EON Smart Meters

Comments

• As I understand it the T&C for Fix Online never obligated customers into having a smart meter.

Nevertheless some months ago I got this letter which is clearly misleading.

It seems nothing has changed.

mUEDa4S.jpg
  • Halifax_sux
    Halifax_sux Posts: 180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2019 at 9:35AM
    I hope no-one minds me jumping on this thread ...

Background

I was with EverSmart with a “smart” meter. I had stacks of problems. Every time I asked them anything they “re-imagined” their invoices – usually ALL of them (I have 4 or 5 for almost every month). They’ve "gone" … well, something. The regulator has moved me to utilita about a month ago. I had a welcome pack; registered on their web site but I've not had any reply to an email I sent on day one and a further two messages I've sent since. TBA, I've had enough and your Cheap Energy Club emailed to say I should switch …

Today

I started the switching process to E.On – even though the utilita welcome pack said I shouldn’t.

Questions:

Will E.On use my probably v1 smart meter?

Everything I can find about reading a smart GAS meter says it has 6 numbers. Mine only has five & no decimal point (after the “VOLUME”). Yet all of my bills from Eversmart showed a decimal point in the reading – even though everything says to IGNORE after the decimal. Duh?
    Clarification needed please.

The numbers on dumb meters were far easier to read than the poor quality, must get the light right, no reflection, etc, displays on so called smart meters. PLUS, it was permanently displayed! No pressing buttons, catching it before it disappears hoping that cloud won’t moved …
    Why can’t readings be taken indoors? That display thing must know the real-time readings to calculate costs, etc.

Furthermore, why can’t suppliers ping the indoor unit saying they have just taken a reading for a bill?

Frankly, it looks to me as if someone has decided to get the most expensive option and then use almost none of its abilities. Although I can’t think why anyone might want to do that.
    Switzerland has Dignitasthe UK has DCA's, Bankers and Lawyers.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    David_e wrote: »
    Malc,

I'd applied for the "Fix Online Exclusive v11" tariff.

I received an email this morning saying:

"We'll be in touch to check your home is suitable to fit smart meters. If it is, we'll book you an appointment and once fitted, we'll leave you with an in-home display so you can take control of the energy you're using."

I don't have smart meters and I don't want them.

I rang the helpline who said that smart meters were mandatory on this tariff.

Please can you clarify as, if they are mandatory, I'll just cancel the switch.

Thanks

Hello David_e and many thanks for switching to us.

With Fix Online Exclusive v11, you've only agreed to be contacted about smart meters. These meters are optional and you can turn down our offers to fit them whilst staying on the tariff. The relevant T&C is section 11.1 which says the following.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

Earlier in the year we had products on sale that did require smart meters fitting as part of the tariff terms. We've since changed this policy for later Fix Online tariffs and introduced the term above. This is what you've agreed to.

Regrettably, the messaging hasn't caught up with the tariff term change. As you don't want smart meters, please ignore the email you've received. You only need to contact us if you change your mind and decide to go for smart meters.

I'm sorry you've received an email with the wrong information and that our advisor didn't sort this when you spoke to them. To be clear, smart meters aren't mandatory on Fix Online Exclusive v11.

Hope this explains David_e. Please let me know if you've any further concerns as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Earlier in the year we had products on sale that did require smart meters fitting as part of the tariff terms. We've since changed this policy for later Fix Online tariffs and introduced the term above. This is what you've agreed to.
    Unless I'm missing something, earlier Fix Online products didn't have a smart meter requirement either.

T&C for earlier Fix Online products: https://www.eonenergy.com/-/media/PDFs/For-your-home/Res-Product-Terms/2018/fix-online.pdf?la=en
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

With Fix Online Exclusive v11, you've only agreed to be contacted about smart meters. These meters are optional and you can turn down our offers to fit them whilst staying on the tariff. The relevant T&C is section 11.1 which says the following.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

Thanks Malc.

Someone needs to tell the helpline. I was told categorically that a smart meter was "mandatory" on the tariff.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    I've switched to the "E.ON - Fix Online Exclusive v7" tariff and I've already had the texts and at least one email saying I need to have meters changed.

Erm, I agreed to be contacted about smart meters from the Ts & Cs of the tariff, so are EON still saying one thing in the contract and another in communications?

Malc or Helena, is this something you could comment on please?

P.S. I had to log on to Cheap Energy Club to get the name of my tariff as I can't see it when logged into EON's website and it's not in any of the emails from them for the switch.

Hello MothballsWallet and a similar thing applies to Fix Online Exclusive v7 as in my reply to David_e (#115 on 18 October 19) above.

You've only agreed to be contacted about smart meters. These meters are optional and you can turn down our offers to fit them whilst staying on the tariff. The relevant T&C is section 11.1 which says the following.

Please ignore the text/email you've received. You only need to contact us if you decide to go for smart meters.

Online, you can see the tariff name by going to 'my account' then 'check your current plan' and by choosing 'show rates.' It's also available via 'view my statement' on the landing page when logged on; or through the quote tool.

With the emails we send confirming a switch, the product name is at the bottom under 'your tariff details.'

I'm sorry for the conflicting information you've received MothballsWallet and hope this points you in the right direction.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    arun_s wrote: »
    I just had the same text message yesterday after I recently used MSE to switch to the E.ON - Fix Online Exclusive v8 and this is much after the cooling off period. There was no mention that it’s a condition of switching to the tariff.

Hi, it's E.ON. When you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted. We're now ready to come and fit your meter. You'll soon receive a text from 07507309513 to arrange an appointment. For more info about smart meters go to.....

Hi, it's E.ON. As part of your energy tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted. We've got appointments Mon to Fri, AM (8am-12pm) or PM (12pm-4pm). Please reply with the best day and time for you e.g. Monday PM.

Hello arun_s and welcome to the Forums.

A similar thing applies to Fix Online Exclusive v8 as in my replies to David_e (#115 on 18 October 19) and MothballsWallet (#119 today) above.

With this tariff, you've only agreed to be contacted about smart meters. These meters are optional and you can turn down our offers to fit them whilst staying on the tariff. The relevant T&C is section 11.1 which says the following.

Please ignore the text you've received. You only need to contact us if you decide to go for smart meters.

I'm sorry about the conflicting information arun_s and hope this explains.

Malc
    As I understand it the T&C for Fix Online never obligated customers into having a smart meter.

Nevertheless some months ago I got this letter which is clearly misleading.

It seems nothing has changed.

Hello oliverbrown and I replied to a similar post from you on another thread as below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76411193#post76411193

Thanks oliverbrown.

Malc
    I hope no-one minds me jumping on this thread ...

Background

I was with EverSmart with a “smart” meter. I had stacks of problems. Every time I asked them anything they “re-imaged” their invoices – usually ALL of them (I have 4 or 5 for almost every month). They’ve "gone" … well, something. The regulator has moved me to utilita about a month ago. I had a welcome pack; registered on their web site but I've not had any reply to an email I sent on day one and a further two messages I've sent since. TBA, I've had enough and your Cheap Energy Club emailed to say I should switch …

Today

I started the switching process to E.On – even though the utilita welcome pack said I shouldn’t.

Questions:

Will E.On use my probably v1 smart meter?

Everything I can find about reading a smart GAS meter says it has 6 numbers. Mine only has five & no decimal point (after the “VOLUME”). Yet all of my bills from Eversmart showed a decimal point in the reading – even though everything says to IGNORE after the decimal. Duh?
    Clarification needed please.

The numbers on dumb meters were far easier to read than the poor quality, must get the light right, no reflection, etc, displays on so called smart meters. PLUS, it was permanently displayed! No pressing buttons, catching it before it disappears hoping that cloud won’t moved …
    Why can’t readings be taken indoors? That display thing must know the real-time readings to calculate costs, etc.

Furthermore, why can’t suppliers ping the indoor unit saying they have just taken a reading for a bill?

Frankly, it looks to me as if someone has decided to get the most expensive option and then use almost none of its abilities. Although I can’t think why anyone might want to do that.

Hello Halifax_sux and many thanks for your interest in joining us.

Our ability to use the smart features on your existing SMETS1 meters will depend on their age and type. We won't know this until the switch has gone through and we've control of the meters.

As well as installing the latest SMETS2 meters, we're also looking to upgrade earlier SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes meters fitted by another company and now supplied by us. There are some early smart installations (mainly from 2014 and before) where this won't be possible. In these cases, we'll offer to replace the existing meters with SMETS2.

Where we can upgrade, this will be done remotely so there's no need to visit the property. We're trialling this now with a view to rolling it out very soon. In the meantime, the meters will return to a classic dumb mode and we'll ask for customer readings so we can keep accounts accurate. There are several ways to let us have readings including online through our website, phone app or Live Chat service; by phone or text, email or letter.

Hope this helps Halifax_sux. We'll be able to give you more information once we have control of the meters.

Malc
  • Halifax_sux
    Halifax_sux Posts: 180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2019 at 10:29AM
    Hi Malc of E.On,

Thanks for replying ...
    ... age and type ...
    Age of meter, well my diary says:
    2018-09-10: 13-1700 Eversmart Install Smart meter
    OK, that doesn't tell you if it was old stock.
    ... upgrade earlier SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2 ...
    These upgrades to existing SMETS1 meters, will they:

Make it possible to read them without standing in the rain?

Make the displays more readable in varying lighting conditions?

Change the display so that the only necessary reading, for a customer, is the only thing displayed?

Allow older people to read them without the need to kneel down?

Add the "missing" decimal point (according to popular folklore)?
    ... several ways to let us have readings including online through our website, phone app or Live Chat service; by phone or text, email or letter ...
    Do any of the ways to send in manual meter readings not involve kneeling in the rain or snow?

Sorry, I really do appreciate you replying but I did need to highlight why any Smart meter worth it's name MUST be able to be read indoors. Even when they are read by the industry remotely! With the experiences I've had recently I really do feel that everyone should do as an earlier poster does and take weekly, or at least monthly, readings and keep them in a spreadsheet or similar.

Thanks again
    Switzerland has Dignitasthe UK has DCA's, Bankers and Lawyers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback