Co-OP and the tale of age verification

Comments

• Scarlet_Fever
    Scarlet_Fever Posts: 447 Forumite
    pimento wrote: »
    My 17 year old son works part time at the Co-Op and if he sells cigs or booze to an underage it isn't the Co-Op who gets into trouble, it's him. I'd rather he turned 20 people away wrongly than get done for selling something to an underage person.

He's not a jobsworth, just a kid.

he cant sell booze anyway if he is 17.... he has to get an adult to approve it :-)
    Willow: I knew it, I knew it, well not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    I am but a simple customer of food retail establishments. I have read the original post and I am thoroughly confused by some of the subsequent responses in this thread. Will those amongst you with experience of working in the food retail industry please answer the following questions?

If you were responsible for entering data into a food retailer's database, would you identify an alcohol free pasta based cooking sauce as requiring age verifiication?

Most of the databases are not input by people but either use word recognition or by department. So the whole of wines and spirits department will ask for ID or anything with certain words in eg Red Wine Sauce. These can, and are usually corrected manually when someone in store notices.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    Storck wrote: »
    Most of the databases are not input by people but either use word recognition or by department. So the whole of wines and spirits department will ask for ID or anything with certain words in eg Red Wine Sauce. These can, and are usually corrected manually when someone in store notices.

Luckily such things as databases did not exist in the very early 1980s when I was both under 18 and sported burgundy loafers and a burgundy leather look safari jacket as one of my fashion faux pas.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Today's ludicrous request for ID:

I was in the queue behind a lady, and in front of her was a young lad from work. He was buying 2 boxes of beer on offer for £16. He had his ID.
    As he got to the front of the queue, a young man walked past carrying his shopping and said "Hi Michael. All right?". Michael nodded and said hello.
    Michael showed his ID to the checkout lady, who rang a little bell and a "manager" came along.
    "I'm sorry" he said, "But I'll need to see your friend's ID as well".
    But Michael insisted he was on his own.
    The Manager said that he couldn't serve him unless his "friend" - ie the colleague from work who'd just said hello to him - was found and agreed to provide ID. He had left the store by now, of course.
    Michael pointed out that this was a bit silly, so the Manager said "OK, you can buy one case of the beer, but not two". "But it's on special offer for £16 and one case is £12!" said Michael.
    The manager thought for a few minutes, and then decided that "on this occasion" he would let him have the beer. But in future, he would need to provide ID for everyone.
    What? Everyone?! Everyone at work? Everyone he went to school with? Everyone in Tesco at the moment that he buys his alcohol? Everyone in his family? Everyone he knows?
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    Forumite
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281063/Engaged-33-year-old-refused-bottle-wine-Tesco--ID.html#comments

"My Local ASDA refused to seel wine to me, because my son who was 17 was unable to provide ID... I stated he could not provide ID as he was not 18 years of age…"
  • SusieWinwood
    SusieWinwood Posts: 253 Forumite
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281063/Engaged-33-year-old-refused-bottle-wine-Tesco--ID.html

Seems Tesco are on a mission too!

Common sense prevails I think!

Susie
    Susie
    "A woman is like a tea bag:
    you never know how strong she is
    until she gets in hot water."
  • TheMiner
    TheMiner Posts: 619 Forumite
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281063/Engaged-33-year-old-refused-bottle-wine-Tesco--ID.html

Seems Tesco are on a mission too!

Common sense prevails I think!

Susie

Can't believe he paid for his shopping - I'd have just walked out. Saying that tho, I do carry ID (Citizencard obtained free when I bought a Glastonbury ticket a few years ago - never had to use it for alcohol buying purposes tho despite being 38 and retaining my boyish good looks :D)
    £5k+ since Jul 2008.
  • CWCDiver
    CWCDiver Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    Hahahahaha just back from the same Co-Op, was in a rush and I attempted to buy a 4 pack of beer, asked for ID, thankfully had my driving licence in my wallet because I'd had to hire a car, was told I couldn't be served because they're not allowed to sell alcohol to police officers. Didn't even argue this time, just rolled my eyes at the woman and walked out, went to Sainsbury, used the new self checkout thing didn't have to interact with any idiots and now I am home drinking said beer.
    It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle cannot replace the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel.

The British Cavalry Manual 1907.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    CWCDiver wrote: »
    Hahahahaha just back from the same Co-Op, was in a rush and I attempted to buy a 4 pack of beer, asked for ID, thankfully had my driving licence in my wallet because I'd had to hire a car, was told I couldn't be served because they're not allowed to sell alcohol to police officers. Didn't even argue this time, just rolled my eyes at the woman and walked out, went to Sainsbury, used the new self checkout thing didn't have to interact with any idiots and now I am home drinking said beer.

Not allowed to sell to police officers or firemen or taxi drivers - who are on duty is a licence condition in many cases. They were obviously to thick to understand that.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    Forumite
    A couple of weeks back the stupid self-service machine in Morrisons put an "age-restriction" on my Sunday Times !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure