Eversmart saying my deal isn't fixed.

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
OK, I've read that this has happened to others but I've just been on the phone to Eversmart, discussing why it has taken so long to switch my elec. to them and me asking, if it really will happen tomorrow as they now say, when will my fixed deal actually start? The answer - it was never a fixed deal.

My response was to quote them the wording in the welcome pack I received from them (the contract as I see it) that says (for both gas and elec.) :

"Tariff ends on 20th August 2019
Price guaranteed until 20th August 2019
Exit fees £0.00"

Not to mention the fact that this tariff was advertised as Fixed and that's why I applied for it.

I have lodged a complaint with them. They apparently have up to 56 days to resolve the issue or I can/will go to Ombudsman.

Have others had this problem and what was the outcome?

What a shower. Never had a problem with IRESA.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My deal with Eversmart started on 20th August and runs through to 20th August 2019 - it says so on my welcome pack.

It's called the Welcome Home tariff - it doesn't have the word fixed anywhere,it doesn't have the word variable either but as it's got an end date then it's fixed.

If yours says the same then you've got a contract with them. Hopefully you've downloaded and saved it so you've got evidence of the deal that they agreed with you
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    OK, I've read that this has happened to others but I've just been on the phone to Eversmart, discussing why it has taken so long to switch my elec. to them and me asking, if it really will happen tomorrow as they now say, when will my fixed deal actually start? The answer - it was never a fixed deal.

My response was to quote them the wording in the welcome pack I received from them (the contract as I see it) that says (for both gas and elec.) :

Exit fees £0.00"

Not to mention the fact that this tariff was advertised as Fixed and that's why I applied for it.

I have lodged a complaint with them. They apparently have up to 56 days to resolve the issue or I can/will go to Ombudsman.

Have others had this problem and what was the outcome?

What a shower. Never had a problem with IRESA.

What's the name of the tariff you will be on?

The Eversmart website appears to be down atm, but as far as I can see, neither of the 2 currently available tariffs from Eversmart, "Simply Smart" and "Goodbye Standing Charge" are fixed.

But Eversmart have issued fixed tariffs in the past.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    ... as it's got an end date then it's fixed.

It's not necessarily that black and white ;)

As you go onto say, the OP should refer to the Ts&Cs that apply.
  • JohnB47
    edited 26 October 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Well folks, here is an update.

My situation is exactly the same as yours matelodave, although I have been told it's not a fixed deal and you haven't! (And presumably many other people who think they are on a fixed deal are blissfully unaware of this too).

I've looked at the Terms And Conditions and under the heading Duration it says:

"5.1 If you have a 12 month fixed contract it will remain in force for a fixed term period of one year from the supply start date. At the end of your contract you will receive £20 as a thank you for your loyalty and you can choose to enter another fixed term contract or be put on our cheapest variable tariff and given written notice of this."

Like you matelodave, my contract says it's a Welcome Home Tariff. Nowhere does it say that this is a variable tariff and as I said before, it then says:

Exit fees £0.00"

I've also had a quick response to my raising a complaint with the Eversmart agent yesterday. Here is the verbatim email reply (name removed by me):

"Good evening Mr.

Thank you for making contact earlier.

The situation has been explained and I understand how frustrating this is. As advised by the agent we are unable to honour the tariff we agreed to. Then tariff is a variable rate tariff.

For the inconvenience I am happy to award you with compensation of £10 and also you would be free to transfer your supply with out any fees.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Complaints Team"

This is pretty unbelievable stuff. They admit that they agreed to a fixed tariff but are "unable to honour" it.

My next step is to reply that this is unacceptable and to ask how I can now progress my complaint with the Ombudsman. I'm not sure if I do that myself, independently, or whether Eversmart have have to somehow get involved from the start. Edit: looks like I just do that myself, after replying to Eversmart that their response isn't acceptable and see if they change their mind.

Is this something I should also flag to moneysavingexpert and if so, how? After all, it must involve many other of their customers.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started with Eversmart on 22nd August on their Welcome Home tariff

The Welcome Pack states the same as others have said "Price guaranteed until 22nd August 2019". I take that to mean that the unit price and standing charge will remain the same until that date.

I will certainly lodge a complaint if it turns out to be different!
  • Laurence_Harvey
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Well folks, here is an update.

My situation is exactly the same as yours matelodave, although I have been told it's not a fixed deal and you haven't! (And presumably many other people who think they are on a fixed deal are blissfully unaware of this too).

I've looked at the Terms And Conditions and under the heading Duration it says:

"5.1 If you have a 12 month fixed contract it will remain in force for a fixed term period of one year from the supply start date. At the end of your contract you will receive £20 as a thank you for your loyalty and you can choose to enter another fixed term contract or be put on our cheapest variable tariff and given written notice of this."

Like you matelodave, my contract says it's a Welcome Home Tariff. Nowhere does it say that this is a variable tariff and as I said before, it then says:

Exit fees £0.00"

I've also had a quick response to my raising a complaint with the Eversmart agent yesterday. Here is the verbatim email reply (name removed by me):

"Good evening Mr.

Thank you for making contact earlier.

The situation has been explained and I understand how frustrating this is. As advised by the agent we are unable to honour the tariff we agreed to. Then tariff is a variable rate tariff.

For the inconvenience I am happy to award you with compensation of £10 and also you would be free to transfer your supply with out any fees.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Complaints Team"

This is pretty unbelievable stuff. They admit that they agreed to a fixed tariff but are "unable to honour" it.

My next step is to reply that this is unacceptable and to ask how I can now progress my complaint with the Ombudsman. I'm not sure if I do that myself, independently, or whether Eversmart have have to somehow get involved from the start. Edit: looks like I just do that myself, after replying to Eversmart that their response isn't acceptable and see if they change their mind.

Is this something I should also flag to moneysavingexpert and if so, how? After all, it must involve many other of their customers.
    What a bunch of shysters! :eek:
  • niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have they informed you that prices are increasing?
    For me, eversmart are currently the cheapest by a mile. Their website has just been updated and they have a new family type tariff now which is variable. (as was the welcome home one)
  • tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The way its worded I am sure a judge would rule in your favour, after all, how would anyone interpret " Price guaranteed until 22nd August 2019 " other than it was fixed. I am of the same opinion, that's it is fixed until the end of my 12 months contract with them.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed.

However, I'm going to keep a hard copy of their Welcome Pack in a very safe place - just in case!
  • JohnB47
    edited 26 October 2018 at 4:18PM
    Options
    niktheguru wrote: »
    Have they informed you that prices are increasing?
    For me, eversmart are currently the cheapest by a mile. Their website has just been updated and they have a new family type tariff now which is variable. (as was the welcome home one)

That's my point - my Welcome Pack, which I regard as a contract, quotes a fixed price duration, so it is not variable, regardless of the name of the tariff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure