Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• Evening Gorgeous Girl - Hope things are good in your world ..We do always miss you :)
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I second what Rosa has said Sam. Sharing that about you made such an impact on me that I couldn't find the right words to say.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hello lovely people, apologies for the slight silence, the laptop died on me yesterday as I was starting the next post!

I had a lovely time with my friend and was very glad I went as being around made the day rather easier on her (and she's had a couple of difficult things happen recently). It also helped me think a bit about what I want for my house and the longer term dreams.

I've had a bit of a wobble re the vision board stuff as I started the new job this week - which I am still very grateful for but have just reached the conclusion tonight that I don't know how it serves my vision. I'm sure there is a way that it will, I just don't understand it yet and I think that's part of what was making me impatient and uncomfortable. So I think I probably need to sort out some goals to keep me heading for the dream rather than the safe path.

The first of those is to take my holiday - synchronicity has managed to find me a place at a local cattery despite asking at such short notice and I'm just waiting to hear back from a relative before I make bookings. That will get me clear away so I can dream and scheme without the day job in my face all the time, and it might help me narrow down ideas of where I want to live too. The lovely man has replied to a couple of FB messages but not taken up the opportunity to make that more of a conversation, so not sure if that is going to go anywhere even if he's around (on the other hand it doesn't look like he really uses FB much anyhow) but who knows who else I might meet anyway :D

The other thing is to make some turtle steps on a pie in the sky project. It will be wonderful if it works and I am in kind of a unique position to make it happen, so if I don't do anything I will kick myself in a year's time. So here's my first goals written down:

Sky Pie goals for August
    • Email librarian
    • Get relevant references from academic library - next Tuesday
    • Contact research team to ask about their methods
    • Investigate either getting a tablet or replacing laptop

There are probably a few things I can do to try and make my current job support my longer term dreams. And here's those for now:
    Cunning conversion goals for August and September
    • Get train the trainer course agreed
    • Write the journal article I've had outlined for months

College can just chug along for now - I will focus more on that after September.

The other area I need to do something about is the Get a Real Life goals :rotfl: - you'll have noticed I can very easily come up with work stuff and it needs balancing out with play :D
    Goals for August
    • Go on holiday
    • Do MT's recommended exercise of matching things I enjoy and things I do every day!

Suppose as this is MSE I should mention the money situation is OK. The car insurance is confirmed at the lower price *phew* and I realised that the pot is a little short for the MOT and service coming up, but it can be covered in the month. The holiday will be paid off rapidly and there are also things I can do to make it cheaper than it was travelling with a friend.

So after that slight ramble I am off to catch up on other diaries and then stare at my vision board and remind myself it can be real :D I'm already thinking of things for the next one and getting tempted to have a pair...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Already just as well I posted that - language course registration finishes at the end of this month and I will be away for a week then in college for a couple of days so might well have got distracted! No idea how I'm going to find the time but will manage. Fees are just going on the 0% together with the other college fees for now.

Excitement creeping in again... this could be for real... things [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] will be different in a year's time...

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi Rosa,

I do love life plan lists. More than to do lists! Isn't that a great quote about matching things you enjoy to things you do every day?

Which language have you decided to learn?

If you need a little push on the uniquely placed goal then please say. I'm sure I can find lots of quotes to send to help motivate you.

Can I ask, what you think a job solves for you overall, not just as a vision? I think I'm just trying to understand how a job you're grateful for doesn't meet your vision requirements.

Some men really are rubbish on messages, aren't they? The benefit there is that you know he's not chatting to lots of women, but it's also quite hard work if you're the one trying to instigate a conversation. Whatever happens, please keep in mind that you're far too special to be doing most of the work though! Far far far too special for that! MTxx
  • happy-dancing-elephant-smiley-emoticon.gif Exciting Times..... ..x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    That's a very good question MT - what does a job solve for me?

Well, mostly it gives me security. I like my independence (and there are limited other options anyway). And it gives me challenges that I might not have tried in other situations. But it can also distract me. I think the best I can explain it is that idea about efficiency being climbing a ladder very fast, but effectiveness being sure that you put the ladder against the right wall. I took up this career path in order to fund my original dream, and I wasn't expecting to find that I was good at it or continue for such a long time. I do love some parts of it - I get to do genuinely valuable things and never have to question the values of who I work for, I get to be creative in what I do because I work with some sensible people who let me, and I like the people I work with a lot. However... I have kept on saying that I will be leaving soon to do something that feeds my soul more, and every time I get offered a new challenge and think I'll stay a bit longer. This time i have consciously acknowledged that, and taken the new role on the basis that I need to stay in the area for now until I finish college, and that I need stability while I sort out what next (thank you Martha Beck who says don't make drastic changes when seeking your North Star). So I am grateful to still have security to support what I want to do, and still be learning as I go, but a little sad that it seems I'm still waiting for something that feels totally me.

And I guess that's why I need to track progress towards my longer term vision, so that I don't get too distracted by the day to day stuff.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Some men really are rubbish on messages, aren't they? The benefit there is that you know he's not chatting to lots of women, but it's also quite hard work if you're the one trying to instigate a conversation. Whatever happens, please keep in mind that you're far too special to be doing most of the work though! Far far far too special for that! MTxx

Well it's a bit complicated - as these things are I suppose :rotfl: ... we got along brilliantly to start with and he was certainly making an effort too, but then I think wires got a little crossed and I think that he thinks I don't like him after all... and there wasn't a chance to explain, and FB isn't the place to do that ... which is why I'm doing my best to create an opportunity for a fresh start. So we'll see :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    happy-dancing-elephant-smiley-emoticon.gif Exciting Times..... ..x

Absolutely :rotfl:

I think that might have to go on my next vision board :rotfl:
  • RosaBernicia
    And just after I posted that about the job thang, I looked in my inbox and found this from Martha Beck :)
    http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c57068f5b1eb0f6ec956dd3b3&id=c93f24cc9b&e=d065165383
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport