Smart meter and solar panels

Options
Can smart meters be installed in properties with solar panels? Will the generation meter of the solar panels remain as it is and will we continue to send readings for Feed in tariff every 3 months? Has anyone with solar panels got smart meters installed by Scottish Power?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and I wouldn't know (I'm with EDF).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Do you really want a smart meter ? They're not compulsory (yet) and offer no advantage over the sort of monitoring equipment many SP owners already have.

If you do have one, you may not be able to access the data that the meter provider collects or if you can access it, it may not be in a form that you find useful.

There's no common standard for the things so as long as you don't get one fitted by the company that are paying your FIT its export readings can't be used to pay the export part of the FIT scheme.

The only real advantage that smart metering offers is the ability of your supplier to use them for remote disconnection which you may not feel is any great advantage to the customer.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    Options
    So far, I've turned down all EDF's attempts to fit me a 1st generation smart meter.

As EricMears says, it offers a method for your supplier to shut you off if you don't pay, but does not provide any way to disconnect your own supply for maintenance (but it can snitch to your energy company if a naughty electrician just pulls the fuse - which they shouldn't really do, but do because the alternative is too much like hard work).

Worse, EDF's rubbish meter has the ability to measure your export, but it's not tested or calibrated, which means that I still wouldn't get paid the correct amount for all my exported electricity. So much for "no more estimated bills".
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ovo offered to fit me a smart meter "for free" and I accepted. Bloke arrived, had a look and said he could not fit it because it only had four input points and the current one has five. But, I could pay an electrician to sort it if I wanted. I decided against that option and keep sending readings every month.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thought I would reinvigorate this thread to see if we can get to the bottom of the smart meter "black box". Perhaps the likes of Malc from E.On or other supplier reps would care to give us the low-down.

As far as I can see there is no benefit to having a smart meter at all. All they seem to do is provide automatic meter reads - wow, that would save me at least 5 minutes every 3 months! They also provide real-time use figures but many people who would pay any attention to them have probably already bought something like the Owl or immerSUN or whatever they are all called.

So, what benefit is there to having a smart meter (hopefully someone can come up with something other than the hype in the media)?

Do they "work" with PV to give you import/export etc data (needs two CT clamps I think)?

What is the impact on export data. Some FiT providers seem to say you must use the export figures from the smart meter; other say you cannot. Why is there no consistency?

And, what is the benefit in real terms of holding out as long as possible for later models/standards etc?

I think I know what some of the answers are but it would be good to have in one place - and who knows, Mart may then be able to update FAQ 4c :rotfl::rotfl:
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I can see, the only benefit to a smart meter is that it can be used to remotely disconnect a property. If at some time in the future, a supplier offers a tariff with a discount for being at risk of remote disconnection, that might be considered a benefit to the consumer; otherwise, the only benefit is to the supplying organisation.

Some smart meters include an option to see what is going on via a local display unit; some don't. But in any case you can get a better idea from fitting your own unit,
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pinnks wrote: »
    I think I know what some of the answers are but it would be good to have in one place - and who knows, Mart may then be able to update FAQ 4c :rotfl::rotfl:

Oi Reservoir Dog wanna be, I'll have you know that 4c was only added in June, and is as thoroughly detailed as is possible ..... I think. :think:

I haven't got all day every day just to play around on the forums, well actually I have, but that's not the point. :drool:

Joking aside, I can't get my head around how there can be any kind of rollout, till someone decides on exactly what they must do, and standardises the kit. Till then it all seems a bit silly.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    :beer: Well that worked :beer: Actually, I only added the FAQ and then looked and found 4c just before I posted - didn't want you coming back pointing me at the FAQ :rotfl:

Interestingly Malc from E.On has just posted something quite interesting about where his firm is with smart (not) meters.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :beer: Well that worked :beer: Actually, I only added the FAQ and then looked and found 4c just before I posted - didn't want you coming back pointing me at the FAQ :rotfl:

Interestingly Malc from E.On has just posted something quite interesting about where his firm is with smart (not) meters.

I was quite pleased with 4c, it answered NacNac's request for a FAQ, whilst saying absolutely nothing, I could have been a [STRIKE]contender[/STRIKE] politician.

Yep I saw Malc's comment after I posted my silliness earlier. Seems that PV and smart meters (and export) is still as clear as mud.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thought I would reinvigorate this thread to see if we can get to the bottom of the smart meter "black box". Perhaps the likes of Malc from E.On or other supplier reps would care to give us the low-down.

As far as I can see there is no benefit to having a smart meter at all. All they seem to do is provide automatic meter reads - wow, that would save me at least 5 minutes every 3 months! They also provide real-time use figures but many people who would pay any attention to them have probably already bought something like the Owl or immerSUN or whatever they are all called.

So, what benefit is there to having a smart meter (hopefully someone can come up with something other than the hype in the media)?

Do they "work" with PV to give you import/export etc data (needs two CT clamps I think)?

What is the impact on export data. Some FiT providers seem to say you must use the export figures from the smart meter; other say you cannot. Why is there no consistency?

And, what is the benefit in real terms of holding out as long as possible for later models/standards etc?

Sorry for the late reply pinnks but been away recently. I've just popped a few comments on the other thread you mention. It's at the link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72860118#post72860118

Hope it's of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure