We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,689 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :rotfl: pyxis :rotfl:

They certainly were critiquing today - we shut them back in the run cos we had to go out and have only just got back :eek: they were NOT impressed :eek: :o :rotfl: in fact I just went to shut the door on their little house and found one on the perch with her bottom defiantly facing the door as I looked in :rotfl:
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 May 2019 at 3:45AM
    New fencing going really well here I am chuffed to say. Still not sleeping well though :mad: Still awake at silly-o-clock :(

We are that pleased with it that we have asked them if they could replace the fences down by the house too. Swallowing up a bit of savings doing down here as well but it will be safer for Pingu and Hoppy because we have identified that this is one area where the fox is gaining entry. There are four areas down by the house and another a little further back that he/she was using to get in. All of those areas have very high netting now but higher fencing would be better in the long run so we have decided to take the plunge and get it done. Will still use netting over the top but not have so much of it on show. The fox has loosened two sections of fence to the left by repeatedly clambering over it. We have supported it but there is only so much we can do to secure it so changing the fencing altogether with larger fence posts will be money well spent and certainly makes sense.

All this new fencing will give us peace of mind that we have done all we can to stop it coming in again, so will be worth it when it is all done. Still have a lot of netting to do backing on to the woods and around that area though but we are now waiting for it to be delivered so can't get started on that area yet.

Getting there now, slowly :)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    edited 24 May 2019 at 1:03PM
    First lot of new fencing is complete. Looks good I must say and the height although not massively higher it is still higher than what it was originally. We installed the original fencing when we moved in 10 years ago so it still had a lot of life left in it but higher fencing definitely makes sense. There was nothing wrong with the old fencing, no gaps or holes or slats missing but it was just not as high as we are permitted to go. I was apprehensive of getting it changed as we didn't want gaps left in the fencing overnight but the fencers have temporarily closed up any gaps so Pingu and Hoppy would be safe at night.

Pingu and Hoppy have enjoyed a lot of time out of the coop this week because there is a lot of movement people wise so the fox shouldn't attempt to climb over during the day. Pingu was nervous initially but I encouraged her to walk past the fencers and slowly but surely she was happy to walk around them, bless her. I had to do it several times first before she would follow me but we got there in the end. She is the cutest duck ever and the fencers are really fascinated by her.

I opened the coop door and encouraged her to the entrance and she just stood there and poked her head out and went back in, it was so cute and funny. So we had another go and this time she stepped out but again when back in. It was so warming to see the fencers stop hammering and banging to wait for her to eventually fully come out and follow me to the pond. Yesterday she walked amongst them and followed me to the allotment area several times as we have started to get the bases ready in preparation to move the greenhouses. Now Pingu and Hoppy will happily swim in the pond and hardly take any notice of the men. They were nervous at the beginning of the week but they soon relaxed around them. Obviously our presence out there too helps them to relax.

So all in all its been a good week here and the new fencing looks really nice and very secure. They have started the lower half by the house today and say that will be finished by end of next week at the latest.

Will get some pics on here as have been taking some throughout the week. Not that fences are much to look at but all the talk of fences at least deserves some pics me thinks :D

Thank you for your on going support by reading my posts everyone. It is so nice and heart warming that you are interested enough to pop on to our hen thread and thank me for my waffling fencing posts :)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds adorable, Edwink! The fencers obviously think so too :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,689 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ha, it's amazing how quickly they get used to things isn't it? Ours were SO hesitant the first time we (stupidly) let them into the house. Now we open the back door and a big feathery wave ascends over the doorstep :rotfl: :rotfl: Mr Cheery just let Rusty and Beaky in (the others were off causing mischief elsewhere no doubt) and they came straight into my study, talking loudly to each other, clambering on the sofa, hopping up onto the windowsill, pecking at the pot plant (not to their liking), standing on my library books :eek: and generally marauding round the place. No sense of hesitancy at all! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lots of chicken sunbathing going on today :j

So pleased your fence is finally going up edwink! What a relief! :j
  • edwink
    edited 24 May 2019 at 9:58PM
    Ha, it's amazing how quickly they get used to things isn't it? Ours were SO hesitant the first time we (stupidly) let them into the house. Now we open the back door and a big feathery wave ascends over the doorstep :rotfl: :rotfl: M
    Lots of chicken sunbathing going on today :j
    So pleased your fence is finally going up edwink! What a relief! :j

Aww I do like to see them sunbathing Cheery. They do it without a care in the world and spread their wings, stick one foot out and lay on their sides with their eyes closed. I used to stroke my hens when they did that and was surprised at how hot they got from the sun but they didn't mind and loved the warmth on their little bodies.

Yes definitely a relief getting the fencing done because not only do we have gaps in really high hedges the fox has loosened 6 of the posts in other places too. Hubby saw him and reckons he is about 5-6 stone going by the weight and size of a Boxer dog we rescued some years ago. As he is clambering up and leaping over he is pushing on the slats and pushing them back so gradually the posts holding them upright are getting looser and looser. This is why we thought ok we will bite the bullet so to speak and get more done at the same time. Spent savings of £5k in the process but we don't mind as Pingu and Hoppys safety is paramount to us. Plus it will be safer when I get my new hens. We have taken the height up to 6ft 6" and across near the woods it is higher still at 7ft. Our fences have been 6ft for 10 years with no problems until the attack in March :(

Whilst waiting for the fencing to be done we have been offered some hens from someone who doesn't want to keep them anymore and also 3 days ago we were asked to take in some hens and a Cockerel because they were not wanted either. Just can't introduce them at the moment as the pecking order will start all over again and we are a little concerned about Pingu and Hoppy because of their age. Pingu is ok but Hoppy is rather frail now although the same age is Pingu. But, we will have an awful dilemma when one of those finally goes because it would be really sad for the one that is left on their own which we don't want to happen. Not sure how to deal with this at the moment but I think there is too much going on to make our minds up just now and the fences are not finished yet anyway. I suppose I am just thinking ahead.

I really miss the hens and like yours mine were allowed indoors too. Must dig out the pic of Langley fast a sleep on our chest of drawers in the kitchen, bless her. When she first came to live with us we were all nattering in the kitchen so she hopped up from the floor to the Welsh dresser and then leaped from there to on top of the chest of drawers as it was the highest item of furniture in the room. She settled down, tucked her head and her wings in and fell a sleep. We carried her up to the coop and put her in the hens hotel whilst they were sleeping as introducing just one on their own is not easy for them. As they all slept together that night there were only a few scuffles the following day. She is no longer with us now but she was a super little hen. She was the one that survived the fox attack that killed 16 of her feathered friends several years ago. Not here but she belonged to one of my hubbies work colleagues.

Edwink
  • SisterAnna
    SisterAnna Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 May 2019 at 12:10AM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That sounds adorable, Edwink! The fencers obviously think so too :)

I thought the same when I caught up with the posts on here tonight. Absolutely adorable Edwink.

I love reading your posts on here Edwink and Cheery Daffs too. Both of you are devoted to your feathered friends and should give yourselves a pat on the back for all you do to give them new homes.

Would love to see your picture of Langley Edwink. Awww I bet she looks so comfy and so sweet.

I don't post on here much as am another with no feathered friends (as Edwink calls them) but I find this thread so lovely to read. Never any cross words or arguments but just lovely stories from you both Edwink and Cheery Daff..

Cheery Daff, I have always wondered if you chose your username because you like Daffodils. Not being nosey just interested because I think it is such a nice username.

SisterAnna
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 May 2019 at 7:28AM
    edwink wrote: »

Will get some pics on here as have been taking some throughout the week. Not that fences are much to look at but all the talk of fences at least deserves some pics me thinks :D

Thank you for your on going support by reading my posts everyone. It is so nice and heart warming that you are interested enough to pop on to our hen thread and thank me for my waffling fencing posts :)

Edwink

Don't be so defencive, (sic), Edwink! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Actually, thinking about how much that fencing is costing, and all for the sake of a few feathered friends, I think you should train them to lay golden eggs, don't you? :rotfl:
    Are there any really tall beanstalks in the vicinity? :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edited 26 May 2019 at 2:09PM
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about how much that fencing is costing, and all for the sake of a few feathered friends, I think you should train them to lay golden eggs, don't you? :rotfl:
    Are there any really tall beanstalks in the vicinity? :rotfl:

No, no beanstalks Pyxis unfortunately. Talking of eggs Pingu is not laying at the moment and Hoppy is only laying a couple a week now. At 8 years old they won't lay many now, bless them. Pingu has laid the odd one here and there but nothing for the past month or so. We don't mind as it gives their bodies a rest.

Finished mapping out the 3 greenhouse bases this morning which is a job well done and a job out of the way. Fencers are back tomorrow even though it is Bank Holiday to carry on from where they left of on Friday. We think 2 more days possibly for fences or maybe three and then they are sorting the permanent bases for the greenhouses. We are using breeze blocks rather than bricks this time as the bricks we used 10 years ago are crumbling now. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday we will remove the glass or should I say hubby will. I don't ever touch greenhouse glass around here because of the balance issues I have with my Meniere's Disease, best I leave that job to someone who can carry the glass and walk in a straight line at the same time. Honestly it feels like I'm drunk sometimes even though I don't even drink alcohol. Hubby says that I am a cheap to take out, blooming cheek :D :rotfl:

Hope everyone is ok and their feathered friends too. I do miss all of mine every day especially my dear little man but I'm picking myself up and am currently dusting myself off ready for my new feathered friends.

Edwink
  • edwink
    SisterAnna wrote: »

Would love to see your picture of Langley Edwink. Awww I bet she looks so comfy and so sweet.

SisterAnna

little-Langley-011.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback