Nationwide Switch Service

Options
Hi all,

I was thinking about opening up a Nationwide current account. Then I came across Nationwide Switch Service (Refer a friend scheme). But the only problem is, I don't have a current account that I want to switch at this moment to Nationwide and I don't have two extra direct debits.

I was wondering, can I open a normal Nationwide current account and then switch to Nationwide FlexDirect using the Refer a friend scheme?

If anyone can help with the two Direct Debit, it will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to set up two random DD's to get the free £100.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ESonic wrote: »
    I was wondering, can I open a normal Nationwide current account and then switch to Nationwide FlexDirect using the Refer a friend scheme?
    . No. You have to switch a non-Nationwide account to Nationwide...unsurprisingly!
    If anyone can help with the two Direct Debit, it will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to set up two random DD's to get the free £100.
    A couple of savings accounts accepting deposits by DD. Several threads on here on the topic (try the savings board).

Maybe some magazine subscriptions?
    Lottery?
    Some 'genuine' existing DDs?
    Charity donations?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is also a referrers board if you don't have a friend to recommend you.

Lots of DDs are easy enough to move online like mobile contracts - couple of clicks and it's done. The DDs need to be set up on the account before it's switched. You can switch it back to the original account it's paid from later if you want to.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • ESonic
    ESonic Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Where is the referrer board?

I got few questions.

I have a Natwest current account that I don't use, can I set up two direct debits for national lottery (£2.50 a month) and then use the switch service (refer a friend scheme)? Will this work?

The reason why I want Nationwide account is to access their savings account. Please let me know.

Thank you.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2018 at 7:33PM
    Options
    If you don't want to set up 2 small DDs for £100, and you only want it for the RS then just open an account rather than switching.

Seems a poor idea as for very little work you can get £100 but each to their own.

You could always set up 2, £1 charity DDs rather than lottery if you prefer.

Edit: Referrer thread here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5831836
  • ESonic
    ESonic Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I also want to refer my friend to Nationwide after I switched to get another £100.

Thanks,

This thread can get closed.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, you won't be able to delete this thread!

There are quite a few suggestions on the savings board for DDs- either 'savings' accepting DDs, or a thread connected to Tesco,looking for replacements for last month. You only need the DDs for the switch- after you have your bonus they can go.

Quite a few charities will accept £2 DDs

Savings? Christmas club? maybe your local Credit Union?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    No, you won't be able to delete this thread!

I suspect that the OP simply meant that they were satisfied with the answers that they had received and didn't feel there was a need for any further replies. They didn't ask for it to be deleted.

On some forums it is common practice to close threads once an answer has been found. I know that isn't the case here, but the OP, as a new member, may be familiar with that set up elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure