IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Ltd

born_sandy
born_sandy Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 20 March 2018 at 9:04PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Are there any grounds for appeal here?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,155
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lots of grounds to appeal.

Start by editing your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, or Occupants.

Once you have done that, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES, then send the template appeal you will find there around day 26. Include a copy of the blue badge from An Occupant of the car and a add a line to the effect that An Occupant was disabled and has protected characteristics as defined by the Equality Act 2010, so they must therefore cancel this unwarranted charge.

Do not under any circumstances say who was driving.

What happened when you complained to the store manger about this disgraceful scam?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    Forumite
    I forgot to mention that of course the blue badge scheme does not apply on private land. Whilst it is a useful indicator that an occupant of the car has a disability, it is not the only indicator.
    That's where the EA 2010 comes in to protect people with disabilities but who don't have a BB.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    UKPC are known fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 9:11PM
    Are there any grounds for appeal here?
    Always, and NO grounds to pay it.

Complain to Matalan by going in with her and the Blue Badge.

Also appeal with a copy of the Blue Badge but WITHOUT saying who was driving, and ON DAY 26.

NOT sooner, NOT for the appeal. See the NEWBIES thread as to why to wait till day 26.

But do complain immediately as your Plan A, and don't let the oldies try it themselves as they will be too polite and deferential. Be with them and quote the Equality Act ans that to charge a disabled person to use a provision, is illegal, as soon as they 'knew or should have known' about the disability (i.e. at the point of complaint, they should cancel).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks for the advice, good people!

Sent a letter of appeal with all relevant details. Reply vaguely states that part of the letter was missing and asks us to re-submit.

Hmmmm ... I smell a cunning plan on their behalf. Is this a ruse? What's our next step?

They also include in the letter an invitation to pay the charge - which seems to contravene Item 22.9 of the BPA AOS Code of Conduct!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Born_sandy, did you read any of the replies others posted weeks ago?
  • Yes, and I took and acted upon the useful advice therein.

This evening's post refers to - and seeks advice regarding - subsequent developments.

Why do you ask?
  • Fruitcake
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 9:14PM
    You said you sent an appeal with all relevant details, but haven't said whether that was the template appeal plus a single point about an occupant being covered by the EA 2010, and that you sent it around day 26.

You haven't said what the retail manager said when you complained either.

You haven't said what their reply was, just that something was missing and that they asked for more information.

We are not mind readers, so we don't know for certain what you sent, and have no idea what the scammers reply was.

You see our dilemma.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Because you don't mention what happened when you complained to Matalan, as we said:
    But do complain immediately as your Plan A, and don't let the oldies try it themselves as they will be too polite and deferential. Be with them and quote the Equality Act ans that to charge a disabled person to use a provision, is illegal, as soon as they 'knew or should have known' about the disability (i.e. at the point of complaint, they should cancel).

And you say you 'sent a letter'? You mean appealed online as keeper? Not a 'letter'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 9:13PM
    born_sandy wrote: »
    Why do you ask?
    Because:
    1) you only edited your opening post, as suggested in post #2, after I mentioned in post #7 that you had appeared to have ignored that suggestion. That's two weeks after the suggestion was made.
    Now that you have effectively deleted your opening post it is much more difficult for others to comment on it.

2) you have said nothing about having approached Matalan, as suggested in post #5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure