18 and starting college

My daughter has just enrolled to do three A levels to get into the NHS, she has just done two A levels, was going to start university, then opted for a gap year because she wanted a better university after she got good grades.
She was living with her mum up untill six months ago, and she was getting all benefits for her, which I was expecting to end. Her mum does not work, and lives on her own.

She lived with me during the past six months, but I was happy to get nothing as it was coming to an end.

My daughter hasnt consulted me on this. Do most benefits end, I am happy not to get any money, but I want things to be legal and straight forward.

Comments

• sevenhills wrote: »
    My daughter has just enrolled to do three A levels to get into the NHS, she has just done two A levels, was going to start university, then opted for a gap year because she wanted a better university after she got good grades.
    She was living with her mum up untill six months ago, and she was getting all benefits for her, which I was expecting to end. Her mum does not work, and lives on her own.

She lived with me during the past six months, but I was happy to get nothing as it was coming to an end.

My daughter hasnt consulted me on this. Do most benefits end, I am happy not to get any money, but I want things to be legal and straight forward.

You can (if you qualify) claim child benefit and/or child tax credits for a child up to the day before their twentieth birthday, providing they are in non-advanced education. So you can claim for an 18 year old who is studying for A levels, but not one who is at university.

If your daughter is no longer living with her mum, her mum should should not be claiming any child related benefits for her.
  • If your daughter is no longer living with her mum, her mum should should not be claiming any child related benefits for her.

Mum could claim ...

A 'Qualifying Young Person' for Universal Credit child element is someone who has reached the age of 16 but not 20, up to but not including:

But I am earning above the tax credit income level. A quiet word and aI am sure she will have to stop claiming.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Mum could claim ...
    If your daughter isn't living with her mum then she shouldn't be claiming any benefits for her....
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If your daughter isn't living with her mum then she shouldn't be claiming any benefits for her....

I had a chat with mum and she did not like it. She said that she gets £83 per week, which all gets transfered to my daughter. Not sure if she wants this situation because of the bedroom tax.
    Her mother is rather unbalanced. Just spoke to her Dad, things are going to be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure