Qualified L3 nursery nurse - want to do babysitting part time / weekends ...

Not sure if this is the right thread , I didn't know where to put it.

Basically I work in the baby room of a nursery and have 7/almost 8 years of working with children.

I'm wanting to take up baby sitting as a side job, only working weekends and some nights, depending on my shifts ect.

I was just wondering if theres anything regarding if I have to make the government aware or if there was something I had to do to start this side job...

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is your employer content for this to develop?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Yeah, I will only ever do it out of work hours and weekends. It started as a parent of one of my key children asked me if I would baby sit for them.

I checked with my employer first and as long as the parents are aware that my baby sitting service has nothing to do with my day job and that the nursery Is not responsible for any disagreements etc that may arise.
    So like, the parent can't complain to the company if the parent didnt like how I baby sat for them.

A lot of staff has done this too regularly
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=lifeatthekings;76525286.

A lot of staff has done this too regularly[/QUOTE]

Easiest would be to just ask them what they did.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • They all just arrived , took care of them and left.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They all just arrived , took care of them and left.

LOL. I think they meant ask them what they did with regard to either setting up self employed as a business or just doing it cash in hand with nobody declaring anything.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Strictly speaking, any additional income should be declared. However, if it's just the occasional babysitting for £20 then I wouldn't bother.

If it's more regular, and you're going to advertise your services / have a formal babysitting 'business' etc, then you'll be both employed (by the nursery) and self employed (with your own business). You have to declare self employment income to HMRC, and you do this by calling them to let them know you are now self-employed. They'll then send you a self-assessment form to complete at the end of each tax year, where you declare your nursery and babysitting income, and will have to pay tax on the additional income you've had.

So for everything additional that you earn, you should put 30%ish aside, to cover National Insurance contributions and tax that you'll have to pay at the end of each tax year (assuming you're still in the 20% tax bracket). Depending on your self employment earnings you may be exempt from some NI contributions.

HTH.
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,926
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wouldn't the trading allowance allow the OP to earn up to £1000 in extra income?

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/self-employment/what-trading-allowance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport