Esa ?

Comments

• sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks , Despite spending hours on the phone, completing the forms we were told to, security checks you were right. I turned up with all my paperwork at the Job Centre and we have done it all wrong. I even asked when booking this appt was this right because I wasnt claiming, assured it was. The lovely lady cancelled the claim and gave me the correct phone number and the forms. Ironically the form from his company arrived too!. She has given us the phone number, the options to press, the I.D required. She said someone will come to the house to see him.
    Thanks again
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sheilavw wrote: »
    Thanks , Despite spending hours on the phone, completing the forms we were told to, security checks you were right. I turned up with all my paperwork at the Job Centre and we have done it all wrong. I even asked when booking this appt was this right because I wasnt claiming, assured it was. The lovely lady cancelled the claim and gave me the correct phone number and the forms. Ironically the form from his company arrived too!. She has given us the phone number, the options to press, the I.D required. She said someone will come to the house to see him.
    Thanks again
    Which is what we were trying to tell you the whole time. Claiming Contribution based New style ESA will of course depend on NI contribution in the last 2 tax years.
  • sheilavw
    thanks. we spent hours on the phone and kept getting told it was correct. He checked his NI 41 full years , 2015 to 2016 full but2016 to
    2017 says part, he was off part of yr n started zero hr contract jul 16 so had earning from then on?
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    You did do it all wrong.

He claimed UC which is why they wanted to see you in the jobcentre. He should withdraw his UC claim.

He has to do a separate claim for ESA Conts New Style, for this claim they will not need to see you, and will not need to see him. He can only backdate an ESA claim up to 3 months, he will need his SSP1 from his employer, he will need to have earned enough to qualify for ESA C, circa £5600 per year for the the tax years 15/16 & 16/17 and at least 26 weeks of that in a single tax year has to be above LEL which is about £110 per week.
  • sheilavw
    thanks! they have cancelled the claim. he finally got the form yesterday from work . 2015 to 16 just under 15k 2016 to 2017 £6.333.26 (had to look at historic transactions) however some of this is ssp n a couple of hundred esa befor he started his new job mid july 2016, does this mean he hasnt enough earnings? he is going to ring monday.I have got everything ready on the checklist
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From a link I posted earlier:

"The contribution conditions
    You qualify for contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions. There are two contribution conditions you must meet:

First contribution condition - in one of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid Class 1 or 2 contributions on relevant earnings at the lower earnings limit for at least 26 weeks. This means you must have worked for at least 26 weeks of the last two complete tax years; and
    Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
    The 2 tax years that are relevant are the ones that were completed before the benefit year in which your period of limited capability for work began.

The tax year runs 6 April - 5th April
    The benefit year runs from the first Sunday in January.
    The lower earnings limit for the 2014/2015 tax year was £111 per week, for 2015/2016 it was £112 per week, for 2015/2017 it was £112 per week, "

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will treat any credits that are earned as a carer as actual National Insurance payments."

Equivalent annual earnings to achieve the lower earnings limit for the 2014/2015 tax year was £111 times 52 = £5772, and for 2015/2016 it was £112 times 52 = £5824."
    (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • sheilavw
    As instucted by our job centre he called the new ESA contributions line 08003285644 choose option 2 then option 6. They said No we are in a Universal credit area and passed him from pillar to post all day. I called back in the job centre at the end of the day. They said the people are poorly trained and the number is right. They are speaking to a manager today to tray and sort it and will ring him
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 11:03PM
    sheilavw wrote: »
    As instucted by our job centre he called the new ESA contributions line 08003285644 choose option 2 then option 6. They said No we are in a Universal credit area and passed him from pillar to post all day. I called back in the job centre at the end of the day. They said the people are poorly trained and the number is right. They are speaking to a manager today to tray and sort it and will ring him

He has to claim ESA C New Style on the Universal Credit application line. The job centre has given you the correct phone number. Call again and say these words very clearly...
    "I wish to claim Employment Support Allowance Contributory New Style...this can only be done on the Universal Credit New claim phone line, if you are unsure about this please speak to your manager about it." If they still don't do it ask to speak to the manager directly, take names and office locations and say you want to make a formal complaint.

His tax year earnings seem fine, just wait and see.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I'm disappointed at the number of people here who are blaming the OP for the mess that has occurred when trying to claim Conts ESA. She has explained as clearly as she can that she did call the number provided, took the correct options, and told the person on the phone which benefit was being claimed. What more was she supposed to do? The vast majority of people haven't any idea about UC, Conts based benefits etc. It's the system which is at fault, not the claimant - certainly in this case.
  • sheilavw
    thanks. although the man at the job centre promised to call my Husband today he didnt! i have a plastic wallet it contains the letter from his employer stating the reasons they cannot pay him ( average earnings £110 so insufficient) 2 original sick notes 1 for 6 wks dated 29/1 and one for 4 wks dated 9/3. the completed forms job centre gave me last fri when i went for My interview and they cancelled incorrect claim we made online. they also gave me a sheet of paper to choose ID, enclosed his passport marriage certificate , recent council tax bill, recent water bill and his gp medical card. when i finish work tomorrow i will go again to job centre. i dont know what else to do after he spent all monday pn the phone. thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure