MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Not in our one.

The machine is right next to the customer service desk.

I am another one who has difficulty seeing how this is going to work.

Waitrose don't want to see it work.

When it gets to be totally unworkable by thier own tinkering they will close the free coffee deal saying 'it's unworkable.'

I next see the free paper only being offered when you spend £20.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 10:18PM
    robin58 wrote: »
    Waitrose don't want to see it work.

When it gets to be totally unworkable by thier own tinkering they will close the free coffee deal saying 'it's unworkable.'

I next see the free paper only being offered when you spend £20.

When they do that it will be the beginning of the end of Waitrose.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    kiwi07 wrote: »
    When they do that it will be the beginning the end of Waitrose.

The beginning of the end of Waitrose has already arrived. It arrived when Aldi and Lidl started targeting its customers - and succeeded. It’s amazing how many former Waitrose customers we now see there, and these are people who wouldn’t be seen dead in Tesco or Morrisons.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 1:43PM
    robin58 wrote: »
    Not at one of my local Waitrose. If you want tea you get a sealed one cup Duchy tea bag at the till when you pay. Strangely this procedure was introduced because of customers pocketing extra tea bags. And this is the part of town with money.

Good for them. Where I am noen of the three nearest Waitrose stores have such a system.

Those with money seem to be the worst - a sense of entitlement based on, I suppose, how much they spend in the store?
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Not in our one.

The machine is right next to the customer service desk.

I am another one who has difficulty seeing how this is going to work.

So is ours (Banstead), but no one is checking the cups, nor on any branch ive been to.
    As I said anyone with a cup could get free coffee if you were so inclined, also at the checkouts when asked "do you want a coffee?" The take up is less than 50%.
  • janesmith
    janesmith Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ridiculous idea. Who carries a cup around with them all day long so that they can use when they do their shopping at Waitrose?

Waitrose have gradually been degrading the benefit of using their card through several measures in the last few years, and this measure is another regressive step.

Waitrose's prices are astronomical and getting rid of every benefit of using the supermarket through every trick imagineable will continue to drive people away.
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    janesmith wrote: »
    Ridiculous idea. Who carries a cup around with them all day long so that they can use when they do their shopping at Waitrose?

Waitrose have gradually been degrading the benefit of using their card through several measures in the last few years, and this measure is another regressive step.

Waitrose's prices are astronomical and getting rid of every benefit of using the supermarket through every trick imagineable will continue to drive people away.

I agree with you. The next thing they do is to say "After listening to our loyal customers and taking into account how inconvenient it were for them to bring their own cups, we finally decided to stop giving free coffees in all our shops".:mad:
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:46AM
    janesmith wrote: »

Where I am the majority of people who get the free coffee are from local offices/estate agents etc. So they can just keep a cup there. I pick up a coffee on my way back from the gym - no hardship to pop a cup in my gym bag.

Shoppers use the cafe quite often. Or, as many drive, they have a cup in the car. A lot of cars have cup holders these days

I like Waitrose. It is my nearest store so the obvious one to shop at. As previously said staff are friendly and no rush at the checkout. Last time I shopped at Lidl the young checkout lady whizzed the stuff through so quickly it took me a while to catch up. Much tutting and sighing from the queue behind me!

Like others, I am interested to see how (if) they manage it. It would be all too easy in our branch to nip in with a cup and nip out again.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you really hard up, get an old cup out of the bin, take it in the loo and wash it, hey presto free coffee, and its a Waitrose cup! (Lol)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I work in an office near a Waitrose & we teach new arrivals to get a card to get a brew. We're planning a team outing to various pound shops to source travel mugs so we can carry on our happy habits.
    Waitrose is perfectly reasonable for milk, has an impressive choice of teas coffees sandwiches & biscuits (for visitors) & we ran a vigorous grapevine on the advent promotions (especially the 50% off boxed chocolates as I recall!)
    They employ nice staff & appear to wish to do no harm - we will happily support them. If it all goes sideways, we may have to remind folks of Greggs offerings, but the Waitrose coffee is much nicer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure