help me work out new budget

I am in the process of buying a shared ownership new build 2 bed flat (sold marital home (£820 a month at mo)and moving out of the single room I rent (£380 a month at mo)so saving money!!)

I want to try and work out my new budget in advance but need some help with figures and whether I have allowed for everything.

Mortgage 440
rent 274
service charge 53
council tax including 25% disc 81
contents (buildings done by freeholder) ????
mortgage/income/critical illness protection ????
house phone - how much is BT?
TV Licence - 11.99???
Gas ???
Water ???
Electricity???
Internet - could get free with orange
not having sky.

I haven't included things that will stay the same (food, horse, company car so no payments there, debt repayments (waiting for bank charges of about £5100 so should clear a lump sum)

Are there any other household bills I have forgotten, can anyone help me fill in the blanks on the figures?

Are there any other bills I have forgotten?

Also I will have some furniture that I will need to buy with some of the equity from the last house. I will need a sofa, bed, guest bed, wardrobes and some kitchen bits. I would rather go for quality than quantity. Any tips for getting the best deals (yes I will avoid DFS and their plans like the plague!!!!)

Thank you
:beer:

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have a 2 bed flat and for electricity (and electric cooker) we use about £1 a day - but OH does refuse to turn things off and uses standby instead. (No electric shower or tumble dryer).

For gas when it's just water heating up twice a day we use about £5 a week but when the heating is on in winter It works out about £40+ a month just to have the heating on for a few hours a day :eek:

Then again, both of these are on prepayment meters so probably quite high - but that means no nasty bills ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • inthegreen
    inthegreen Posts: 170 Forumite
    would you recommend a prepayment meter? I have always paid monthly by giving exact readings and paying by debit card
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well on the one hand it is usually more expensive to pay that way. It is very annoying when in the middle of cooking the electricity runs out and you have to go and take the key out and put it back in to trigger "emergency" money. It is also annoying when it's cold outside and tipping down with rain and you have to go out to put money on the card so you can have a bath coz it ran out and you forgot to check it (or money ran out). Oh yeah and you can only top it up when the shop is open so if it runs out in the night you are pretty much stuffed!! ;)

But if money is tight and you are running low on funds then you can keep a careful eye on it and turn heating off if needed or go without hot water for a couple of days till payday.

Would absolutely hate to run out of electricity completely though!!!

Pro's and con's.

I'd switch to DD for electricity any day to make sure it never ran out but OH likes the prepay and his name's on the bill :D

Oh yeah and a friend used to have prepay and overslept every time her electricity ran out in the night as she had an electric alarm clock!!!
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Personally i love my pre payment meter. I know it is more expensive but you know what you are spending each month and it is easy to use. Mind you at xmas i have to double the amount i put on the electric as my display (in consumption) rivals that of the blackpool lights :rotfl:. I do apologise for mentioning the x word but i love it :T

ym
  • inthegreen
    yeah I'll be able to have a christmas tree you've got me all excited now!!:j
  • inthegreen
    :j

any more tips or guesses on amounts I wil be paying

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BT is about £13 per month line rental. read martin's article on free evening and weekend calls.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi there,

Martin has an article on home and contents insurance

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance

You can actually go onto the sites and ask for a no obligation quote for contents to get a good budgetary guide. If you imagine roughly the cost for replacing your stuff first, then total this and ask for that cover as a total.

You can also do the same and get a quote for the other insurances too.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • inthegreen-have you looked at Martin's budget planner?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning#planner

this lists things i would never have thought of including in my monthly budget! and the auto calculator makes it even more useful
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    no advice sorry but wanted to say, reading your signature how fantastically well you have done you must be well chuffed :) :T :T
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business