction & no on going fees so great for those wanting to hold shares for long term without regular deals. Best of luck !!

That's good to know. I have had many dealings with Halifax, recently sorting finances after the death of a parent, and they were excellent, so am always happy to use them!
  • ANDY597
    ANDY597 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    If your looking for a bare bones no frills service X O co.uk might fit the bill, free to open, no annual fees from what I remember and a flat rate of 5.95 per trade.

Its a basic service though and not even close to the Hargreaves Lansdowns platform.

Cheap and functional though.
  • Maz1963
    Well, I'm still waiting for the transfer of my holding from ii to Halifax! I kept getting texts from Halifax telling me they were chasing ii for a valuation, but getting no reply from them. Eventually they texted asking if I could chase as well. Called ii - no record of any comms from Halifax. Called Halifax - gave details of person spoken to at ii, asked them to phone said person and sort it out. Eventually, a text from Halifax saying they have received the valuation but it could take up to 8 weeks to action the transfer! Why on earth it takes so long, I have no idea. In the meantime, I'm still paying monthly fees to ii!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    After a lot of research I to have just opened a halifax share dealing account & am really impressed how easy & user friendly it is. £12.50 per transaction & no on going fees so great for those wanting to hold shares for long term without regular deals. Best of luck !!
    You can buy shares and funds at £2 a go on the regular investing days of which there are usually 3 per month. Also once a month you can buy/sell shares in a 2hr live trade spot for £3.95.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure