• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Open CMD and type ipconfig /all

In the list, find 'default gateway' and make a note of the ip address

Open a browser, and type in the address bar

http://ipaddress

Obviously substitute the word ipaddress for the one that you found next to 'default gateway'

The admin username and password should be written on the router somewhere

!!!!!! I think I'm going mad. I switched router off then back on again and laptop is connected. Obviously relieved, but no idea what the problem was or if/when its going to happen again!

The default username & password are written in the John Lewis set up booklet. However, they don't work
    If you factory reset it you might lose the details needed for it to connect to your service..

What did they have to change in there to 'solve your earlier problems' ?

If this is not a default set up then I suspect your issues are going to lurk in there somewhere

edit: why on earth would they change the admin creds ? that makes no sense to me

TBH I have no idea what they changed in the router to get me set up. All I know is the 2nd 'expert' couldn't get it to work & eventually spoke to JL tech support. I have no idea what he did. One engineer was here all morning, 2nd over 2 hours. Made no sense to me either. All I know is I can't now access router settings as either password or username or both, (default) are incorrect
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    OK I think that now it is determined that the OP is inaccurate, and it isn't the W10 update that has caused this - coupled with the fact that there were obviously some 'shenanigans' getting the thing set up and on top of that you don't even have the router creds , I think I have to bow out of this now and suggest you get them back in to continue their work of giving you a stable connection..

If it is kit that they have provided then I would suggest its down to them to get it to work for you and you shouldn't have to be resorting to internet forums :)
  • badger09
    OK I think that now it is determined that the OP is inaccurate, and it isn't the W10 update that has caused this - coupled with the fact that there were obviously some 'shenanigans' getting the thing set up and on top of that you don't even have the router creds , I think I have to bow out of this now and suggest you get them back in to continue their work of giving you a stable connection..

If it is kit that they have provided then I would suggest its down to them to get it to work for you and you shouldn't have to be resorting to internet forums :)

I agree this is a problem John Lewis need to sort out. They provided the new router, on advice from 1st engineer on earlier visit, who couldn't fix the BB issues. Then it took another visit from 2 of them to get it sorted.

But they haven't finally sorted it as I'm still having connection problems. I'll monitor it today but the next time it disconnects I'll phone them.

I usually hang out on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts and Savings & Investments fora. If I can return the favour - I owe you several hours.

Thank you again Andy
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whatever the router login details are you should know them or you should be told what they were by the engineer.
  • badger09
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Whatever the router login details are you should know them or you should be told what they were by the engineer.

Agreed.................
  • badger09
    Spoke too soon.

Going to phone them now
  • badger09
    Really couldn't make this up.

JL say their systems are down. She has promised to call back when they're up & running
  • badger09
    Paranoia is now setting in.

12.32 I phoned John Lewis and was told their systems were down. Promised a call back when up & running. Had that promise before & no callback.

14.11 I received a recorded SCAM message re missed call from ISP, would be disconnected in 24 hours. This happened once before after I'd been in contact with JL. We don't get many scam calls & don't usually answer unknown numbers.

14.49 I phoned JL again - system still down.
    15.15 got another identical SCAM call

Is this just a coincidence?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    Paranoia is now setting in.

12.32 I phoned John Lewis and was told their systems were down. Promised a call back when up & running. Had that promise before & no callback.

14.11 I received a recorded SCAM message re missed call from ISP, would be disconnected in 24 hours. This happened once before after I'd been in contact with JL. We don't get many scam calls & don't usually answer unknown numbers.

14.49 I phoned JL again - system still down.
    15.15 got another identical SCAM call

Is this just a coincidence?

Press the tiny reset button on the Router for fifteen seconds. You might need a pin or a toothpick in order to do so.
    Everything will be set to default and the details written on the Router should work once again.
    What is the model number of the Router?

This one? ; https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b10a-factory-reset/

This one? https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b30a-factory-reset/

Are you calling them on 0800 022 3300?
  • badger09
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Press the tiny reset button on the Router for fifteen seconds. You might need a pin or a toothpick in order to do so.
    Everything will be set to default and the details written on the Router should work once again.
    What is the model number of the Router?

This one? ; https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b10a-factory-reset/

This one? https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b30a-factory-reset/

Are you calling them on 0800 022 3300?

I did ask about a factory reset earlier but decided to speak to JL first.

Yes the first one is the model they sent

Yes 0800 022 3300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family