MSE News: No pay rise for most workers

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Only one in four workers have had a pay rise this year, with most seeing their wages frozen, new research revealed today ..."
Read the full story:
No pay rise for most workers

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Kushan
    Kushan Posts: 72
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know that the people who work in Virgin Media's onshore call centres haven't had a single pay rise in 9 years, so things can be worse.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    catch up at he back,

no pay rises have been going on for years
  • BettySpofkins
    BettySpofkins Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2011 at 10:04AM
    You can't simply have your pay cut, it's illegal. There must be more to this than we're being told.

[Edit] But generally, I agree. In my game you typically have to move between companies to get a payrise. You can make a lot more money if you do that, but it probably wouldn't be reflected in the stats here, of course.

Either way, many employers are completely ignorant of the cost of replacing good staff, so neglect salary reviews, which is a complete false economy. Very few employers are enlightened in that respect, but a small handful are.
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Due to working on commission my annual wage has dropped by 20% in the last two years, from around £20k to around £16k.

That, combined with big increases in the cost of living means I've gone from being fairly comfortable to really struggling to make ends meet.

Still, it's not forever (I hope)!
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We havent had any pay increments for 3 years.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    ....unless you are in the public sector which has had wage rises since records began. Of course they'll bleat on about the years they didn't get any but what they mean is "cost of living" whereas the private sector means "earning the same amount".
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2011 at 12:40PM
    catch up at he back,

no pay rises have been going on for years

i would of had 1 at my last job but the owner was an !!! and never got round to giving my rise
  • avasgranny
    avasgranny Posts: 13 Forumite
    Hubby and son both had their hours and wages (obv) cut 3 years ago. Were given notice on the sat it was happening the next day! Indeed it did. Overnight we lost twenty per cent of hubbys wages. Totally threw us into financial desperation and ended up nearly losing our house. Anyway since then no hours increased and certainly no pay rises but the boss loves to boast about how the profits are up as he turns up to work in another brand new car or books their fifth foreign holiday of the year! Swine!
  • relic
    relic Posts: 2,153 Forumite
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Hubby and son both had their hours and wages (obv) cut 3 years ago. Were given notice on the sat it was happening the next day! Indeed it did. Overnight we lost twenty per cent of hubbys wages. Totally threw us into financial desperation and ended up nearly losing our house. Anyway since then no hours increased and certainly no pay rises but the boss loves to boast about how the profits are up as he turns up to work in another brand new car or books their fifth foreign holiday of the year! Swine!

Get another job then.
    Per Mare Per Terram
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Since returning to work in 2005 I have had NO pay rises. As a temp I was stuck on £7 ph for 3 years (in various different temp jobs) and in my permanent job no pay rise for 3 years though we have had a flat rate bonus which was of more value to those (like me) at the bottom of the pay scale.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure