PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• *sighs* .... or, you could do the same, but toss it into the nuker and blitz/stir for about 10 minutes until you get the same result.

:)

Unless it's volume & dish sizes preventing you .... it's quicker.

No "nuker" Pastures:rotfl:. I read rather a lot about microwaves years back now - and got rid of mine on the spot.....

Don't want one.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Celeriac - love the stuff but almost impossible to get a decent sized one round here. I tried growing it once what didn't get slugged was the size of golf balls.
    I love it made into rosti or remoulade salad:)

MTMS - try adding some of the chickpea water instead of plain water to the hummous mix, gives it a lovely texture as does a little plain yoghurt blitzed in;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I read rather a lot about microwaves years back now - and got rid of mine on the spot.....

Don't want one.

So long as you don't put kittens and small children in them ... they're OK.

More recent studies, investigating the "scare" stories of yesteryear have said they're fine.

Look at all that "phone/fry your brain" stuff..... for most people that was never an issue either.
  • Thanks for the suggestions MTSTM, but I'm struggling for freezer space (just a small one above fridge) so I need to eat stuff before I can get more in.

Fine tuning the menu plan and I thought I'd have the banana and a pear with some yoghurt for my breakfast.

I have a good selection of soups in the freezer so tomorrows lunch is going to be Cauliflower cheese soup & a Stilton scone.

Menu plan for Thurs tea is fish, I did fancy having some fish fingers but on the other hand if I defrost a cod or salmon fillet I could do it Asian style with stir fried pak choi, broccoli & leek - oh decisions, decisions.

Caronc, thanks for the ideas, celeriac is new to me so thought I might try it raw and cooked to see how I prefer it.

I tried pumpkin for the first time two weeks ago - boring - but I suppose most of that family of veg need herbs and spice to make them a bit more interesting.
  • caronc
    Pumpkin definitely needs spicing up IMHO. Pumpkin bread is fab, try this if you like making your own bread (wrapped it keeps really well). http://allotmentupdates.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/a-savoury-loaf-of-pumpkin-bread.html I make this every year when the pumpkins are on SO, so good with butter and cheese or just dipped in soup. Makes fab soup as well with jarred red peppers, stock, lots of paprika & garlic and milk and also a really good "korma-type sauce" mixed with curry paste and coconut milk. The only way I don't like it is in pumpkin pie - too sweet for me!

Celeriac is definitely a different beastie between cooked and raw. I love it both ways!
  • caronc
    Ended up with mince & mash and buttered kale, real wintery food but it's a horrible, wet night:)
  • So long as you don't put kittens and small children in them ... they're OK.

More recent studies, investigating the "scare" stories of yesteryear have said they're fine.

Look at all that "phone/fry your brain" stuff..... for most people that was never an issue either.

Ah....but I've been reading all the other stuff thereafter - ie about killing some of the "Life Force" in foods when they are microwaved. Personally - I'd take a bet they're right on that and I want my food to still have all its goodness in it (well as much as one can get in our modern day world - where we know the nutrient value of food has shot down since around the time I was born).

I may or may not be right on that - but I'll stick with it re having as little microwaved food as possible.

Though, goodness knows, there wouldnt be room for a microwave in my kitchen anyway - by the time I have a dehydrator, two types of food processor, my Vitamix blender, my slow-cooker and all my assorted cooking paraphernalia of bowls/casserole dishes/etc.:rotfl:

EDIT; I'd agree with Caron re spicing up pumpkin. Increasingly these days I've taken to adding as many different flavourings (herbs/spices/whatever) to my food - as it's astonishing what a difference it can make.
  • I think I'm going to have toast with ackee, spinach and tomatoes this morning. I feel very hungry!:)
    Farway wrote: »

Now coughing like I smoke 40 a day [non smoker BTW, stopped over 40 years ago]. Up in middle of night grabbing the cough mixture, works fine but wears off of course

Stayed in again, just not up to it with sniffling & hacking. Plenty of food in so no need to go out

I hope you are feeling better.x
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I want to cook some little biscuits. But I don't have ANY of the ingredients... I could scrape together the flour, probably by mixing plain and SR ... and I could use L1dl cheap buttery stuff (whereas I'd have preferred a block of stork/similar) .... and I've sugar, but not caster sugar ... but ... ah, if I DO just use that spread then I could make them....but I've no jam, so I'd have to use lemon curd or marmalade.

Currently contemplating weighing the flours I've got to see if I've enough ... I need to pop out for a block of baking marg .... the sugar I've got "would do" .... but jam would be nice.... so I need jam.

I've never got everything I'd need to make most stuff I fancy.

Will probably make another chilli today as I cut an onion in half yesterday, so I can use that other half up .... and I can use the rest of the nasty long grain rice and get rid of it once and for all. Must remember to buy a bag of basmati while out.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2017 at 8:15PM
    I want to cook some little biscuits. But I don't have ANY of the ingredients...

I've never got everything I'd need to make most stuff I fancy.
    I'm the same today, I want to make a raspberry bakewell sponge to use as a cake this evening and as a pudding with custard over the weekend, but haven't got any ground almonds. I bought the fresh raspberries this morning and didn't realise I was out of almonds. I'm now about to go up to the town to get some :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure