PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 March 2018 at 12:04AM
    Options
    Happy Saturday night everyone. I hope folks have been able to keep warm and dig themselves out of the snow today. Today was the first day I went officially shopping and I stocked up on a lot.

€27.82 at organic store - for bars of soap and bulk shower gel, the latter of which will last me several months.

€16.35 at Delhaize - strawberries, carrots, 2 blocks of halloumi, ground pork, and gruy!re.

€9.48 at the organic market - mushrooms, onions, celery, and a couple of cheeses. I decided to replace the Babybel I was going to buy at Lidl with one of these cheeses for snacking.

€29.41 at Lidl - chicken thighs, pork chops, salmon fillets, mozzarella, frozen spinach and leeks, red peppers, more strawberries (cheaper and looked better!), cheddar, and finally some tomato sauce for baked pastas.

€7.04 at halal store - parsley, ground beef, 2 small beef shins, and some short ribs cut into pieces for soup.

€3.40 at market in our square by OH - he bought garlic, ginger, and fresh turmeric.

I really wanted/craved an acorn squash but I think the season is over for that, coincidentally enough. I'll see if I can possibly get it another store later this week.

Totals So Far:
    €93.80 / €400.00
    2/10 NSD
    £0/£150 UK stock up

Meals / Sunday Batch Freezer Cooking planned in no particular order:
    Tomato sauce, spinach, and pasta bake - for OH to have in the freezer (and uses up ricotta)

Pork/Beef and ricotta meatballs - for freezer - easy meals for me (uses the rest of the ricotta)

Beef and vegetable soup

Chicken stock with skins and bones from the thighs

Roasted aubergine and zucchini with feta

Gratin of grains, leeks, spinach, and cheeses - freezer for OH and uses up cream and ricotta - I'm trying to recreate this dish that OH loves.

Mediterranean marinated chicken thighs - for freezer - using this recipe.

I also might stuff the red peppers with mushrooms, grains and other random things later this week.

Tomorrow I'll try to get through as much of the list above as I possibly can. I can feel myself getting sick, especially with an ear/sinus infection that's moving to my throat. I want to have some easy meals/resources to pull from this week where I can just feed myself. There's also some spicy pumpkin soup in the freezer that I'll pull out for eating this week. I feel like diving into soup the next few days. I need to make room anyway for all the chicken, pork chops and salmon I bought today.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    First official spends of the month.. £5.25 on meats and sausage from the local shop on way back from work.. No milk or bread in there at all.. (Luckily we had ample and the crusts to share with the birdies :A )
    Poor shop assistant was looking frazzled from all the grumpy/rude people wanting to know why they've not had a proper milk/bread delivery (errr.. Have you seen the snow!?!) :eek::mad:

We were listening to the BBC yesterday and they had a clip about Scottish farmers having to dump their milk because they couldn’t get it to market / processing due to the snow. What a waste. :(
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Just managed to update February with final total of £439.52 out of £600 budget!

Really pleased that I kept it under control last month as I know this month will be more difficult so fingers crossed I can do it again! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • Good morning all, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend whatever the weather!

A few spends to update:

Friday- 5.40 euros on tea, beer, juice and weekend treats.

Yesterday- 8.50 euros in Ikea on meatballs and sweets.
    28.50 stocking up on soya mince and veggie burgers, also bought dinner for last night because we didn't fancy going out.

Total spend this month is 122.10, nearly half way through budget but spending should be minimal for next couple of weeks.
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Spent £24 at Aldi to get the food in for the week, although there were a couple of bits they didn!!!8217;t have so will have to pop to Asda for those.

£83 remaining

Meal planning:
    Tonight: left over curry
    Monday: homemade fish goujons with Cajun wedges
    Tuesday: dinner at friends
    Wednesday: spaghetti bolognaise
    Thursday: sausage and lentil stew
    Friday: halloumi and cashew nut curry
    Saturday: pizza

Plus I!!!8217;m planning on making some breakfast bars for DP and some black bean brownies to take to our friends on Tuesday.
  • Daydreamers
    Options
    £30.98 spent on food and household this week.

I have done a freezer audit and my husband has 29 various home made lunches to plough through!!!

Not much for evening meals though so that is where I will need to spend this month.
    GC Challenge March £55.48/£200
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my sister comes to stay (week-days) from sunday so as a treat I've ordered a leg of lamb with my morries delivery. it was rather expensive but I thought as a one off it would be worth it. i'm hoping there's plenty of meat on it to get a couple of shepherds pies from it.
    the whole order came to £79!!!! tho luckily for this challenge a lot of it doesn't come out of this budget.
    while I remember douwe egberts coffee is on special offer there again, most of the reason the shop is sooo expensive, I swear dad just eats spoonfuls of it.
    this afternoon I want to sit with my soup cookbook, cos she likes that for lunches, and I tend to stick with the same few.
    dinner today is roast pork, I found a joint i'd cut in half before cooking and forgotten about, that should leave leftovers for a few dinners. i'm thinking it'd work in the 'chicken Glamorgan sausages' recipe I have and will make egg and pork fried rice tomorrow.
    hope everyone has the bright sun this morning like we do here :D snow is nearly all gone
  • archwaysaver
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Think I might live near you - going by your name. I can highly recommend Wood Green High Road for veggies - two stalls halfway down in particular. I get tons of veg there for pennies.

Ooh, thank you for the tip! There's a few good Turkish groceries near us and it's always good to find good value fresh veg, especially at this time of year.
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So my target is £304 this month and I didn't do too badly for the first few days, but its been a spendy morning today. Popped into Mr T's and managed to see off over £45, which was amazing considering the empty shelves. But almost £30 of that was for reduced price skin care products in the yellow sticker box.

Then just under £6 in c0op including 160 pg t-bags for £3, some mayo and bin liners - needed tho not essential, but I wanted to take advantage of the 'spend over £5 offer' using my H@lifax card and of course I just had to use my 10% discount.

And have finally completed my A$da order for next week for £71. Again another £23 of non-food items in there for MrSS. So I have around £110 left on the card and £25 in cash for the rest of the month - its going to be a challenge. Just one spend needed for next week, which are chicken breasts for Monday evening. I'm sure they will be back in stock tomorrow. I'm really please I have lots of ingredients for baking, including some date bars - they do look yummy.

March is going better than February so far, but I've some work to do on recording and being a bit more precise about food/non-food etc.

BTW Congratulations to everyone last month, I was just looking through all the declarations for Feb. Amazing to be so on it, knowing what you have spent, even if its been over what you planned. That would be a real result for me. :beer::T
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • xironsongx
    xironsongx Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to sign up please.

Our monthly total would be £200
    with £40 for smaller everyday items like bread & milk (anything not used will be stashed in our emergency kitchen pot)

I haven't had our shopping delivered for the last week of February because of the snow,
    So we will have £40 extra as I've estimated.
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure