Forced out due to fear of presentations

Options
12346»

Comments

• LittleMrsThrifty
    Options
    Some people are being very mean here. I deliver presentations to hundreds of people all the time and don't mind a bit - but I can completely understand that other people can't. It isn't a fear it is a phobia. Everyone here should consider their own and then ask what they would do if it were forced on them at work. E.g. If you're scared of spiders how would you feel if your boss insisted that his pet tarantula was to live on your desk.

To the original poster, there's no easy answer here and I am sorry it is so tough for you. I appreciate you feel you've tried everything but this fear will keep returning throughout your career and so it would be worth re-exploring everything. And try to go in open minded - if you don't believe it will work then it won't. I wouldn't send long emails to the CEO but I would wait until you next see your line manager one-to-one and explain the pressure this is causing you and asking if they can help. They obviously value you enough to give you the HR Manager role, so hopefully that means they value you enough to make adjustments for you to stay.

Good luck.
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
  • Greylocks
    Options
    Are you able to start giving mini presentations rather than “all or nothing”. In the past I did this to perhaps 3-4 people and built up to 10. Eventually to about 70 people. Starting small was very beneficial.
    For larger groups I always tried to engage with some of the audience before the main presentation - it helped a little. For larger groups all you see are a sea of heads anyway - if you wear glasses take them off: you will find it’s like talking to an empty room.
    I would urge you to do the presentations - you will feel accomplished afterwards.
    Good luck.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd write myself a script if I was that worried. Not notes, cue cards or whatever. A script.

With literally

Every.

Single.

Word

typed out, in 16pt typeface, double line spaced, on single sided paper.

Then simply read the words, click the powerpoint slides at the right moment, and answer any questions as if you're having a conversation with a single person who asked it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure