New router and connection keeps dropping on laptop only

13»

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have seen problems when there are two SSIDs with different names but where both are set to connect automatically. Windows can, in its wisdom, decide to switch between networks which can cause drop outs. To fix make sure that only one network is set to autoconnect.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I have seen problems when there are two SSIDs with different names but where both are set to connect automatically. Windows can, in its wisdom, decide to switch between networks which can cause drop outs. To fix make sure that only one network is set to autoconnect.

Having a Macbook Pro I can confirm that it isn't just Windows that suffers from this, OS X does too. Linux seems more well behaved though.
  • freebetsfreetips
    freebetsfreetips Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2019 at 9:36AM
    I think I have it set up so the laptop is ionly connecting to the 2.4 but the probelm, which went away for a while, seems to be back. Maybe not quite as bad. Should I now try and change the channel of the 2.4? Currently on 6. 5Ghz on 44.

I moved it onto automatic (smart wireless), that re-selected channel 6 and it has dropped connection again. Have moved to channel 1 so fingers crossed.
  • I still seem to be getting issues and losing connection. Should I just manually keep changing channel though all the options until one proves best?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its not just a case of you changing channels, if something else nearby changes channels you run the risk of clashing back into it again.

Where possible and if the hardware supports it just leave it on the 5Ghz wireless connection which will be less congested. The problem with 2.4Ghz is its not only used by wireless computer networks but also a lot of other things that are wireless too and it is quite packed.
  • My laptop doesn't support 5ghz. I'm trying a wired connection though as that's convenient enough anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure