PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Viewing -AWKWARD!!

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I just ask 'is it ok to wander around on my own' never yet has anyone said no.

But equally I have not looked in wardrobes etc, if I wanted to and the house was occupied, I would ask the owner, 'is it ok if you open the wardrobes for me so I can see the layout / how deep they are' and leave it at that.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That's quite presumptuous and rude.
    It's the usual. When people say "With Respect", then you know full well whatever they are about to say has no respect. In the same way "Without meaning to be rude" you know they will be.

There are currently 394 3+ bed houses for sale within 40 miles of Glasgow (for instance).
    There are 2,353 within 40 miles of Newcastle.

Not everyone lives in the overpriced South of England.

I understand the joke, but... Where Beds/Bucks/Herts meet!

On a different note, I would consider a £100k house to be of a lower standard, even up north. Certainly for a 3 bed, I would expect the area to be less than desireable.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?
    What an odd thing to say. You can decrease the value of a house by 90% just by changing its location - how did there suddenly become less to see in a viewing?
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,802
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Niv wrote: »
    No its not 'standard'. I have only ever shown around a perspective buyer if the EA was not available. It was just part of their service.
    When we were housebuyng in west London we had both in equal measure
    some wanted to show us themselves and some disappeared and left the agent to it.
  • I would feel more awkward as the vendor if I was in the house but the agent was showing people round!!

I've always done the viewings myself - I know the house better, I know the best routes (eg better to go into the garden via the conservatory then have to walk past the bins at the back door...) and so on.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Funny story, viewing one property end of last year, male owner showing me around, swings open a wardrobe door to show a space where I assume his misses, had tried to hide her sex toys:rotfl:
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Funny story, viewing one property end of last year, male owner showing me around, swings open a wardrobe door to show a space where I assume his misses, had tried to hide her sex toys:rotfl:
    Maybe it was deliberate, and an invitation...?
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It is awkward. I've done a number of viewings without an estate agent. I always try to put people at ease and say this is really awkward, if I were you I would want to look in cupboards and under the stairs - I've got a few things to do in the garden, why don't you let me know when you are done. People appreciated that.

If the vendor does not offer, don't be frightened to say, do you mind if I walk round again on my own.
  • amieloustew
    amieloustew Posts: 57
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2019 at 10:18AM
    Comms69 wrote: »
    On a different note, I would consider a £100k house to be of a lower standard, even up north. Certainly for a 3 bed, I would expect the area to be less than desireable.

It is a 13 year old 2 bed flat in Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52714437
    First Time Buyer (Scotland)
    DIP 13/02/2020 ~ Offer Accepted 02/03/2020 ~ Full Application 19/3/2020 ~ Valuation Booked 19/03/2020 ~ Mortgage Offer Issued 20/03/2020 ~ Completed 15/05/2020
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,225
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I understand the joke, but... Where Beds/Bucks/Herts meet!

You really do come across as a bit of a knob!

There are plenty of very nice high quality houses to be had in the UK for £100k and not all of them will be in "less than desirable" areas.

Outside of the stupidly over priced southern regions housing is very affordable and of no lower quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure