HL share dealing account "no charge"

Looking at their website it costs £11.95 to make a deal but then no annual charge (unlike the .45% for ISA and SIPP). What's the catch?

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    None, that's the deal for the Fund and Share account, it's quite competitive. The ISA and SIPP charges are capped at £45 and £200
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A_T wrote: »
    What's the catch?
    Compare the £11.95 to £5 in iWeb. No annual charge for a vanilla dealing account either, although there is a £25 iWeb one-off startup fee, making it a net saving after four trades.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ColdIron wrote: »
    None, that's the deal for the Fund and Share account, it's quite competitive. The ISA and SIPP charges are capped at £45 and £200

Thanks.

I was wondering if I invest 10k in just one ETF, I'm thinking of HSBC ETFs Plc MSCI World ETF GBP (HMWO) which has an annual fee of .15%, will I incur any foreign exchange charges from HL. Or will I just pay the £11.95 deal charge then no further charges from HL just the .15% fund charge?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Looking at their website it costs £11.95 to make a deal but then no annual charge (unlike the .45% for ISA and SIPP). What's the catch?

If you buy unit trusts or OEICs there is an ongoing charge on those funds of up to 0.45% p.a.

http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/fund-and-share-account/charges-and-interest-rates

There are also termination charges which can be significant if you have a lot of separate holdings. And in the past HL have introduced new charges and increased existing charges and levied exit fees on those trying to leave solely to avoid the new/increased charges.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    will I incur any foreign exchange charges from HL.
    What sort of 'foreign exchange charges' are you thinking of? It looks like a standard ETF to me
    Or will I just pay the £11.95 deal charge then no further charges from HL just the .15% fund charge?
    Yes I should think so
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks.

I was wondering if I invest 10k in just one ETF, I'm thinking of HSBC ETFs Plc MSCI World ETF GBP (HMWO) which has an annual fee of .15%, will I incur any foreign exchange charges from HL. Or will I just pay the £11.95 deal charge then no further charges from HL just the .15% fund charge?
    For HMWO, I think that the dividends will be paid in US dollars and HL will probably charge a FX fee of 1.5%.
    The exit fees at HL would put me off using them (an account closure fee of £25+VAT and £25 per holding to transfer shares to another broker).
  • ColdIron wrote: »
    The ISA and SIPP charges are capped at £45 and £200

Is that correct? I am being charged the standard 0.45% for the ISA and SIPP.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    I use x-o at £5.95 and no annual charge for shares and ETFs.
    I suppose the 'catch' is you get no interest on cash, people tend to trade more than they think they will, and buy other things the platform makes a profit on. Same as Banks offer free current acounts in the hope of selling you something they make a profit on.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »

That's only true for shares though isn't it? I thought funds were uncapped?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    That's only true for shares though isn't it? I thought funds were uncapped?

Correct, the caps only apply to shares, ITs and ETFs. For all funds/UTs there is no cap on the platform fee.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport