TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I've just received my 115th letter from TVL, and you've got to admire their optimism, after I've ignored the previous 114 letters. :laugh:

You actually waste time opening and reading these letters....:rotfl:

Myself,I just stack the letters unopened by the door ready to hand to a TVL representitive should one call... Presumptous little !!!!!!s referring to themselfs as "officers".. As if that confers any greater powers on them.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Actually, I was referring to the fact that more than five in six don't require a licence, so the default presumption should be one of innocence, since that is, by far, the majority state.
    Yes, I understand that, but I was just wondering if the whole process of chasing people is then cost effective.
    Cornucopia's figures seem to suggest even more so that they're not.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Myself,I just stack the letters unopened by the door ready to hand to a TVL representitive should one call...

You actually waste time and space keeping them?!:D On the vague off-chance they might visit? "Will you be in on the 17th October?" Well, I've been in pretty well every time they've said they'll be calling, which is now, 7/8/9 times perhaps for that particular version of their letters.

Now that my wood-burning stove season is over I may get an accumulation in the log basket. Having 'The Legal Occupier" as the addressee certainly makes it a swift process for disposal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You actually waste time opening and reading these letters....:rotfl:

I do more than that.

I keep them in a file folder, so that, when I'm feeling down, I can have a read through them and cheer myself up. :)

I recall all the nice things I've bought, with that £1308.
  • Temi17
    Options
    Can I buy a tv only to stream Netflix?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Temi17 wrote: »
    Can I buy a tv only to stream Netflix?

If you need to!

If you mean "I only watch Netflix, do I need a TV license" the answer is no, you don't.

Watch Netflix, Now TV box sets, Amazon Video, ITV Hub, 4OD etc etc to your heart's content.

Just dont watch live TV programmes or iPlayer, and you don't need a license.
  • Ego_Shredder
    Options
    I've so far not bothered to fill out and submit the online form, to say I do not need a licence. The letters keep coming and the threat of court action etc. So should I bother with the online declaration or not? Meanwhile the TV sits in the room, switched off and silent and never to flicker to life ever again. The Virgin Media box is unplugged and propped against the wall. The roof still has no replacement aerial installed, for the one taken down in 2011.

Life without the BBC and TV in general is the way to be :beer:
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 April 2019 at 8:21AM
    Options
    I've so far not bothered to fill out and submit the online form, to say I do not need a licence. The letters keep coming and the threat of court action etc. So should I bother with the online declaration or not?
    Unfortunately, there's no definitive answer that, because completing the form and not completing each have their own set of pros and cons.

On the plus side (in favour of completing the form):-

- It should stop the letters, for up to 24 months (but there are other ways of achieving this, if the letters bother you (and they may not)).

- It may make them approach you differently should they ever visit (but makes no difference to the advice never to speak with them at your home).

On the minus side:-

- They say they may still visit you "to check" (that you aren't lying).

- You may not want to comply with their wishes on a point of principle (and you do not have to). Their entire "letters gambit" is something of an act of blackmail - comply with our wishes, or we will keep writing to you until you do.

- You do not want to provide any information that they might subsequently use to more effectively harass you. (You could use a slightly false name, which has some advantage).

As a third way, you could ask them what they plan to do with any information you give them. This is essentially a right under the Data Protection Act. This could be the opening to a formal complaint about misuse of personal data with the Information Commissioner.

...The Virgin Media box is unplugged and propped against the wall...
    Sometimes people ask for advice on being Legally Licence-Free whilst they still have their Sky or VM Pay TV contracts in place (but unused). This is a bad idea.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    - You do not want to provide any information that they might subsequently use to more effectively harass you. (You could use a slightly false name, which has some advantage).

Would they accept the name "The Legal Occupier" ?
    It is whom they address all their missives to that land on my doormat, and it has crossed my mind to register no licence required using that title. I have my doubts it will change anything, so haven't bothered.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 April 2019 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Would they accept the name "The Legal Occupier" ?
    It is whom they address all their missives to that land on my doormat, and it has crossed my mind to register no licence required using that title. I have my doubts it will change anything, so haven't bothered.

The process is automated, so I doubt it would throw it out. The fields are structured only for initials and surname, so you'd have to format "The Legal Occupier" accordingly, and the further you get from that actual text, the less chance there is for them to reject it. So maybe "T. Legal-Occupier" might do the trick.

Also, the Title field has a drop-down list with many tempting options. I think I might go for "Lord TV Licence". :)

In case anyone is wondering, this information is not requested by TVL on a statutory basis, and it is not an offence (or a contractual breach) to provide "incorrect" information to them unless the intention is criminal fraud.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback