Chargeback Payment Protection advice please

About to sign contact & pay deposit for new kitchen to local independent company, I’m researching what payment protection is available in the hopefully unlikely circumstance that the company goes bust.
As the total cost is more than £30k 😱, section 75 CCA is not applicable. Section 75a would involve taking out a specific loan for the kitchen.
Chargeback on Visa credit or Visa debit seems to apply, but a refund is not guaranteed. I’ve tried reading the Visa scheme rules for reassurance but found it hard going!

Any advice please, to avoid sleepless nights? Would Visa credit offer any more protection than Visa debit?

Comments

• You have answered your own question as your kitchen is over £30k then there is no S75 cover by using your credit card.
    The best way to proceed IMO is to pay a small deposit upfront then pay at the end; the balance owing.
    If the company get awkward with you - explain your concerns they may take stage payments as things slot into place - if they are really awkward consider walking away!

(Note - by doing stage payments you still won't be covered by S75)
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,428
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why not split the £30k+ into 2 payments ?

I presume this is like any significant kitchen project in that it is for 3 (maybe 4?) distinct components ...

... namely APPLIANCES, UNITS, INSTALLATION (& BUILDING WORK?)

Why not BUY (OUTRIGHT) all the appliances separately from the rest ?

Would purchasing the Oven(s), Hob, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, Dishwasher, Extractor Unit/Hood and any other "similar" items you require (even add in the Sink(s), Taps, Waste Disposal Unit? etc.) reduce the remainder to under £30k ?
    AND wouldn't this put your mind at ease regards the protection you desire?
    Could you take delivery of the appliances ahead of the project commencing? Store them for a short period in the garage ?

IF they don't turn up then don't proceed with "part 2" and use S75 to cover your loss.

IF they all arrive to your satisfaction but "part 2" goes wrong then presuming you still want the kitchen as planned then the appliances will not go to waste, you just need someone else to install them
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport