PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2012 at 3:08PM
    Possession wrote: »
    You can also freeze pancakes, if you put greaseproof paper between them.

.... And you can make lasagne from them!!

Today has been such a revelation for me after reading the posts today:T. Love learning new thrifty tips!!!!

Here is my effort at the afore mentioned recipe:

photo-70.jpg?t=1336999444

I have a large quantity of lasagne sheets to use up but will definitely be using the pancake version next time.

The lentils were yum. Can't wait to try it.......
    photo-71.jpg?t=1337003902
    I made one for now and one for the freezer.

Edit:
    I have now tried it.
    Verdict: nom:D
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2012 at 3:10PM
    I did it, I am so pleased with myself. Just £15.05 spent and that is DS's bday food and lot's of potatoes and fruits.
    I got a large chorizio so I will make a stew with the rest at some point. I don't think I have ever spent so little in 3 supermarkets :) That takes me to £196.96 out of £400 budget.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Jumble jack they look so nice :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • valerie57
    valerie57 Posts: 140 Forumite
    £3.20 on fruit and veg in our covered market. For that I got 8 pears, 8 big oranges, 3 punnets of cherry tomatoes and 2 little gem lettuces. I have tried a pear and an orange and they were both gorgeous. On the way back home I got a free coffee and two samples to bring away with me. All very MSE. Frugality is required because I have spent about 2/3 of our budget and am not yet half way through the month. But the cupboards are stocked to overflowing so I am confident. Thanks for all the pics and tips. I am going to give the lasagne a go next week. Off to update signature now.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,858 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £25.52 spent in MrT today. This included !ams dog food, 3kg on offer for £7 instead of the usual £10.49. I also had a £1 off coupon. As it was the first item through the till I noticed that it went through at full price. The supervisor checked the shelf ticket and the offer runs until tomorrow, but I wonder how many other people have been ripped off today :(

Total also included a box file for £2 and a stationery set of 2 x ring binders, refill pad, hard backed notebook, block notepad and pen pot for £1. HTH anyone needing bits for uni/college/school.

They also have El Pa$o dinner kits at £1.61 half price so I got 2 enchilada ones :D

Off to update my sig.
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Jumblejacks that lasagne looks delicious. You've reminded me I'm sure there's some value lasagne sheets stashed away in the pantry somewhere - it's so overwhelming that we haven't inventoried in there yet.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Just an afterthought....

I bet you could use tortillas or flat breads too instead of pancakes in a lasagne!!!!
    Hmmm, *scratches chin thoughtfully*. I am sure I have some in the freezer.

I have 4 big courgettes to use up in the salad box so I am now open to suggestions on thrifty recipes or else I am banging em into a curry. ;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Possession wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm the same....unfortunate because I have more than 200 cookbooks and I still cook the same old thing! For various reasons I have more time now so I'm going to be sure to try some new things out. I am making a menu plan but I don't like to go too far in advance so just doing this week at the moment. Any more than that and it starts to make me feel rather constrained.

I'm the same with cookbooks!! I also have at least 200 - how many recipes have I cooked from them? Yet I still trawl the net for more!! OCD!!
    Soworried wrote: »
    It is my sons bday tomorrow so I will be spending today but hope to stick to just what I need. He wants HM pizza for his tea so I need to pick up some chorizio as it is his favourite topping. I'll also need to get some fruit and potatoes.

I would cry if I broke my oven door so hugs to you Elizabunny x

I'll report my spend later. Hopefully small.
    Soworried wrote: »
    I did it, I am so pleased with myself. Just £15.05 spent and that is DS's bday food and lot's of potatoes and fruits.
    I got a large chorizio so I will make a stew with the rest at some point. I don't think I have ever spent so little in 3 supermarkets :) That takes me to £196.96 out of £400 budget.

WELL DONE!! :T:T
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Roasting them for a pasta dish? My son adores roasted/fried courgettes so they wouldn't get much further than that in this house LOL. You could stuff them to make them stretch to a full meal, or make a tempura from them....
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Just an afterthought....

I bet you could use tortillas or flat breads too instead of pancakes in a lasagne!!!!

I have 4 big courgettes to use up in the salad box so I am now open to suggestions on thrifty recipes or else I am banging em into a curry. ;)
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Just an afterthought....

jumblejack, in nigellas unusual version of lasagne, 'mexican lasagne'.
    She uses tortillas instead of lasagne sheets. Its a really yummy recipe too, if you like beans and stuff:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/MEXICAN-LASAGNE-WITH-AVOCADO-SALSA--5315

Quite cheap to make, and i can tell you its really tasty!! i used a bit less chillies though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure