TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• MUTTL
    MUTTL Posts: 484 Forumite
    Ok thank you.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tape, recordable DVD or memory stick, etc. etc.
  • Cornucopia
    IIUC the present advice from TV Licensing says that for streaming, the rule is that the Licence covers material that is parallel to a UK/CI-based broadcast.

So live streaming from the US or other countries is permitted.
    You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    IIUC the present advice from TV Licensing says that for streaming, the rule is that the Licence covers material that is parallel to a UK/CI-based broadcast.

So live streaming from the US or other countries is permitted.

Yet what I can see on the TVL website indicates you need a licence to stream from another country.....

"Do I need a TV Licence to watch satellite programmes broadcast from outside the UK or Channel Islands? Yes you do. You need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV, no matter where it is broadcast or distributed from. This includes satellite or online streamed programmes from outside the UK or Channel Islands, such as sporting events and foreign shows.
    Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service."
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Yes, they've messed about with that "rule" several times. No idea why, it must affect a tiny number of people.

My reading of the legislation is that the version I posted is correct. The rule is phrased in terms of content that is transmitted at or near to the same time to the public (which would be the public in the UK).

Particular care is required with streaming of live events like sport, where the same event (and even the same pictures) are carried by a UK operator, albeit with possibly different sound and graphics.
  • Hi. Can anyone help me with this please? I have been trawling for a direct answer!. . .Basically, I do not watch live tv as it is broadcast, due to hours of work - I NEVER watch it live OR record it as it is live. I simply only use my Virgin service for catch up tv and listening to radio (not bbc ones either.) What the hell happens when you try and tell tv licensing that this is the case? Do they believe you? What happens? I had no idea you only needed the licence if it was watched or recorded live! Please help with regards to what i need to do/what happens. It is really unfair as I can't afford it at all and have more pressing bills E.G Council Tax. Many thanks for any help
  • Cornucopia
    Virgin & Sky aren't ideal platforms for being legally licence free.

There's no need to tell them in detail why you don't need a licence - just say you never watch or record TV broadcasts .

Be aware that the rules on catch-up are probably going to become tighter in the near future.
  • If we only watch tv threw the Amazon prime fire stick am I still eligable to pay for a licence or would I be excempt
  • squeeks
    squeeks Posts: 309 Forumite
    Zoriggers wrote: »
    If we only watch tv threw the Amazon prime fire stick am I still eligable to pay for a licence or would I be excempt

As long as you aren't watching a live broadcast you are exempt - Amazon prime, netflix, 4oD, bbc iPlayer catchup service etc... are all on demand services and don't require a TV licence.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We moved into a house in March and so far haven't had anything from TV licensing, I am sure its coming though, eventually.

We watch catch up tv on netflix and on our android box mostly, but i do watch a bit of footy it has to be said!

I dont want to pay for the BBC's rubbish :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback