Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• Chris_bay
    Chris_bay Posts: 9
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2017 at 11:03AM
    If you are already a Powershop customer check out their latest Future deals.

Normally there is only one per month for the next three months.

However I just bought 5 (maximum) deals for October at 23.5% off

I also bought some for July 12.8% August 13.6% and September 14.5%.

The October deal is clearly the best option. buy 65.35 pounds worth for 50 pounds and save 15.35 pounds
  • malc23
    malc23 Posts: 2 Newbie
    ive just recently switched to powershop and got the same deals as you did above however the months are out by 1, mine is november pack for 23.5% offoctober pack for 14,5% etc

Questions are
    my june pack is only 7.2%, do i buy that or wait till later (i am not fully pre purchased yet for that month), and my august pack is 12.8%, i have bought 2 already for august but should i buy anymore of the 12.8% , 13.6% for september, 14.5% for october? will the deal for december be like the november packs?
  • Chris_bay
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2017 at 11:34AM
    Months
    This is confusing but the months are as I stated. My October month is from 4th October to 2nd November. For me that is October but Powershop call it November. I believe that the precise starting dates depend on when you start with Powershop.

As to what to buy
    You can see your expected spend for each month and you need to judge if that is correct.

For June you will get two main discounted packs. The Appetiser 28% and the Jumbo 7.2%. Buy both.

For the Future months definitely buy as much as you can of October (November) at 23.5% Great saving,

For the other Future months if your spend is over 50 pounds per month then buy all five (maximum) options for each month. My thinking is that the normal monthly discount Appetiser Powerpack comes every month and will not cover you for all of your spend. The Jumbo is only 7.2 % which is a lot less than the Future Powerpacks. So you make the most saving by buying all of the Future Powerpacks.

Once bought this credit stays on your account even if you do not use the energy so you lose nothing. Even if you buy too much in June then this simply rolls over into July

Last month (my first with Powershop ) they only offered one Future Powerpack a month. This time they are offering five. I say take advantage.

You should still review and take advantage of any specials that come along in the month as the saving can be very good.

Let us know how you got on.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 June 2017 at 10:47AM
    Chris_bay wrote: »
    If you are already a Powershop customer check out their latest Future deals.

Normally there is only one per month for the next three months.

However I just bought 5 (maximum) deals for October at 23.5% off

I also bought some for July 12.8% August 13.6% and September 14.5%.

The October deal is clearly the best option. buy 65.35 pounds worth for 50 pounds and save 15.35 pounds

I have been following the discussion on this and find it an interesting concept, knowing how much electric we tend to use each month and can estimate our usage a few months ahead (based on last years use). However, at the moment we are on a good deal, so even with the discounted packs, it would work out more expensive than what we are currently paying. But when that fixed tariff finishes, it may be worth switching to Powershop. Just a few questions based on your actual experience:

1. How far in advance can you buy the powerpacks? The FAQ's appear to indicate 3 months, but posts here seem to indicate further in advance.
    2. Do Powerpacks you buy in advance only start from the stated month onwards? For example, you buy five packs for October; so you can only start using them in October?
    3. Is the disount off the unit rate or standing charge or both?
    4. If we estimate we are going to use about 150kWh is November, could we buy a matching Powerpack, or do you have to buy more (or less & top it up) and let the excess run over to the following months?
  • malc23
    malc23 Posts: 2 Newbie
    hi i was just on the gb energy ruby tariff and that was coming to and end so i decided to switch as this was just a little bit more expensive if i utilize the full discount powerpacks. granted the first month it wasnt a big saving on the standard 13.55p a unit, but now with my purchases it will go to close to the 10.8p a unit now, more so for the september onwards as they were the biggest savings.

2) as far as i can see they powerpacks start from the billing period of which its bought under. mine is from 9th of the month to the 8th of each month. I bough all 5 "november" powerpacks which is for bill period 10th oct to 8th nov, and the ones that would be extra over mu usage have gone on to my next billing month period. I did the same for "october" packs and they have paid for period 9th sept to 9th oct, and the remaining have carried over to 8th december billing period. From what i can gather the packs pay for the usage from the billing period its bought under and future ones.

3) through asumption its of the whole amount, but from website its the unit rate,

4) if you know how much usage your going to use then you can buy the powerpacks to cover it 150kwh would be about £24 ish on there normal tariff so you buy powerpacks to cover that amount (which probably would be two £10 ones ) and the remaining funds carry over. If you dont buy enough for that month they will automatically charge the rest at the normal unit rate so your always better to buy more than you need id say and let the discount rate carry over to next month, if its just a small amount you could let them do it.

At any point when you leave you will get the funds credited back to you like you normally would.

Good thing is that i bought a power pack for a few months ahead and the next day i cancelled that pack and they refunded it back to my powershop account as a credit to buy a future pack.

Each time you add a meter reading the app updates itself immediately saying how much you using roughly per day, helping to plan ahead i guess.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Forumite
    malc23 wrote: »
    3) through asumption its of the whole amount, but from website its the unit rate,

Each time you add a meter reading the app updates itself immediately saying how much you using roughly per day, helping to plan ahead i guess.

Thanks for answers to the above. On Q & A3, when you buy a Powerpack, does it tell you how many kWh you get for the payment (so you can work out the discounted unit rate) and how many days of standing charge at a fixed rate?
    For example, would a 23% discounted £20 Electric Powerpack for say, November = (30 days SC @ 15p/day = £4.50) + (155kWh @10p/kWh = £15.50) instead of a standard rate £24.65 Powerpack (with no discount) = (30 days SC @ 15p/day = £4.50) + (155kWh @ 13p/kWh = £20.15) ?
    (Figures above just rounded for ease of calculation)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Forumite
    Is anyone else signed up to Powershop that can give feedback on it?
  • Chris_bay
    Forumite
    Thought it might be easier to actually see the screen. However I am a new user so I cannot post with links just add https at the front

Example monthly Powerpacks

//img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/25169/25169102604c888f97f113d08780849f3d773b69.png

Future Powerpacks
    ://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/25169/25169103df938419c3ff6d95cd193dde0fc68d3a.png

The day rate is based on my average usage.
  • Chris_bay
    Forumite
    1. If you pay too much (I have as my consumption has come down 45%) then the extra can either be refunded or in my case covers all of my power for the next 24 weeks. Happy to take the discount which saves more that I would have made if the money was in a savings account.

2. They tailor the size (not the percentage discount) of the Powerpacks to meet your expected usage so that you get the 20% reduction but not more.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is anyone else signed up to Powershop that can give feedback on it?

Not signed up but compared to Scottish Power PowerUp which is a similar service to Powershop buying energy in advance through a mobile app.

Based on quotes for electricity only, Eastern region, 1188 kWh p.a. PowerUp was cheaper but only by £1.74p p.a. PowerUp from Scottish Power appears to be particularly relevant for low users since on the quote I received the Standing Charge is nil.

The reason I did the comparison is that I'm already with Scottish Power on the Online Fixed April 2018 tariff and finding buying energy in advance through a mobile app attractive. A waste of time me switching to Powershop and might as well stick with Scottish Power.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback