Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 22nd Oct 19, 1:10 AM
    • 593Posts
    • 3,911Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    Looking for new TV box
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:10 AM
    Looking for new TV box 22nd Oct 19 at 1:10 AM
    In short I am looking for a replacement TV box as my one has now...broken down. However, It`s trickier as I first imagined. With all of these sticks and boxes with this add on and add that on it`s muddled my brain.

We don`t want to be spending a fortune on one, As long as it has the main channels. I would also be interested in looking at Netflix etc.

We was looking at the NOWTV one with free sky sports, movies and so for the first 2 months, However it transpires that you would need to pay for these once expired so I am looking for something extra, Without the extra cost. Something that is easy to deal will also be advantage.

We are happy to be with any provider
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, 100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, 250 Zalando Voucher and 250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Oct 19, 8:24 AM
    • 4,752 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:24 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:24 AM
    In short I am looking for a replacement TV box as my one has now...broken down. However, It`s trickier as I first imagined. With all of these sticks and boxes with this add on and add that on it`s muddled my brain.

We don`t want to be spending a fortune on one, As long as it has the main channels. I would also be interested in looking at Netflix etc.

We was looking at the NOWTV one with free sky sports, movies and so for the first 2 months, However it transpires that you would need to pay for these once expired so I am looking for something extra, Without the extra cost. Something that is easy to deal will also be advantage.

We are happy to be with any provider
    Originally posted by Emmaaar22
    Knowing what the broken box was would help first off.

What do you actually watch now and what could you not do without? Do you have a smart TV and does that support everything that you need?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 13,612 Posts
    • 16,687 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    To be clear, you only have to pay for extra content on Now TV if you want it. You can buy a Now TV stick, use the bundled passes, cancel them, and continue to use the device for its free services.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 22nd Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    My old TV box is freeview.

As I said main channels would be the main thing we would like to have, The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage.
    Last edited by Emmaaar22; 22-10-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, 100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, 250 Zalando Voucher and 250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 22nd Oct 19, 11:48 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:48 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:48 AM
    To be clear, you only have to pay for extra content on Now TV if you want it. You can buy a Now TV stick, use the bundled passes, cancel them, and continue to use the device for its free services.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I understand but I don`t like having to keep forking out for these additional services. I`d much prefer to have the services without the hassle.

What free services does NOWTV have anyway?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd Oct 19, 1:15 PM
    • 13,444 Posts
    • 6,154 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:15 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:15 PM
    <The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage. >

As all these are paid for services you need to narrow the field a bit .
    Virgin or Sky are those with big packages .

But your posts read as you are looking for paid for services without paying for them .
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Oct 19, 1:55 PM
    • 13,612 Posts
    • 16,687 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:55 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:55 PM
    What free services does NOWTV have anyway?
    - BBC iPlayer with live BBC channels over the Internet,
    - ITV Hub with live ITV channels over the Internet,
    - All 4 with archive of C4 content and internet-only extras,
    - My 5 with archive of C5 content and a variety of bought-in content,
    - UKTV Player with content from Dave, Drama and Yesterday (IIRC),
    - Youtube,
    - Sky News - live and catch-up,
    - TED and other minor video and audio services.

Netflix is also available at additional cost.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 22-10-2019 at 1:59 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 22nd Oct 19, 1:59 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:59 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:59 PM
    <The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage. >

As all these are paid for services you need to narrow the field a bit .
    Virgin or Sky are those with big packages .

But your posts read as you are looking for paid for services without paying for them .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

Well it`s a good thing I`ve been looking at Sky Q then
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 22nd Oct 19, 2:01 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:01 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:01 PM
    - BBC iPlayer with live BBC channels over the Internet,
    - ITV Hub with live ITV channels over the Internet,
    - All 4 with archive of C4 content and internet-only extras,
    - My 5 with archive of C5 content and a variety of bought-in content,
    - UKTV Player with content from Dave, Drama and Yesterday (IIRC),
    - Youtube,
    - Sky News - live and catch-up,
    - TED and other minor video and audio services.

Netflix is also available at additional cost.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

thank you very much most helpful
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Oct 19, 2:54 PM
    • 24,903 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    thank you very much most helpful
    Do realise that a NOW TV decoder will need to be connected to the internet, unlike your current set up which relies solely (in all likelihood) on an aerial. Do you have fast enough broadband to cope with streaming TV services along with the other demands already placed on your connection?
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 22nd Oct 19, 3:35 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    wongataa
    My old TV box is freeview.

As I said main channels would be the main thing we would like to have, The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage.
    Just buy a new Freeview box that has Netflix or Youview box then. Youview boxes have Netflix.
    • hareng
    • By hareng 22nd Oct 19, 9:11 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    hareng
    Managed to retain my BT box despite cancelling, same as Youview can find for peanuts on Ebay.
    Will need internet and terrestrial aerial.

Must be an old telly ours is a 7 yr old model Panny that has it built in Freesat and Freeview.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 25th Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, as above really. If you get a YouView box it will allow you to watch and record Freeview channels. They have some apps - the main ones like BBC, ITV etc. Mine has the Netflix app, which allows you to access Netflix if you have paid for a subscription. It also has a Now TV app, which is movies only at the minute, so I use the Now app via my TV or pS4.
    The NOW TV boxes are pretty good, and with 2 months free access, the box is probably free really. As said earlier, you just use the free passes that come with the box, cancel your subscription before the free passes expire, then you don't pay anything. You just create an account on their website and manage everything from there. You'll probably also get special offers to continue subscribing if you want to. I dip in and out with my subscription, currently got sports on a 10 month pass, but not movies or entertainment. Will probably get movies nearer to Christmas for a month.
    Now TV is Sky TV content, but is usually a cheaper way of getting Sky content than actually having Sky. The main difference is that Now TV is all streamed, not in full HD (although quality is pretty good if your BB is good - 720hp). You can't record Now TV output, but most is available on catch up or box sets or on demand, so not a big issue for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,163Posts Today

8,956Users online

Martin's Twitter