Advice regarding old debt.

A few years back we found out we had 2 charging orders on our property. I wont go into all the details because it would take hours. Lets say they came as a shock to me when I found out.

It still makes me so p**ssed off that an unsecured loan, bank charge and a credit card bill can be changed into a charging order? I mean isn't that the difference between a secured loan and a un-secured loan? In that if you don't pay a secured loan they can claim via your property? I will end up ranting.

I just need to know if there is anyone I can speak too regarding one of the charging orders. The main one was with First Direct. It was a combination of an unsecured loan, bank charges, and a credit card bill. The problem for me is that it was around 13 years ago that I originally lost my job and could not pay my bills. A CCJ was issued and I entered into a Debt Management Payment. I lost my job again and I buried my head. The First Direct account was closed prior to all this happening.

I only found out last year about the charging order when we tried to re-mortgage. I requested a Request for Information pack from First Direct which was sent to the wrong address and opened. This is being dealt with separately. I found among my paperwork that I had payment protection insurance which I tried to claim for when I lost my job but because I was dismissed was unable to claim.

Fast forward to late last year I claimed for being miss-sold PPI which was a success.The question I am asking is as follows. I successfully claimed PPI . When I originally tried to claim PPI at the time many moons ago they told me I could not claim and this is what got me into debt to begin with. If I would have been able to claim PPI I would not be in this position!

My problem is because its so long ago I cannot get help from the financial ombudsman and just wanted to check if there is anyone i can talk too or anything I can do? Especially regarding the bank charges! Any help would be appreciated

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport