Booked 5 bed villa but only 4 beds

I booked a 5 bed villa for a family holiday to Spain back in JanuaryI have just received an email from the booking agent to say it only has 4 bedrooms and we hope this doesn't spoil your holiday.:mad::mad: The holiday is in 2 weeks time. I have emailed them asking to be moved to a 5 bed with the same facilities but haven't heard back yet.
Don't know how to proceed if they refuse. Any advice would be gratefully received.
TIA

Comments

• What exactly did you book?
    Was it a 5 bedroom villa or a villa with 5 beds?

The first one would have 5 bedrooms but the 2nd one could have 4 bedrooms provided that one of the rooms had 2 beds in (maybe two single beds for children).
  • NI_BOBS
    NI_BOBS Posts: 78
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This happened us with a rental agency. They offered us three options - full refund, option of some compensation if we could cope with change in what we had originally booked, or move us to a superior rental apartment at a heavily reduced rate.
    As flights booked we opted for the latter and got an amazing apartment that we couldn't have afforded at original price.
    All in all worked well in our favour.
    Hope this works out for you..

* Most companies scared not to be more than helpful for fear of bad reviews.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When it said "5 bed villa" did it specifically say 5 bedrooms? If it said 5 beds then they may have included the sofabed in that count.

Post #2 asks basically the same thing - I got caught on a phone call before hitting Submit.
  • Definitely a 5 bedroom villa
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Definitely a 5 bedroom villa

any links to the property
    how many did it say it slept, with 5 bedrooms I would expect 12 plus
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I went on holiday a few years back and booked 4 bedrooms; when we arrived they gave us a smaller 3 bedroom apartment with fewer and said the kids could share; I told them I had paid for 4 and I'd like what I paid for, please. They begrudgingly moved us to the correct one.
  • We didn't book it for the amount of people going. We booked a five bed. There are nine in the party. They said in their email that they would "urgently amend their listing of the villa to reflect the change", too late for us though
  • If you booked a 5 bed they are contracted to give you that, therefore, if they don't they have broken their contract with you and they are liable to put it right. You will have to negotiate with them.

If you paid by CC you can ask for a refund or a chargeback if you paid by Debit card. At such a late stage though I doubt you want to do that....
  • They have got back and are going "try to find" another 5 bed and will let us know early next week what they have.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They have got back and are going "try to find" another 5 bed and will let us know early next week what they have.

I think you need to see if you can find one yourself - anything left might be prepared to do a deal.

The weather in England has help people stay in the UK, so bookings abroad are down!

If you find anything get your original place to refund!

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure