Deliberate Deprivation

Options
2»

Comments

• sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But are you forgetting that some elderly people who need social care are still paying income tax? They have to pay the full amount of £15 an hour for pretty basic ("march in that direction and put your coat on if it starts raining") care, nowadays usually provided by private companies who often have less than good CQC ratings.
    In addition, they're paying Council Tax which includes a contribution to Adult Social Care.
    So it could easily be said that ,whilst paying the full whack for their own care, they're still subsidising the care of those who don't contribute.
    Self funded residents in care homes also pay a higher rate than councils pay because they can negotiate better rates. Same care though.
    A neighbour's parents are paying £5000 per month to live in a Residential Home.

This thread is 5 months old. Not entirely sure there was much point in bumping it.

However, seeing as it has been bumped, I wonder what happened with the OP. They mentioned drawing down on pension funds while being in receipt of benefit. Might be that there is income to be considered as well as deprivation of capital.

All depends on the exact nature of the pension I guess.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The OP made just one thread/post and never returned...happens a lot
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 November 2019 at 11:16PM
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    The OP made just one thread/post and never returned...happens a lot

It does.
    From the OP's details:
    "Last activity: 07-06-2019 9:40 AM"

She didn't return to look at any of the replies.
    So rather a waste of time and effort for everyone concerned, really.

I do find it annoying when I post detailed info for an OP who then never returns to their thread.

My other pet hates (as it were) are OP's who fail to clarify important questions.
    Not to mention supplying links which give the OP the exact info they need...only for them to ask questions later in the thread which shows they haven't bothered to click on and read said link.
    In fact I have quite a long list of moans....:mad:... :rotfl:
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    In fact I have quite a long list of moans....:mad:... :rotfl:

I am always puzzled by people who are able to navigate and post in the forum but appear not to be able to conduct a simple Internet search!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    I am always puzzled by people who are able to navigate and post in the forum but appear not to be able to conduct a simple Internet search!

Sometimes internet searches don’t provide any helpful information such as the deprivation of assets. Quite often people are looking for much more detailed info that requires a lot of experience to answer. A good example of this is on the Housing board.

There are lots of valid reasons why the internet doesn’t help
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Sometimes internet searches don’t provide any helpful information such as the deprivation of assets. Quite often people are looking for much more detailed info that requires a lot of experience to answer. A good example of this is on the Housing board.

There are lots of valid reasons why the internet doesn’t help

My comment was not aimed at this thread - it was a response to the note by Alice about more general things that frustrate her. There are some questions that appear on this forum which are very simple and for which the reply can easily be found.

I agree completely that deprivation of capital is complex - and treated differently for UC and legacy benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure