mon-friday - able to self cert, or do they count the weekend before?

Options
Hi there,

I'm in my early 40s, and working in full time employment on a typical 9-5 job within the NHS

This week however, I'm currently off sick feeling unwell.

I've been off sick since Monday, but I'm still not feeling quite right, better - but not there yet, so ideally would like to take tomorrow off also.

Trouble is I'm a bit confused over this 7 day rule of self certification, as its never really applied to me in the past (other than one time when I was off for several weeks from an injury many years ago)

From what I gather, I'm allowed up to 7 consecutive days, and that this includes weekends in the time calculated for that

This is easy to understand, eg Tuesday to Monday (inclusive = 7 days total - can self cert) if Tuesday through to Tuesday off (inclusive), would be 8 days - so therefore a fit note needed

What I'm not certain though, is if its a full Monday to Friday....does that then include the previous weekend? Which would then be 9 days if it included the sat and sunday before then?

It's putting me on edge a little bit taking tomorrow off in case I then get called in and asked to produce, and then have to try and get in to see a doc, at a time I will probably then be fine (and it takes a few days to get appointments)

From the guidelines at work it says

"

6.2. Once the absence has lasted 7 days (i.e. 7 calendar days, regardless of how many

of these were working days) a fit note certificate will be required and self-certification

will no longer be sufficient.
"

so if they include the sat and sunday before I was off, it changes the outcome and I'll have to look at calling docs

Thank you

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It starts the first day you were off work for sickness.

As an NHS employee you'll be aware, or can check, the extra policies in place.

e.g. not to attend work for 48 hours after vomiting.
  • Feverdog
    Options
    Thank you Comms69. So I should be ok then, as it was the Monday morning I rang in sick? While I work for the NHS its a background role so don't get to know the ins and outs of the health policies - but the wording consuming me with the 7 day thing and adding weekends to the mix, didn't want the previous weekend gone to cause an issue (where I wasn't sick but obviously was not at work)
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought it starts from the first day you're off work as sick, so as long as you're back in work on Monday you'll be fine.

But don't go back until Tuesday and you won't.
  • Feverdog
    Options
    Thank you ReadingTim. I may still be a bit anxious about going back, but it seems that the rules are on my side. If I am significantly better I may still go in tomorrow though
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Feverdog wrote: »
    Thank you Comms69. So I should be ok then, as it was the Monday morning I rang in sick? While I work for the NHS its a background role so don't get to know the ins and outs of the health policies - but the wording consuming me with the 7 day thing and adding weekends to the mix, didn't want the previous weekend gone to cause an issue (where I wasn't sick but obviously was not at work)
    Unless specified otherwise the policies apply to all employees
  • Placitasgirl
    Options
    Feverdog wrote: »

These aren't "health policies" that you need to know the in's and out's of. As a member of NHS staff you should be fully aware of and have access to the Staff Sickness Policy for your trust which applies to you and all staff. If you aren't you should make your Line Manager aware of this and to point you in the right direction as this sets the guidelines you should follow and outlines the policies and guidelines which are there to protect and hep both you and your employer.
  • Feverdog
    Options
    Thanks, I do have access to the site with the policies, I've hunted through, its the interpretation of what counts as 7 days though, or whether it could alternatively be classed as 9 as a result. The only examples I seem to find when searching, seem to be about days off eg Wednesday through to Tuesday etc. I just don't want a potential drama of problems and having to go see doctors about a bug that is nearly gone (and prob gone by the time I see him/her) when I get back, so if turns out I may, then I feel I may just drag myself back in
  • General_Grant
    Options
    If you would have been fit for work on the weekend before your first day of absence, then how could that be counted as two of the days to be self-certified?

You said you were "off sick" from Monday which might mean you were actually sick but not due in to work over the weekend.

Have a look at the self-certification form and see whether it asks for your first day of sickness or first day of absence.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Anywhere I've worked Monday to Friday, the clock starts ticking on the day you inform them you are sick. I'm assuming you didn't phone in on Saturday or Sunday to say you wouldn't be in on the Monday as that has the potential to muddy the waters. In general terms the 7 days in your example would be from the Monday .
  • Feverdog
    Options
    thank you all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills