Amazon Prime

First, hopefully, this is on the right Forum
Now I am not sure if this affects just me or many.

It seems that every time I buy an item on Amazon, whether it is a 99p book for my kindle, or a £50 purchase, whatever, I am automatically forced to join Prime.
Three times this year, on checking my credit card bill, I find entries for Amazon Prime. Now I know this is 'only' £7.99 a month, but as I do not use Amazon enough to benefit from this, it is £96 a year out of a small pension. Every time I use the chat service, the agent agrees that I have not specifically ordered Prime and cancel the subscription, only to find it back on two months later.
I was told this time that it was due to a "systems error", and I would receive the full refund in 5-7 working days.
Is anyone else going through this ritual trauma?
Thanks

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I won’t buy off them because of that.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • I also object to the way Amazon often presents joining Prime as the default as I try to complete a purchase - it's verging on dishonest. There is always an option to proceed without Prime, but it's often far from obvious (de-emphasized with smaller font, confusing wording etc). I just take my time and make extra sure I haven't been caught out.

On the plus side I do get a form of revenge on Amazon: when they offer me a free trial (which they do from time to time) I take it, being very careful to cancel a couple of days before the first payment. This way I get a high speed delivery or two and get to watch some of the Amazon video content, all for free.
  • "I am automatically forced to join Prime."

I know there is an option to join but I have never been forced to join before buying anything.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nor me never ever forced to join Prime .
    Often its the user not looking at the delivery page .
    But when you do sign up to Prime by mistake or not you get an immediate email telling you so.
    Though i do take advantage of the FREE Prime delivery multiple times .
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    I also object to the way Amazon often presents joining Prime as the default as I try to complete a purchase - it's verging on dishonest. There is always an option to proceed without Prime, but it's often far from obvious (de-emphasized with smaller font, confusing wording etc). I just take my time and make extra sure I haven't been caught out.

On the plus side I do get a form of revenge on Amazon: when they offer me a free trial (which they do from time to time) I take it, being very careful to cancel a couple of days before the first payment. This way I get a high speed delivery or two and get to watch some of the Amazon video content, all for free.

No need to wait and potentially forget and miss the date, you can cancel the minute you've signed up for the free trial.
  • No need to wait and potentially forget and miss the date, you can cancel the minute you've signed up for the free trial.
    Good point - at present the benefits do continue until the official end of the trial, rather than abruptly stopping at the point of cancellation.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    To me it is like shopping in a supermarket and they drop something in your basket/trolley that you are not looking for or wanting. And hope you don’t notice at the checkout.

I would rather take my trade elsewhere.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    To me its like shopping in the supermarket and they offer to deliver your shopping with no charges .
    I have a majority of my trade with Amazon .
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You don't have to join, do you?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's like store shopping where someone searches the shelves for me. And parking is free and easy, on my own driveway.

The complications of town centre parking, cowboy parking enforcement schemes plus shop car parks being undersized with narrow bays keeps me away from bricks'n'mortar shopping these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure