Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    I've now got a sort of solution for the holiday as I won't be going for as long as I thought. I'm still going to take some time off but will have to go somewhere a bit closer to home than I wanted.

Any reason you can share?
    I'm mostly annoyed as I was hoping to run into the lovely man again :(

If you like him that much, then the words you are looking for are "arrange to meet"...
    but I guess I'll just have to look for one who doesn't live so flaming far away!

And how much of the country is that?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Ahhh Rosa, you've been interested in lovely man for a while now, so my romantic side wants you both to figure time and distance out with each other to, at the very least, get to know each other better. But I know you have a great mind and will do what is really right in all areas.

MTxx
  • Near or far, you'll have a fab holiday. And scout a new man but keep making plans for the other :D
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Evening Petal , Just had a catch up on your diary - I also sympathise as someone only home 2/3 nights a week . I suppose I like the positives too - it saves on electric and gas Bills :) oh an no dishes! :P

5 years I've probably lived out of suitcases :(

Do have a brilliant break where ever you go. Well done on the garden re-shuffle and the consistent decluttering.

Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Thanks Rosa and DIA. I would love a garden for Mr D but more for myself lol.

Rosa - everything is sounding so positive for you at the moment and well done on the ebaying. I keep putting it off but could do with the extra pennies lol.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39

• Decluttering has gone well this weekend, I have FINALLY :o put three things on 3bay tonight and also had a sudden urge to go through my books. I've ditched three carrier bags full, as I've got rid of all the old fiction that I'm never going to read again and could get on the Kindle if I do want it, plus a lot of self-development stuff that was interesting at the time but I won't read again. That can all go to the charity shop later in the week. I also did a bit of reshuffling in the garden and that led to a bit of rearranging the living room. I am hoping to get a pile of shredding done later this evening, in front of the TV if necessary.

Well done on the decluttering. I agree with fiction. I've got rid of so many books that I won't reread. Less to dust and more house room. Win. Win.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Doing the Sunday shuffle and payday check-up :)

All OK except for being confused about the credit card on YNAB. I've matched the budget to what they seem to think it needs and I think the issue is about the balance carrying from one calendar month to another - I have been clearing the statement balance, but not the full balance if there is a difference between the two. This gives me money in my account for a little longer but I may give up on it and just clear the lot if it's going to cause confusion. I know I'm all right for this month as I have a couple of expenses payments due that YNAB isn't counting as available yet.

I'm still making £10 a month from the account shuffle which is really easy now I've got it set up, but nothing on 3bay as yet as last week's items didn't sell. They did have watchers so have just relisted them and reduced one. I found a bag I wanted in D3benham5 and have managed to get it for almost half price using sale and cardholder offers, so am pleased with myself for making the effort - that's £28 staying in my pocket instead of theirs :D.

I had a look through my winter clothes and was amazed how little I kept after a major clearout earlier in the year :eek: so I do need to think about what I need now and will probably take a day or half day off to do some shopping. I don't normally enjoy it but I think I need some ideas so if I go by myself and allow lots of time for coffee stops perhaps it will be OK. I've looked online but haven't found much I want yet.

Had a lovely weekend, saw several friends and a movie, just trying to get chores under control at present as I'd got quite behind. Fortunately this week coming is the last week of the training course so I will get my evenings back. I am finding that weekends are much busier now that I've got time for fun stuff, so I want to get chores sorted during the week. I made a little more progress on the garden today so it is improving slowly and the things that need doing in the flat are mostly small jobs that can be tackled in an occasional half hour once I have more evenings free.

More added to the house deposit pot so it's nice to see that start growing :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Oh and about the holiday plans, they will probably be adjusted - I think I will take a long weekend to give myself a day out, a day shopping and some chill time, but probably not go away as I haven't any particular ideas on what I want.

It also means I can take time for another trip that just might have an opportunity to run into the lovely man again. But I've decided he's going to have to be an option not a priority until further notice!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Having just returned from a 3 week break and feeling blue, I think there's a lot to be said for short breaks/long weekends. Less adjusting to a normal working pattern again. As you say, a day out and some chill time. Sounds good to me :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Hello lovely,

You always sound so level headed and in control. It's lovely to know you're getting so busy doing good things on the weekend that you catch up on chores during the week. I think I need to start doing the nastier jobs in the week so the weekends are a bit more productive.

MTxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure