Anyone been in Barclays recently?

Comments

• well it'll be better than having the branch closed down.

Lots of closures in the industry coming soon.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Last time I went in branch set up was like that. I just queued at the business desk and did the banking I wanted to there. Pay in a cheque, I had account details but never carry the card for that account so had a payment slip. Had no difficulties at all doing so.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Can one still pay in quantities of coin at branches? Something I'll need to do soon.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Barclays setup is pretty awful - period.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why would you want to visit a branch when you can do your banking online and on your phone from any location , even the comfort of your own home.

Also why would people want to get foreign currency at their bank!. They always offer really poor rates and you can get much better rates online or even better use a no fee card to withdraw abroad!
  • The last time I had to use a bank branch was about 5 years ago to deal with my mother’s affairs after she died. It was a Barclays branch in a small country town and I saw a ‘personal banker’ who was very pleasant, made copies of the necessary documentation and connected me on the phone to the bank’s probate department in Leicester. I discovered I could have rang them myself (or maybe do it online nowadays for all I know) and put the documents in the post but it seemed like a good idea at the time, as I hadn’t been in a branch for years except to use the ATM and assumed it was necessary to do these more complex things in person.

I went into my local Barclays branch (suburban London) to use an ATM a few months ago and it was fully automated with only one counter marked ‘business customers’ and a couple of staff members wandering around with iPads. Their new machines look as if they do most if not all routine transactions. It took me a few moments to work out the cash withdrawal procedure i.e. offering you the denominations of note required, which I thought a bit overdone for £50 but I’m sure it’s useful for bigger amounts.

I can see the demise of high street branches. I do all my banking online, make most payments by card and very occasionally draw some cash from an ATM – which could of course be situated anywhere. I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    takman wrote: »
    Why would you want to visit a branch when you can do your banking online and on your phone from any location , even the comfort of your own home.

Also why would people want to get foreign currency at their bank!. They always offer really poor rates and you can get much better rates online or even better use a no fee card to withdraw abroad!

I generally agree, but there are a few things that can't be done from home (yet), one of which is paying in cheques, which I do on the rare occasion I get one (Premium Bond win usually) over the counter at my local TSB.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you been to Santander recently? There are 2-3 counter positions and most are in use my elderly people recounting tales of their grandchildren.

Shouldn't that be 1-2-3 counter positions?
  • newlease
    newlease Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They redid my branch a few months ago. We have 3 machines, 2 counters although only 1 is ever attended with the second employee instead roaming around directing and assisting customers. There are also 2 desks/tables with a staff each who are for Premier customers who relieve long queues.

My Lloyds redid the setup last year. 2 counters only 1 is usually attended, 3 desks/tables with 1-2 being staffed.

I much prefer Barclays after the changes.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Can one still pay in quantities of coin at branches? Something I'll need to do soon.

Some HSBC branches have machines that accept coin deposits.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport