Faulty Ebay purchase

Not sure if I'm on the right thread but I need advice.
My son bought a new pair of Chainsaw boots through a seller on eBay, after a few months they have split along a seam which is clearly a manufacturing fault. He contacted the manufacturer but they said he had to go back to the Ebay seller but the Ebay seller no longer has an account on Ebay.
The boots were not cheap and were brand new.
What we need to know is what is his next course of action?
Thank you

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    How much were they, and how did he pay?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,198 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ptlshooper wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm on the right thread but I need advice.
    My son bought a new pair of Chainsaw boots through a seller on eBay, after a few months they have split along a seam which is clearly a manufacturing fault. He contacted the manufacturer but they said he had to go back to the Ebay seller but the Ebay seller no longer has an account on Ebay.
    The boots were not cheap and were brand new.
    What we need to know is what is his next course of action?
    Thank you

It's far too late for ebay to be interested and whilst paypal have a 180 day window they don't offer warranties- so are unlikely to be interested in a SNAD claim.

If you have a physical geographic address of the business on ebay (and as a business this would have been on the original listing) you do have the ability to go to small claims. That assumes it was a genuine UK business and the boots are genuine - it also assumes that the business still exists to pursue. Even then you say 'a few months' are you talking under or over 6 months as that can make a difference.

Incidentally there is a dedicated ebay board (see my signature) if you approach the board guide on this board they can move this across for you
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • If all else fails it might be worth taking them to a good independent shoe repairer. My local one works wonders and for a very reasonable cost
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although your consumer rights are with the eBay vendor, if you are unable to contact them, I would suggest you again approach the manufacturer, they may offer a solution, especially as it appears to be a manufacturing fault. If they are a reputable company, one would expect them to acknowledge the fault. If not, then tell family, friends and social media that their products are not well made
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thank you for all your replies, I'm not sure of some of the information people have asked but I know the boots were bought less than 6 months ago. I would have assumed as lincroft1710 says that, as they are faulty, my son would be able to get some help from the manufacturer and I will advise him to contact them again. I thought items had to be fit for purpose and chainsaw boots should, if they're from a decent manufacturer, which these are, last for years. So I will get him to approach them again. Thank you for your help.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ptlshooper wrote: »
    I thought items had to be fit for purpose
    Yes, but if they're not then your legal remedies are against whoever sold them to you, not the manufacturer. So bear in mind that the manufacturer would only be assisting as a matter of goodwill.
  • Thank you davidmcn I hadn't entirely realised that and will certainly bear it in mind.
  • I would contact the manufacturer & speak to them nicely.
    Must be worth & phone call or an email especially if they are a reputable brand.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You have to also be aware there are not very many sellers on Ebay who are actually approved to sell their goods by manufactures.

Most sell what's called grey imports where they pick up job lots and stock from large wholesalers. it's very difficult to get a manufacture to agree to look at a product that didn't come from an approved seller.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure