Engagement Rings (merged)

Comments

• The rule of thumb is two months salary.
    Some might think this is a bit much but if youre planning on doing this one once then its worth the investment! But make sure you get value for money!

Go to your local goldsmith (fine them in yellow pages) he can make something unique exactly how u want it.He will be able to advise you on stones and styles, dont be afraid to ask questions, thats wot hes there for.

Remember this is something she'll have been dreaming about her engagement ring forever so get it just right, it will be worth it!!
    Good luck!!!! ;) ;D ;D
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The rule of thumb is two months salary.  

macchicken is bbhcmikes' partner and I claim my £10 prize

you had me fooled for a minute ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It did have me fooled :-[
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    what, lost me altogether.
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    160 - look at who starts thread & replies compared to what macchicken says.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    got it. sorry bit slow this morning.
  • I can confirm there is no link between macchicken and myself!

However, I do find women are more inclined to say you should lose your life savings on a rock, although justifying it by saying they've dreamt of it all their lives doesn't really cut it. I've had plenty of dreams!....

Many people have suggested customising rings which I'm interested in, although would like to do it without her knowing really. That's half the fun isn't it, proposing with the actual ring there??

Am looking to buy in the next month so will come back and keep you all posted.
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    I can confirm there is no link between macchicken and myself!

Ooops
    :-[
    Still what is your gf attitude to amount spent -if she's looking at 1x salary for examp and discovers you've spent £15 -is she likely to be impressed ??? or will she be thrilled whatever she receives ???

I am just about to get new engagement ring. When we got engaged I had just lost our 1st baby,only 1 of us working and 2 mortgages. We bought what we could afford and agreed one day I'dhave more expensive one.
    Earlier this year we sold my house at a profit (after 7 years in neg equity) and decided to use some of money on new ring.

Still money saving cos agreed to have it as a birthday present & yesterday got 0% barclaycard thru so can keep money in bank earning interest and buy ring on cc.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hehehe I made up the bit about them being partners ;), it just looked like a perfect setup by a prospective fiance getting that little bit extra spent on her

sorry spendless :D

as for proposing with the ring, I agree on one hand but then on the other hand theres proposing without a ring then they can choose the ring themselevs and get exactly what they always dreamt off. Works both ways, sure they are thrilled whatever happens

(you could always time it so that your fiance has just told her parents that you're unlikely to propose anytime soon so they start spending what they'd saved for her wedding on that years holiday!) ::)
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When we got engaged, we chose it toghether and that was nice, (also he had no taste!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure