PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Euston to St Pancras /kings cross is 10 minutes walk.

Several times a month I walk Euston to Baker Street which is around 20, a little longer if you detour in Regent's Park, but much more pleasant.

I would think Euston to Waterloo is about an hour, and there are now signs all over with maps on. It's quite hard to get lost in London nowadays. There's also Boris bikes, but I'm not brave enough to try them. I see someone has invented a fold up paper cycling hat, which is ingenious and something to put in your bag if you did need a Boris bike.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Hi Guys, reporting in after my grand tour of southern parts (northern england). Had a lovely time but so happy to be home.
    Will read back and write more I'm sure later :-)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Wondered how you were WCS :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2016 at 7:44AM
    Options
    Probably naive do-gooders?

I must have stood gobsmacked and open-mouthed talking to a friend the other day - who honestly thought anyone and everyone that wanted to should be able to move into our country (even economic migrants). They don't even regard it as "our" country. I don't think some people realise there is such a thing as a country being "full up" (hello - we are!) or that there will be all these extra demands on the NHS, benefits, etc. I still can't get my head round why anyone would have that way of thinking...

It's not just that troublesome "No Borders" group that disrupted things in "The Jungle" at Calais that can't seem to see the consequences of this....
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    '''Tis good to be a prepper.....at the weekend we visited relatives who live 200 miles away. On the way back OH took a detour and managed to clip the kerb, ripping a hole in one tyre and flattening another. Fortunately we had breakdown cover and within the hour the car and us were being driven back home by a very nice man from the recovery firm. And there was I earlier this year chuntering about the renewal premium!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Nargleblast its such a relief isn't it when disasters turn out to be doable due to prepping - well done!
    Been away a couple of weeks so may have missed the discussion, but is anyone else ansty about the economy in 2017? It's a little hard to judge as prices are always steep here, but they do appear to be rising, and if I understand things correctly the majority of price rises will come in next year? Apart from increasing the stockpile of food and other consumables, anyone prepping in other ways??
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Yep....prepping by doing all major expenditure possible asap. Even though it will involve taking out a loan for one thing (ie my new kitchen). I've got a secure income - so can do that (ie State Pension and Civil Service pension). I'd be much warier if I hadnt. But it does make sense for anyone on a secure income to do that.

At an emotional level - it makes sense to have one's home as sorted out as possible - because that is the one place where "you and you alone" say how things are (assuming you own it) and "a place of refuge" feels more important the worse things get "out there".
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But how secure is a state pension (or a private one come to that) these days. Didn't the pensioners in Greece think their income was secure? For those of us born after the war it can be hard to imagine a life without the security of "free" NHS treatment (for example) being readily available but some of the stories I am reading, and personal experience for a family member, are starting to make me quite concerned that many of our taken for granted services are on their knees and may not actually be around for too much longer.
    I prep a little bit and feel confident I could cope with minor, short-lived emergency, or a slightly longer "not very easy" period, or even a "zombie apocalypse", but the rapidly increasing erosion of services and wealth in the nation is of much more concern to me. When I look at our town centre it fills me with dismay that a once bustling middle to large sized town is now a place where the 2 hours free parking is unnecessary as there aren't enough shops to warrant spending 2 hours any more.
    Feel as gloomy as the fog outside today.
  • Saipan
    Saipan Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    But how secure is a state pension (or a private one come to that) these days. Didn't the pensioners in Greece think their income was secure? For those of us born after the war it can be hard to imagine a life without the security of "free" NHS treatment (for example) being readily available but some of the stories I am reading, and personal experience for a family member, are starting to make me quite concerned that many of our taken for granted services are on their knees and may not actually be around for too much longer.
    I prep a little bit and feel confident I could cope with minor, short-lived emergency, or a slightly longer "not very easy" period, or even a "zombie apocalypse", but the rapidly increasing erosion of services and wealth in the nation is of much more concern to me. When I look at our town centre it fills me with dismay that a once bustling middle to large sized town is now a place where the 2 hours free parking is unnecessary as there aren't enough shops to warrant spending 2 hours any more.
    Feel as gloomy as the fog outside today.

Agree completely with this. It worries me hugely that the intelligent, professional and extremely well-informed views of someone like the Governor of the Bank of England are rubbished in the likes of the Daily Mail as 'doom-laden' or else relegated to a tiny paragraph somewhere near the back pages - in this case, he was warning that the wealth of the nation is under greater threat than at any time since Victorian England. Put up a reasoned argument against his views by all means, but we seem to see little of this in the media or from politicians - dismissing people's views out of hand because you don't like what they are saying is much easier, I guess.

I feel that many people sense something very wrong because of their own experiences, despite what they are being told by TPTB. I work, for my sins, in a senior role in local government on a regional basis so am close to the workings a of several local authorities. Public services are teetering on the brink, as you rightly say, with the difference between richer and poorer areas being just a matter of degree - nowhere is immune.

But the positive for me is that there are ideas and changes that can be tried out and could make things better - the Gov of the B of E came up with a few yesterday, they may work, they may not, but at least he is telling me something that I believe because I see it all around me. The more of us who ask what is going to be done about what we see around us, the more notice TPTB will have to take.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant!

As regards pensions, I mentioned these in a post a couple of pages ago so I won't repeat myself. Just to say that on paper I will have a good local government pension, plus a small private pension from my days as an academic, plus full contributions for a State pension. I hope it will still all be there when I retire in a very few years but there is no way I will be banking on it (excuse the pun!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure